RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Large Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/)
-   -   the green dragon... 1:6 willys built a lil different. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/382565-green-dragon-1-6-willys-built-lil-different.html)

brandonwalsh420 05-09-2012 01:10 AM

the green dragon... 1:6 willys built a lil different.

6 Attachment(s)
i been gathering up parts for a month or 2 now. i plan on painting it green and it will be built from a dragon willys kit... hence the name :mrgreen:. i still need alot more things but i set up some poser shots with what i have so far...

parts so far:
Dragon SAS 4x4 desert raider willys kit
tss versante rims
GCM60 axles (gcm metalheads with custom tubes by Die-Laughing)
RC4WD hammer t case
RC4WD R3 transmission
lots of vanquish goodies on the front axle (c-hubs, knuckles, titanium tie rod)
dlux no slop kingpin bushings
fast eddy wraith bearing kit
gunnar axle hex pins
axial front universals
axial ar60 rear strait axles
axial over and under hardened gear sets (ordered but on back order :cry:)
msd quicksand 8274 warn winch
stainless shock and link mounts
lee ermey (extra salty version)
1:6 scale kirkey seats with harnesses from team3six
small mp3 player
small rc car for a project i have planed for ermey (rc push button to make him talk)

lots of parts to go still, i got alot of ideas brewing in my head :mrgreen:

questions, advice, and comments are appreciated "thumbsup"

701 Technique 05-09-2012 01:23 AM

Re: the green dragon... 1:6 willys built a lil different.

Subscribed"thumbsup"

Looks like a good start so far... but it was actually the Trailer Park Boys quote that caught my attention:mrgreen:

brandonwalsh420 05-09-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 701 Technique (Post 3723335)
Subscribed"thumbsup"

Looks like a good start so far... but it was actually the Trailer Park Boys quote that caught my attention:mrgreen:

nice "thumbsup"... had to change it tho,... it wouldnt let me add a link to this build with it :cry:... also noticed your in nd, i got some mineral rights over there "thumbsup"

701 Technique 05-09-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 (Post 3723341)
nice "thumbsup"... had to change it tho,... it wouldnt let me add a link to this build with it :cry:... also noticed your in nd, i got some mineral rights over there "thumbsup"

Yes sir living in the wild western ND... Mineral rights huh? Verrrrrry nice"thumbsup" also explains your expensive ass parts list!

brandonwalsh420 05-09-2012 03:10 AM

lol... my royalty checks are small (275 bucks last month), but i did get a nice check for back pay... 2 years worth :mrgreen:... had to fight a epic court battle to get them tho. i didnt put any prices with the parts list cause i dont want to think about it :oops:... it will easily be over a grand when finished... gotta pay to play tho :mrgreen:.

Big Mike 05-09-2012 07:48 AM

Wow - this is a nice list of stuff to work with.

That is the model kit chassis? It looks like it could be reinforced like a Hasbro chassis, with aluminum stock inside the plastic.

R3 looks nice. Have you been inside it yet?

How bout the transfer case, you have plans for inside it? The Hammer case looks so perfect, just like a miniature Atlas, but the other guys warned me off of it when I was building mine. I know Bigski has killed one. Just a thought...

Subbed...

brandonwalsh420 05-09-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Mike (Post 3723558)
Wow - this is a nice list of stuff to work with.

That is the model kit chassis? It looks like it could be reinforced like a Hasbro chassis, with aluminum stock inside the plastic.

R3 looks nice. Have you been inside it yet?

How bout the transfer case, you have plans for inside it? The Hammer case looks so perfect, just like a miniature Atlas, but the other guys warned me off of it when I was building mine. I know Bigski has killed one. Just a thought...

Subbed...

it is the chassis from the kit... it also comes with the windshield even tho its not in the picture on the box. i probably could reinforce the chassis and use it... im still flip flopping between doing that or making one from square tubing. i havent broke all the way into it yet, but i took the spur off the r3 and reclocked it to upright, im thinking im gonna have to do something to the slipper clutch like eliminate it or crank it down real tight at least. i wasnt aware anyone had killed a hammer t case in one of these... i know the killer t case is garbage in one but the insides of the hammer t case looked a bit stronger (bigger middle gear)... guess ill have to try it and see what happens. im hoping i dont kill the r3 with the monstrous weight of this thing when its done...

