Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 chassis help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1/6 chassis help

i have a 1/6 hummer body and i want to make a scaler out of it. im going to use wraith axles ut i dont know what to use for a frame.. any ideas?
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1/6 chassis help

i would buy the wraith skid then buy some 1/2 inch square tube bend the tube and cut it in half then all you have to worry about is the shock hoops ,the links all bolt up to the skid.or get some 1/4 inch square solid rod and do the same without having to cut it but have to be identical hope this helps.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

when you say cut it in half, do you mean make it C channel?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK BOY View Post
when you say cut it in half, do you mean make it C channel?
yes, first bend the square tubing to the desired frame shape, then cut it in half to make symetrical, mirror-image C-channels.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

sorry i have never done anything like this before. lol thanks you all.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have made a few now, I guess its time someone posts a vid on frame bending and cutting. I will see if I can get something put together this next weekend. I will post a link as soon as I get it done.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
I have made a few now, I guess its time someone posts a vid on frame bending and cutting. I will see if I can get something put together this next weekend. I will post a link as soon as I get it done.

yeah, pls do. I scored one of the new bright h2t's and wanna build a c channel chassis, but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to bend square tubing without creasing or tweaking the hell out of it.
slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipangle View Post
yeah, pls do. I scored one of the new bright h2t's and wanna build a c channel chassis, but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to bend square tubing without creasing or tweaking the hell out of it.
lol, its not bad...dont heat it up and work your bends dont bend in one spot. Just so you know ahead of time, I use everything around to make bends except my pipe bender. I will get something put together.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Ok so my I cant make a vid right now because I brook my camcorder so. I will do what I can, lol.

Ok when bending a frame you need to start with a full 6' stick of 1/2" sqaure tube. Just makes it easier to bend with a full stick.

First thing to do is find out what you want, I draw it up on 1/4" graph paper and make it to the scale you want.

I then Take my stick and do some marking on it with a silver sharpy so I can get a good idea where to start. Dont start your bends right at the end of the tubing because it makes it very hard to get it bent.

I use anything I can that is strong enough to bend the tube. Most people just stick it in the vice heat it up and bend it.. Dont do this if you want smooth bends. It will take a little mmore to bend it but it will be a smoother if you dont heat it, heat tends to make it bend in just the hot spot. SO if you want to use a vice dont clamp it down and dont heat it.

Ok so you are ready. Take the tubing place it in your bending spot, what ever you decide, I have use the holes in my table saw, the cross tubes on my shop smith, and the reciever hitch on my van..lol Test some different things to see what will work for you.

Bending, I start bending slow and as you bend you need to move the tubing. Bend a little, slide the tubing 1/4-1/2" bend a little more, move it again and bend again. YOu want to work through the bend and make it as even as possible. If you need a bend to go the other way, flit it over and do the same thing, also you can take some bend out if needed.

Line it up on your drawing and see where you need to bend to get it right.

If you need a sharp bend, then clamp it down in the vice and pull it slowly, you may need to over bend and flip it to take some of it out, this help it stay straighter side to side. You will get some side to side warping as you bend. Just try to work it back to as staight as you can.

Ok I hope you got this from what I have told you so far. Once you start it will make more sence.

Next, Figure out if you need any holes drilled. It is alot easier to drill before you cut it in half and you have the holes lined up in both sides.

Cut it to the lenght you need/want. I use my cutoff saw, but use what you have.

Now the tricky part....I have had to use several things to split the rails. I like using my table saw with a thin cut off wheel and cut it really slow. Lots of people use different thing to get this done. Ideas would be, bandsaw, hacksaw, dremal, grinder with the thin cut off wheel, and saws all.. many more things you could use, again use what you have.

Hope this helps and I hope more people chime in and thow in there 2cents

Thanks

I will still try to get a vid, as soon as I can.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

There are various options, the split 1/2" sq. tube is popular, although you do need the tools to do this, torch, bandsaw, drillpress ect. You could use 1/8" Alum sheet and cut out the shape needed, band saw required, or just use Alum C channel, and make a straight frame chassis like the big rig RC's have. Another option is to extend the center or rear portion of an Axial SCX10 type chassis with some Alum channel. It all depends on the tools and equipment you have available, and the required skills.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Just checking to see if my post helped explain anything. let me know.

thanks