Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Which gi joe Jeep do I want/need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Which gi joe Jeep do I want/need?

After looking at these lovely 1/6 scale Jeeps I want to start piecing one together. It seems there are several version s of this Jeep. Is there one type I should be looking for? Or even avoid? Vintage vs newer 2000+ models?

Are they all more or less the same body with different features? Thanks in advance!
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which gi joe Jeep do I want/need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
After looking at these lovely 1/6 scale Jeeps I want to start piecing one together. It seems there are several version s of this Jeep. Is there one type I should be looking for? Or even avoid? Vintage vs newer 2000+ models?

Are they all more or less the same body with different features? Thanks in advance!
Vintage stuff you want to avoid. They have no detail to speak of and the collector value will usually make them expensive. I've seen crappy looking 50's toy Jeeps sell for over $300. Stick to modern era offerings for the G.I. Joe Jeeps.

2002 Hasbro's are pretty common on Ebay, you can pick them up for between $50 and $100 generally (That's what mine is, Ebay score missing shovel, axe, and whatever weapon it had on the pedestal, otherwise in like new condition for $65 shipped) Or Zoso, Bigski, young version, brokennib all have nice builds either in progress or finished, they are the same 2002 toy body/chassis. The chassis that comes with the this body can be judiciously hacked of all useless items and reinforced with 1/4" aluminum stock, which you can then drill/tap and bolt links and other things to securely. They work great and look the part pretty decently.

There are a couple different versions available. "Dirty" or "clean" U.S. Army Jeeps (if complete will have a windshield and either a .30 cal Browning or a 106mm recoiless rifle on a pedestal in back) or British SAS desert model (if complete will have 6 jerrycans but no windshield)

brandonwalsh420 is working up a Dragon Model Kit right now (Green Dragon) the Dragon kit will run you at the least $100 (probably a little more) but the level of detail you can attain with this kit makes it worth it if you want to go that route. Bear in mind that the Dragon tub is a little wider than a Hasbro tub when thinking about axles.

Axles are a whole 'nother subject entirely for these Jeeps. We'll get into that when you're ready...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote