Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: transmission options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default transmission options

so i been gathering some parts for my willys build and i was thinking of using a r3 tranny (when they release them separate from the tf2) but while i was cruising rc4wd today i came across this
Transmission :: V2 HD Twin Motor Transmission - RC4WD International Site - The Ultimate RC Offroad Products
do you think this would be a good thing to use in one?
would two motors be beneficial in one of these?
which do you think would be a better choice?
this will be my first large scale rig and id like some opinions from some of you that have built some already
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: transmission options

When I first got my Orange Willys built I used an R2 and a killer t-case, both were bad choices. The Killer t-case just wasn't strong enough for the weight of this jeep and the R2 was just too damn noisy, and eventually too weak to hold together. I rebuilt everything using an AX-10 trans, absolutely bone stock and a Disruptor t-case, it's been running perfectly for almost 2 years.

I'd like to try one of the R3's when they come out but for the time being, I'm using a gear motor combo I got from robotmarketplace.com for my next Jeep.

I personally don't see where a dual motor setup would be helpful, plus there isn't a lot of room under the hood because you still have to cram all of the electronics and a steering servo under the hood as well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
RCP CRAWLERS

I agree with BigSki
Axial/disruptor set-up is best ...close to 400 hours on mine
(you will get more run time on each battery with one motor)
I think the good combo is 3cell lipo and 45t motor
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

run times on batterys wouldn't be a big deal for me,... i wanna do something a lil out of the ordinary... kinda wanna try the new r3 tranny and the new transfer case in one of these. not sure if they will hold up to the abuse though and when i came across the v2 tranny i figured it would have tons of torque to push one of these heavy beasts over some rocks, and it looks pretty solid inside. it would be a hard fit with all the other electronics but im crafty at hiding things other places.

i got some gcm60 axles (gcm metalhead axles with longer tubes for ar60 width) to throw under it so im not worried about blowin up my axles ... ill post a start to the build once i get my vanquish parts to finish off my axles...

Last edited by brandonwalsh420; 04-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looking foward to the progress, I love these willy's builds.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't see the need for two motors, not in this day and age, and not even for a rig as big as these. Maybe back when a "motor" was a plain 540 silver can, but nowadays when you can get brushless motors and whatnot? Total overkill. And that will also eat up all the under-hood space which you will need to fit other stuff.

You want to spec' an Axial transmission and a Disruptor T-case for availability, longevity, and ease of installation. The Axial trans will fit in the Joe Jeep engine bay and leave 50% of it free for other stuff like the steering servo, ESC, battery, etc. It's "footprint" is small so the curved engine bay floor is not an issue, just spot 4 holes and bolt it down.

The Disruptor transfer case installs in the Joe Jeep frame so perfectly, you'd almost think it was designed specifically for the Hasbro toy chassis.

I run those with a Holmes 10t Cobalt Puller and a Tekin FX-R. Both torque and wheelspeed (and plenty of 'em too) in one package...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

im using a dragon willys kit and i plan on making frame rails from some square tube cut in half. i have a nice welder and soldering setup and i will be welding custom mounts for things so im not worried about fabbing stuff up. i think i will opt against the v2 tranny (because of size mainly, it could be used with only one motor though). axial tranny seems to be the popular pick, but im really interested in using a r3 tranny and the new transfer case, i like how scale they both look

any opinions on using the trailfinder 2 r3 tranny and trans case... does anyone out there with one think they will hold up to the abuse? maybe i should ask in the trailfinder 2 sub furum too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I don't see the need for two motors, not in this day and age, and not even for a rig as big as these. Maybe back when a "motor" was a plain 540 silver can, but nowadays when you can get brushless motors and whatnot? Total overkill. And that will also eat up all the under-hood space which you will need to fit other stuff.

You want to spec' an Axial transmission and a Disruptor T-case for availability, longevity, and ease of installation. The Axial trans will fit in the Joe Jeep engine bay and leave 50% of it free for other stuff like the steering servo, ESC, battery, etc. It's "footprint" is small so the curved engine bay floor is not an issue, just spot 4 holes and bolt it down.

The Disruptor transfer case installs in the Joe Jeep frame so perfectly, you'd almost think it was designed specifically for the Hasbro toy chassis.

I run those with a Holmes 10t Cobalt Puller and a Tekin FX-R. Both torque and wheelspeed (and plenty of 'em too) in one package...

transmission options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Force Transmission options Nonsonic Kyosho Crawlers 4 06-17-2010 01:34 AM
hi lux transmission options 4x4wheelier 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 11-25-2008 07:08 PM
Axizl Transmission VS Wheely King Transmission Tonelock HPI Wheely King 13 09-03-2008 12:39 PM
TLT transmission options for your crawler TLTCrawlin Tamiya TLT Crawlers 32 02-07-2007 12:34 PM