Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another IFS Raptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another IFS Raptor

Now that it's mostly roughed out, started working on finishing and painting some of the parts. Finishing up the chassis TVP's...Shame you'll never see them under the body.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Shame you'll never see them under the body.

That's ok, they lost a bit of weight and that always helps.

Lookin' good...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Sick build. Good job and keep it up. Have you seen this on YouTube. I'm thinkin of doing something like it http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRm_OvIOg6A

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
colebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

(3 months later)

Got the chassis and assorted parts trimmed up and painted finally (metallic black just for something different) - didn't spend a ton of time with the files on this getting the cuts perfect, but it's all straight and square - good enough! Started reassembly. Doesn't look much different, but spent a ton of time shimming, spacing, tweaking, etc, - all the fun stuff that comes with mixing and matching parts and getting everything working smooth since most of it was just mocked up before.

Overall chassis progress:

Rear...specs:
Axial 14/36 HD gearset, stock WK axles
RC4WD straight axle adapters
Converted to 4 link ilo 3 link
El-cheapo shocks that actually feel butter smooth...and more importantly were the perfect length
Wraith swaybar set...the swaybar is sheathed in brass tubing that runs though the chassis, lubed and sealed. No play, and nice and smooth.
Stripped and polished off all the ano everywhere that wasn't blue.

Front..specs:
Axial HD gears to match the rear
Redcat steering converted over to bearings (that I'm pretty sure will be the first part to fail) modified shock tower for camber links and gearbox housing
Modified Tamiya Wild Dagger arms to get the right width for the body
Duratrax Maximum C's and spindles
Mystery parts box dogbones.

Almost done, just needs an upper plate to tie the steering posts to the gear housing - the stock Redcat piece worked fine with the built in camber of the stock chassis, but here it's all flat so I need to fab a slightly longer one. Thought I was done cutting metal - missed that apparently.

Took forever to get it all sorted out with no bump-steer or weird camber angles, but now it's got good travel and geometry overall. Now that it's sorted out, just need to go back and sleeve the links for strength. Once I cut and paint the steering brace, I can bolt it on.

I found an odd issue with the tranny - in first gear, it only spins so far and locks solid - must have missing something when I assembled it and it's catching somewhere. Darn good thing I caught it now, would have grenaded immediately if I ran it that way!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

that sir is one hell of a truck!

Last edited by arcanecrawler89; 12-07-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: auto correction sux
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Thanks bud, getting there slowly.

So, got the front buttoned up. Using the existing plate as a template, I cut a slightly longer one and hollowed it out so I could access the set-screw for the shaft. Did a quickie job on it, but since it's buried in the chassis, no one will notice but me.

Front pretty much bolted up. Shocks are an ancient set of PL shocks I stole off my .15 Tmaxx. Super stiff, not sure if they are going to work. Have to wait till i get some weight on them and see where they are at. (would work great on my 1/6 Dodge though)

View from the top! Looks oddly bent in the pic for some reason, but it's as straight as a carbon arrow. Couple more specs:
All RR steel gears in the Axial tranny
Modified Axial dig (no axle lock) - just 2 and 4WD
Front shaft is a bunch of Wraith Shafts JB welded together. Rear has some JB weld in the extension, and the female part that is exposed is reinforced internally with an aluminum tube and some more JB weld. Have no idea if they are going to hold up, but they are pretty darn solid.

Finally, since it's now standing on its own, figured I'd bolt the wheels on and see what it looks like. Ride height is more or less where it'll sit when done. Me likey!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

so what's going to power this beast?
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Wow awesome job ride height and axle width look damn perfect.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Nice work, wish I had the time DVD skills to build a whole truck out of scratch

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

DVD skills?

Got the tranny and steering servo mounted up.

Though the design is similar to my Dodge build, this one has a much lower COG..motor is about as low as I could get it, and mounted further back in the chassis. Since the Raptor will be geared for higher speeds, should help a ton.

Dodge chassis:

Raptor chassis:

Radio and battery tray. Needs a ton of work yet. Going to trim it up, paint to match and need to mount a servo on the bottom somewhere for the dig
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #31

that is looking really sweet. love the raptor shell, infact love the whole build.
darkangelv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Nice build, I really like the stance. Those are just 2.2 wheels right? That would have been pretty sweet to be able to lock the fronts and actually do a burnout hahaha. The wk axles is the same width as an axial one Im assuming? Hopefully you get some video soon
dealwithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

This looks like its going to be a fun rig.
meinthe73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Progress....is good!

The test run..number 1. Note the lack of a servo for the dig, sorta popped itself off. Exactly why you test run.

Tweak time. "Dig" servo...fabbed a new bracket to hang off the radio tray, the one mounted to the chassis didn't work out.

3 speed shift servo...tried a linear servo here, but didn't have the torque to ram it into low gear. Came up with a better set-up.

Body mounted...standard clips in back, and velcro in front. Experimenting with wheels and tires here. Think a more rounded profile looks better than the square Flat Irons. Not sure yet...been trying out a few options. Started pulling parts off for bodywork too.

Sitting a little lower than I thought, WB needs a tuck in the back.

Finishing up the electronics next, then body work
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Looks great OS.

I like the pro lines if they were more round as you mentioned. Have you ever tried shaving a set to make the edges round ?
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Looks like this will be fun to drive

I just missed that body the other day on Ebay. Had it saved and forgot all about it. It went for cheap too...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post
Looks great OS.

I like the pro lines if they were more round as you mentioned. Have you ever tried shaving a set to make the edges round ?
Thanks guys.

I finally got the wheels sorted out. The front track is 15mm wider than the rear - about as close as I could get them. I liked how the revolvers looked on there, so boiled off the Moabs and trimmed the rims a bit to get close. Cut off the inner bead on the front to clear the knuckle and both the inner and outer bead on the rear. Didn't like the "deep dish" look out back, and it's better with the outer bead removed. Plus the narrow rim gives the tire a better profile imo. Should be laying some black paint on them this weekend.

Changed around the front suspension as well and finally calling it good. Shocks and springs feel great, just might need some thicker oil. Feels a bit springy...we'll see how it handles.

Scaler, I may sand down the tires a bit to remove that square edge, not sure yet. Think it would look great, but it's a messy, time consuming job. I chuck the wheels in my drill and park myself over at the belt sander. Piles of black rubber ensues. May just deal with it.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-22-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Looking great! Whats the WB? I looked over the thread but couldnt see it anywhere, unless I missed it.
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Thank you sir. If you look very closely at the above picture, you'll see the truck is sitting on a standard inch square grid. All your questions shall be answered.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

17" it is! Cheers
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Another IFS Raptor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS Chimera help DKSnipes General Scale Talk 17 03-27-2013 01:38 PM
Which IFS? demonoid369 General Crawlers 32 08-21-2011 05:25 AM
1:1 Ifs tomh1426@yahoo.com Chit Chat 25 09-27-2005 11:34 PM
It can be done with ifs. WHITE-TRASH Traxxas Crawlers 5 10-26-2004 07:59 AM