Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SS Silverado Mall Crawl.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Cool SS Silverado "The Big Stick".

EDIT:
I am adding this section for people who read and want to know what I used.
Body: Jesse James SS Silverado
Frame: Custom flat cut vertical side by side aluminum.
Trans: Tamiya 3 speed.
R Axle: Hpi Wheelie king 13/38 R/P
IFS: Hpi MT2
Shocks: Front Axial long travel, Rear Axial SCX10 dual rates
Servo: Tra2075 waterproof (Both)
Wheels. RPM (I think)
Tires: Proline Moab
ESC: Traxxas VXL3500 Waterproof
RX/TX: S3000 2.4, DX3-R Pro
And loads of misc stuff. I am pretty sure there is a part from nearly ever major RC brand out there on this rig.

So... I have pneumonia. I have not had this since kindergarten so I am slightly annoyed. I am also not able to do much. So I thought I would start a quick beater build. This I plan to have done in under 1 week. Nothing fancy. Just a fun trail truck/mall crawler.

First I'll start off by saying.... Look what UPS and FedEx brought me last week!!!!

Fun stuff eh? How much do you want to see that SSR lifted and 4x4?

But here is what I am going to be working on. Thanks to Eric over on scale 4x4 I have a pickup body that is just perfect for this off road beater. The SS Silverado. Here is a photo of how I got the frame and some bits along with the SS body.

Some more body shots

How about those scissor doors? Pretty awesome eh? Well.. No I hate them they most likely will go.

So first thing first, How to mount the lower links. In a effort to keep this as simple as I can I just took a spare AX10 frame and cut the bits I needed off. I know this is not ideal but like I said, Quick, Simple beater. I will say after I have this all built I do plan to trace my frame with the mounts and cut a new one with everything integrated. Also in this photo is the suspension mounted. I know the front is not as scale as it could be, But I chose performance over looks on this one. The rear is your standard 4 link affair.

That coke bottle filled with you see there is about 80% of the weight of the body, battery, motor, electronics and trim weight. that was mostly to see how the shocks would hold up to the weight. I put 3 lipos on with this and the suspension sits perfectly. Camera never saved photo.

This is all for now I got this done last night. And After some sleep I plan on getting more stuff done.

Last edited by J'aimesetrainer; 11-15-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding tech info. Change title.
J'aimesetrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SS Silverado Mall Crawl.

nice i seen alot of people start there project with this body but never finshed. i only seen 1 complete and it was nickrummys here's the link hope it helps you to finsh.1/6th Chevy Monster Truck
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
nice i seen alot of people start there project with this body but never finshed. i only seen 1 complete and it was nickrummys here's the link hope it helps you to finsh.1/6th Chevy Monster Truck

I had seen this. I loved it. But Monster trucks never did it for me. This project WILL be finished lol I promise! So you can say you have seen 2 completed. lol.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

OK so I took a nap and then was up most of the night again... So I decided some more work should be done. Figuring where I wanted the body to be placed was next as that would determine pretty much all of my next moves. With this I also now know that the scissor door are gone. I can't fit the interior with out massively butchering it and making it look horrid. So I will glue them up later. I still have to figure out how I am going to mount it. I am thinking strap iron. I have loads of it and it has worked in the past.

Normally I am not a fan of the tires sticking out of the fenders on any vehicle. In PA its illegal so I am not used to seeing it. And its always looked sort of cheap when ever I did. But I sorta like this. So I will stick with it.

Getting the gear box sorted and placed. And then make the drive shafts. Here is a photo of the original mounting spot. As you can see the lower end of the output case sits very low. To low in fact.

So to correct this, I drilled froward and up.

I had already made the shafts by this point. I grinned slots for the epoxy to sit in, in the metal shaft so that it would bond better with the plastic shaft. I do plan on cross-drilling and gluing two set pins in so there is no way for it to slip.

I found this integy cross brace. I am pretty sure it was from a Savage. But it let me get the brace pretty low and still have room for the drive-shaft under full squat. Not real sure if I need this. It all depends on how much passive 4-wheel steer I have.

Next to sort out is servo mounting. I know where the steering servo will live but I am not so sure on the shift servo.

Not a whole lot done. I will try and do better tonight. I am hungry and I am pretty sure there is bacon in the fridge so......
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

Good Sunday all. Hope you slept as well as I did. A record 15 hours of sleep for me... Not sure how that happened but I woke up at 7am feeling a damn sight better then I have been. So on to the show. Here is what I got done this morning.

Starting with the servos. Steering and shift servos are never fun to mount on a custom job. You never get it right the first time. Some how I did. I am pleased with this.

Not in the photos was the speed control. Its mounted temporarily but will have a home mounted high up in the body along with the RX
And as a result I was able to take it for a spin. The rolling frame that is. This was a quick drive as the front diff is no good and clicks and makes crunch crunch noises. All in all it seem capable enough.

Well the scissor doors are gone. YAY!!! They were pretty stupid. After that body mounting was in order. Not hard just ended up using strap iron.

I also wanted to add a spare tire. I have two options to go with, A cut tire that tucks far up in to the frame or a normal one that looks better. I have not yet decided. Pros and cons on both.

After that it was just time to work on the bed and make it lay flat so that I could use it for stuff. Also getting the space where I was going to have the battery go. I decided I was going to mount the ESC plug in to the body to make it easier. I just have to make a extension wire and all will be good.