TJ Steve 05-09-2012 06:25 PM

First off, this Willys is gonna be awesome "thumbsup"
I'm slowly gathering parts for mine.
I don't know much about these, but after reading your post I got on RC4WD and all they have listed are the Killer T Cases. Where and when did you buy this Hammer T Case? Was the cost the same?
Thanks,
Steve

Die-Laughing 05-09-2012 06:46 PM

Awesome!

subscribed"thumbsup"

brandonwalsh420 05-09-2012 07:07 PM

@steve,
price was comparable, little more but not bad... i got both the tranny and transfer case off ebay from someone parting out tf2 kits... give ebay a search "thumbsup"
@die-laughing
thanks again for the axles "thumbsup"... the front fought me the whole way but there is literally NO slop anywhere in them. had to sand the tubes a lil to make the bearings slide in, had to sand down the insides of the chubs to make them fit over the tubes, had to sand the knuckles a lil so the king pin bushing would fit in, then i had to sand the bottom of the bushings so they would slide onto the chubs.

it was kinda a PITA to sand it all by hand, but i prefer my axles like my women... nice and tight with NO slop :lmao:

701 Technique 05-09-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 (Post 3724559)
it was kinda a PITA to sand it all by hand, but i prefer my axles like my women... nice and tight with NO slop :lmao:

You can always send the sloppy ones my way:mrgreen: serious lack of poon in ND right now, something like 60:1 ratio... No joke:cry:

brandonwalsh420 05-10-2012 02:55 AM

found this while searching the web today... lots of amazing detail work on one of these kits. definately gonna have to steal some of his ideas"thumbsup"
Armorama :: DML 1/4 Ton 4x4 Truck

the motor he built is flat out amazing, way excessive for an rc but awesome styrene work...

Big Mike 05-10-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 (Post 3724369)
i wasnt aware anyone had killed a hammer t case in one of these... i know the killer t case is garbage in one but the insides of the hammer t case looked a bit stronger (bigger middle gear)... guess ill have to try it and see what happens. im hoping i dont kill the r3 with the monstrous weight of this thing when its done...

Sorry I'm mixed up :oops: with the Hammer you should be fine. The gears are at least 50% beefier. My fault.

If you think about keeping the weight reasonable through the build it should be fine. Mine ended up tipping the scale at 11 lbs. Now that I have all steel driveline components it's good to go. Plastic yoke ears and aluminum outdrives did not cut it.

Unless you go nuts and create a 15-16 lb. hog you'll be fine...

brandonwalsh420 05-10-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Sorry I'm mixed up :oops: with the Hammer you should be fine. The gears are at least 50% beefier. My fault.

If you think about keeping the weight reasonable through the build it should be fine. Mine ended up tipping the scale at 11 lbs. Now that I have all steel driveline components it's good to go. Plastic yoke ears and aluminum outdrives did not cut it.

Unless you go nuts and create a 15-16 lb. hog you'll be fine...
im kinda worried about how heavy it will be when finished... just the axles without wheels weigh in at about a pound each :shock:... trans and transfer case are about another pound,... still need the motor, roll cage, frame, tires and wheels, electronics, battery, driver, and i was thinking of trying to hide the motor in a 1:6 scale engine model.... may have to reconsider adding it to the build cause they are definately not lightweight... maybe i could ditch the diecast block and build one out of styrene or something...

BigSki 05-10-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 (Post 3725816)
im kinda worried about how heavy it will be when finished... just the axles without wheels weigh in at about a pound each :shock:... trans and transfer case are about another pound,... still need the motor, roll cage, frame, tires and wheels, electronics, battery, driver, and i was thinking of trying to hide the motor in a 1:6 scale engine model.... may have to reconsider adding it to the build cause they are definately not lightweight... maybe i could ditch the diecast block and build one out of styrene or something...

The weight adds up very quickly, my blue Jeep is already at 14 lbs and I've got a lot more tube work to do plus a driver. I'm anxious to see how well the R3 works, I want to use one of them so badly but I just don't have the funds to do it right now. Does that t-case have any reduction or is it a 1:1 case, I can't remember. I love the looks of it. Keep up the good work!

brandonwalsh420 05-10-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

The weight adds up very quickly, my blue Jeep is already at 14 lbs and I've got a lot more tube work to do plus a driver. I'm anxious to see how well the R3 works, I want to use one of them so badly but I just don't have the funds to do it right now. Does that t-case have any reduction or is it a 1:1 case, I can't remember. I love the looks of it. Keep up the good work!
the t case is definately not 1:1... i turned the output shaft a half turn and the input turned roughly 3/4 of a turn... not sure on the ratio but if someone knows i would love to be enlightened on it... eventually im gonna need to do the math on all the ratios to figure out what motor to use to power it... not looking forward to that part (dont know how to calculate that yet :oops:).

edit: found this info
All New Hammer Transfer Case
Ratio - 1.47:1
Gears - Wide 32P steel gears
Features - 8 bearings, cast casing, hardened gears

All New R3 2 Speed Transmission
Ratios
Pinion/spur 14/64 = 4.57:1
1st gear 3.47:1
2nd gear 1.27:1

snydercj7 05-10-2012 04:39 PM

Nice start. Git'r dun! Like I have room to talk with the time mine has taken.

701 Technique 05-10-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 (Post 3725090)
found this while searching the web today... lots of amazing detail work on one of these kits. definately gonna have to steal some of his ideas"thumbsup"
Armorama :: DML 1/4 Ton 4x4 Truck

the motor he built is flat out amazing, way excessive for an rc but awesome styrene work...

That level of detail is astonishing. Can't imagine putting that much time and energy into a model and then just have it sit there:shock:

brandonwalsh420 05-10-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 701 Technique (Post 3726489)
... Can't imagine putting that much time and energy into a model and then just have it sit there:shock:

i thought the same thing... i like the idea for the dash lights and some of the styrene work he did to the body tho... he probly has a crazy amount of time spent on it...

Die-Laughing 05-15-2012 06:41 AM

Did you figure out link/shock mounts yet? I made some stainless pieces you may be interested in.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

brandonwalsh420 05-16-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die-Laughing (Post 3732788)
Did you figure out link/shock mounts yet? I made some stainless pieces you may be interested in.

nice "thumbsup".. pm sent :mrgreen:

Die-Laughing 05-16-2012 05:54 PM

Here's the upper link mount I came up with.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2514/img1443ey.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5614/img1444f.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3555/img1449a.jpg

I designed it to butt up against the differential on the long side and be dead center on the axle. The link/shock mounts can go wherever you want.

I got them bagged up and ready to ship. PM me your address"thumbsup"

brandonwalsh420 06-03-2012 08:38 PM

8 Attachment(s)
made a remote control lee ermey (extra salty style:mrgreen:) this weekend... works great and i dont need to have the function take up one of the four channels that i already have plans for... used a coke can rc and stuffed all the electronics in his torso, then i made the controller smaller so it would look/fit better when i velcro it to my controller... has a pretty decent range of 10 ft which is fine by me "thumbsup"...

i also cut/welded a frame from 1/2" square tube... gotta cut it down the center and grind some welds down still... ill post pics of it once i get it closer to done 8)

701 Technique 06-03-2012 10:55 PM

What exactly is that driver gonna do???

Big Mike 06-04-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 701 Technique (Post 3762501)
What exactly is that driver gonna do???

From what I'm seein', he's gonna be able to bark out some classic R. Lee lines, remotely activated from his transmitter while he's driving.

Nice job fitting all that inside of ol' Gunny! That's gonna be a cool little feature...

brandonwalsh420 06-04-2012 03:17 PM

thanks for explainin mike "thumbsup"... got some other cool things planned... bringing some of my micro skills to the large scale area :mrgreen:

BigSki 06-04-2012 03:57 PM

It looks like you've stuffed the micro RC drive train inside of R.Lee, I'm guessing he might give a hand gesture??:shock:

brandonwalsh420 06-04-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 3763298)
It looks like you've stuffed the micro RC drive train inside of R.Lee, I'm guessing he might give a hand gesture??:shock:

he just talks via a remote control now "thumbsup"... works good for scaring people when i set it some where too :lmao:

brandonwalsh420 06-11-2012 11:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
lee ermey was working great for awhile... then his voice sounded like crap and now he wont even talk... i think i killed the speaker inside (it was rusty and i moved it around alot). so now i have to take him apart to find out whats going on :x...

i did make some good progress on my dash this weekend :mrgreen:... functional glovebox door that hides buttons to a mp3 player... the small metal "toggle" switch controls the on/off switch for the mp3 player... i didnt picture it, but i made a switch cover for the toggle switch out of diamond plate which will make it look better than it does now. i also drilled holes to mount leds to shine light on the gauges. then i drilled and taped some holes in my framerails to mount them to the chassis... added some spacers to the body to bring the frame rails down slightly so there is a tiny gap between the body and frame... still lots of work to go...

snydercj7 06-14-2012 05:23 PM

Build looks like it is coming along great. Any pics of the MSD Quicksand winch on the front? Looks kind of big, like it will be a good fit for a 1/6 scale rig.

brandonwalsh420 06-14-2012 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snydercj7 (Post 3778528)
Build looks like it is coming along great. Any pics of the MSD Quicksand winch on the front? Looks kind of big, like it will be a good fit for a 1/6 scale rig.

i think it fits the build well "thumbsup"... its too big to be 1:10 scale but too small to be 1:6... im sure its actual scale is somewhere in the middle of the two.... and heres that pic just cause you asked :mrgreen:

snydercj7 06-14-2012 08:34 PM

Very nice, thanks for posting. Yep, big for 1/10 small on 1/6. But it really does look good. Here is some thing I found to compare to a 1:1.
1951 Willys Jeep Cj3a Gear Mount Warn Winch Photo 4

brandonwalsh420 06-16-2012 02:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just bought my ticket to the 2012 axial northwest scale championship... i was told i could run this beast in the king of lucia 2.2.... it'll be the first comp thing ive ever done :oops:... hopefully i can finish this thing in time 8)

:edited for a short update:
heres a pic of the tranny mount i made... bumpers comin soon...

brandonwalsh420 06-19-2012 12:12 AM

so i been mocking up the axles and im undecided on whether the diff should be offset on the driver or passenger side... most the pics on google have the pumpkin in the front offset to the driverside but a few have them offset on the passenger side... any advantages to going one side or the other? should i just do it offset to the drivers side so it looks like 90% of the jeeps i looked at?... looks like i get a lil better clearance for the drive shaft when its on the passenger side but im pretty sure i can make it work out on either side

comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

TJ Steve 06-19-2012 03:27 AM

I've got Wraith axles for my build, and they are going on the passenger side like this real one. Better clearance for the servo arm and linkage "thumbsup"
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...sGrillShot.jpg

BigSki 06-19-2012 02:59 PM

On the MB Military, CJ2a and early CJ3a, they had a Dana 41 rear axle that was offset to the passenger side.

brandonwalsh420 06-20-2012 01:55 AM

i saw a few pics of some dana 60s front mounted on jeeps with the offset to the passenger side... im shooting for a comp style look... sounds like i should go with it on the passenger side so the steering setup will be easier to figure out... and since some of the jeeps had offset rears on the back, my rear axle wouldnt look outta place

BigSki 06-20-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 (Post 3786285)
t... and since some of the jeeps had offset rears on the back, my rear axle wouldnt look outta place

That's exactly why I narrowed some Wraith axles for my blue Jeep, the offset pumpkin looks 'correct' for a CJ3A.

brandonwalsh420 08-10-2012 12:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
been too long since i posted an update... things have been slow but ill let the pics do the talkin :mrgreen:

brandonwalsh420 08-10-2012 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
working on the skid plate... looking for input on the design.
should i angle the front and rear bends more?
should i do a similar bend on the sides of it?

how much triangulation should i go for on the 4 link mounts? (mount them close towards the center or outward more towards the frame... performance advantage either way?)