If you look closely you can see to buttons off to the left. Since I know I am going to be adding LED's, trailer lights and a roof bar I knew switches would be needed. So in the battery bay they went.

To keep lids closed I went with magnets. And when I know I am going to really get in the mess. I have hooks so I can use a rubber band to keep the bed cover closed.

Well that is it for today folks. Time to start a Weeds marathon with the wife. We will see what I can do tomorrow. .
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

Talking Re: SS Silverado Mall Crawl.

PAINT TIME!!! OK so its 67.3 degrees out side in the mountains of PA. This is rare this time of year. Not to mention perfect humidity. So I got some paint done. I am happy about this.

First let me start by saying the Red paint is just rattle can krylon. A. With me paying for a wifes college tuition, I have very little to spend on RC stuff. This whole build cost me well.... 80 bucks. (70 of that was for shipping) And a scx10 that belonged to my wife. So 20 bucks on some shiny hobby paint just was not in the cards. So please be kind in your comments. The black paint is just spray on bed liner. Its tough and gives it the look I wanted.

Also this is far from done. I rushed some stuff this morning and did not photo stuff so that I could paint. While the truck does work well enough for the photos, I still have miles to go in reliability. It broke down 3 times in 40 minutes. Then I lost rear drive shaft so it was FWD. As a FWD it was well... Useless. But I did not have to carry it back home so I call that a successful first time out.

Here are some photos!

Again, Long from done. Now time to start on some detail work.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #7

What is that ifs set up from??
552jrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 552jrider View Post
What is that ifs set up from??

HPI MT2. It will work with Axial axles, Wheelie kings. And a lot of RC4wd stuff, Any 13/38 gear ratio axle is compatible.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #9

Firstly I renamed this "The Big Stick". This this is stupid long and pretty awesome. I served on the USS Theodore Roosevelt so I thought its nick name was fitting. I got a tiny bit of detail work done including some VA plates with the Navy official seal and the call numbers of CVN-71. I know its a bit silly but I am happy with it.
Yesterday was just to sunny to work on the rig I needed to spend time playing with it.. Here are some shots. Fall is the worst season to take scale photos. They are always ruined by one little leaf that you overlooked.

And here is some poorly shot videos. It was cold, I was cold. I was not equipped with the proper amount of hands to RC and shoot film.

Mike Johnson - YouTube

That link just takes you to my channel. Its since I can't embed videos to the forum I figured it was easier just to let you pick the videos you want to see.

Oh and I finally got my LED's I ordered a friggin month ago. Down side they are diffused. But they do give a nicer look. I will use mega bright ones for fog lights when I do that in the future. I will get working on those very soon. I have many days of freezing my rear off at Hersheypark Christmas Candylane. I will be cold and unhappy. But after that I will get back to more rc fun.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Nice. Big ifs trucks are pretty cool.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If I was you and that SSR is fully functional and you have the remote. I'd post it on eBay, they usually go for $350-550. Hard to find
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
If I was you and that SSR is fully functional and you have the remote. I'd post it on eBay, they usually go for $350-550. Hard to find
Tell me about it, I looked for 10 years for one after my ex wife bought me one at sams club for Christmas. It broke (As they all did, The motor was to small got hot and melted the plastic housing. it was able to move around to much and no longer made contact with the gears.) I then kept it on a shelf since it looked cool. then it just got lost in a move or town away who knows. I got very lucky on this one. its practically mint (Some faded come and a scuff on the front) and I only paid $71.00 off of e-bay. This one is going to be like the Avalanche I am working on. Its going to get tons of time to be made to look perfect.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Another nice IFS build. Y'all are making me want to try one.

Paint the chassis, make up some wheelwells, and score some new wheel/tires that are a little more scale and you'll really have a winner with this one...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Another nice IFS build. Y'all are making me want to try one.

Paint the chassis, make up some wheelwells, and score some new wheel/tires that are a little more scale and you'll really have a winner with this one...
You know its kind of funny... In the 1:1 off road world all we ever want to do is get rid of the the IFS. In the RC world, Its like the holy grail of scale. lol. I like the IFS.. Its fun not to mention it just looks so darn cool.

I have been debating on a body tray and wheel wells. Only problem is this thing weighs in at 10.64lbs with the battery. The body is so heavy. And I still have not added the lights and controller and power supply. As for the frame It is going to even be heavier when I re-make it since I am adding 2 cross braces and a rear member to support a trailer hitch. And HEY!!! I like my wheels and tires :p lol. But like posted above, I have to work with what I can make due to a lack of funding. Also these tires are pretty awesome performers. So there is that.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #15

Hello, I've been following your threads.
Simple but effective
Also that auto 4wd of your previous build, the GMC Yukon, sounds very interesting. It would be nice if you could demonstrate its effectiveness in a video

Will you also put the auto 4wd on this one?

PS: Get well .
GreeceRC is offline   Reply With Quote

SS Silverado Mall Crawl. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Day at the mall with the mall crawler JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 20 05-25-2009 02:52 AM
colmbia mall crawl MR. MAX Maryland 5 01-16-2009 03:11 PM
Oakview Mall...shop while you crawl froboy Nebraska 3 10-14-2008 10:28 AM
Western PA mall crawl pics crawler_king Pennsylvania 3 03-24-2008 05:59 PM