Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Real Steel 1/6th F250 Project working class reborn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Real Steel 1/6th F250 Project working class reborn

Looking great! Think it'll be a little lighter than 25/30lbs, as your wheels/tyres are quite light. I have a similar build going and it's using heavy alloy 40 series wheels and the same body (diff colour). The wheels are like 3lbs each when mounted lol

What lipo's are you going to use? I'm going to be using 2 separate 2 cells together and I think it came out at about 24lbs with everything piled on the scale.

Looking forward to seeing it done
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Looking very nice, those twins in the engine bay really look killer. Those tires and wheels look really sweet too, the rims look like about a 16-17" scale rim size, and the tires look to tuck perfectly like a real super duty with 35" meats. I am seriously going to start looking for one of these shells/rc's. What was the name/make of the starting truck? Thanks and keep up the good work ;)
dealwithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon170 View Post
Looking great! Think it'll be a little lighter than 25/30lbs, as your wheels/tyres are quite light. I have a similar build going and it's using heavy alloy 40 series wheels and the same body (diff colour). The wheels are like 3lbs each when mounted lol

What lipo's are you going to use? I'm going to be using 2 separate 2 cells together and I think it came out at about 24lbs with everything piled on the scale.

Looking forward to seeing it done
these wheels are just temporary until VP gets more than one set of the KMC respun twotones back in stock..there crazy expensive but i feel this rig deserves them. along with the wraith disc brake kit

as it sits right now without the batteries my crappy bathroom scale sais a little over 21 lbs.

And I have a pair of turnigy 4s 5000mah's I planed on mounting in the back to level the weight out, the majority of the weight is in the front with those twin pullers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealwithit View Post
Looking very nice, those twins in the engine bay really look killer. Those tires and wheels look really sweet too, the rims look like about a 16-17" scale rim size, and the tires look to tuck perfectly like a real super duty with 35" meats. I am seriously going to start looking for one of these shells/rc's. What was the name/make of the starting truck? Thanks and keep up the good work ;)
thanks that why I didnt want to go to the 40 series wheels then you loose the scale.

the body is made by fast lane rc and from my research they made several different models each one kick a$$...but there nearly imposible to find and even harder to find in good shape, I lucked out when my brother dug this one out of his garage still in the box and said work your magic..lol

I've tried finding another just to have as a back up but not having any luck

Last edited by Diesel-tech; 01-05-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Played around with it a bit today.

modded the rear axle u-bolt plates and flipped the u-bolts. one they looked way too big to be scale seeing as the plate was three times the size of the leaf spring and two i've lifted many trucks and I dont ever remember a ford with the u-bolts facing up..thats a chevy thing.

Also got the rear shocks mocked up. I wanted to mount them behind the axle but that would interfear with the future battery location and it would have involved some goofy extra mounts on the back of the axle. I already planned on using a VP factory link mounts for a ladder bar mount so they also double as a shock mount.

the shocks are rc4wd 100mm dualsprings as far as an actual shock absorber they are deffinatly not but they look killer and also help support the ass end of this pig...it desperatly needed it.

other than that started planning some wiring options and electronics mounting locations..

all for now back to the sunday beer.

Last edited by Diesel-tech; 01-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Nice work man, keep it up
dealwithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Really nice work on this truck! I love all the engineering you're doing. I'd love to see bigger tires, but understand about not cutting the body. If it were me, I'd go a little larger and cut the body just a little, either take an 1/8th off the whole wheel arch, or try to scale the amount of suspension travel. If it were a 1:1, you'd only have so much travel. In the scale world we look at flex shots like they're normal. From what you posted, your flex is well within reason. On a real truck that is stock, you're only going to see a little flex, so great job there. If you decide on bigger tires, keep that in mind, it will only help. Subscribed to see where this goes.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Really nice work on this truck! I love all the engineering you're doing. I'd love to see bigger tires, but understand about not cutting the body. If it were me, I'd go a little larger and cut the body just a little, either take an 1/8th off the whole wheel arch, or try to scale the amount of suspension travel. If it were a 1:1, you'd only have so much travel. In the scale world we look at flex shots like they're normal. From what you posted, your flex is well within reason. On a real truck that is stock, you're only going to see a little flex, so great job there. If you decide on bigger tires, keep that in mind, it will only help. Subscribed to see where this goes.

I'm really starting to see the need for bigger tires but I'm holding out on buying bigger tires one because I love the MTZ'S I run them on my 1:1 I'm on my second set there awesome tires. and two I'm waiting for my wheels to come back in stock and then I plan on modding them to accept air. Given the size and weight of this pig I think it needs it and I think it will help alot with steering plus airing up the tires will deffinately make them expand.

In the end I'm going for something like this..

Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome so far, I have the same body and plan on copying a few ideas of yours. I will use jugg2 axles though with the 4:1 reduction gears installed in them
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Looks awesome so far, I have the same body and plan on copying a few ideas of yours. I will use jugg2 axles though with the 4:1 reduction gears installed in them
I thought about those axles, also thought about the rc channel wide axle set for the tamiya highlift series but they both have the centered pumkins...I saw the wraith axles and couldnt get over how much they resembled a set of Dana 70's

If you happen to have a spare body like this or ever come accross another one LET ME KNOW... lol I'm not even finished with this one and want to start another

two is always better than one
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
Thats why I have three of these bodies under my bed, planning ahead

RC bodies, not human
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon170 View Post
Thats why I have three of these bodies under my bed, planning ahead

RC bodies, not human
It's still a crime!! your hoarding!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
I thought about those axles, also thought about the rc channel wide axle set for the tamiya highlift series but they both have the centered pumkins...I saw the wraith axles and couldnt get over how much they resembled a set of Dana 70's

If you happen to have a spare body like this or ever come accross another one LET ME KNOW... lol I'm not even finished with this one and want to start another

Yeah once you get rid of the "ricer" stuff it looks awesome, sorry mo more of this body, but have a few more other bodies of this dimension. H2, Cherokee, f150, f250, CXT, Avalanche, c300, unimog, etc........
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Right now I'm working on a Ranger truggy, then finish the F250. H2 and Cherokee after that
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Woah. 2 pullers... lots o' torque!
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck! Your U bolts are upside down though.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

The axles look perfect on there.
meinthe73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Got to dink around with it a little bit today been crazy busy paraticly living in my work truck all week.

Finished my custom selectable transfer case. with a little engineering and re-engineering

this is a combination of parts from a couple different RC4WD R2 transmissions. I used the center case and gears from a R2 1:1 ratio and the disconect section from an R2 disco trans. With a Robinson Racing 28t 48 pitch 5mm pinion gear to complete the series. also used the lower brass bearing cups from the disco donor trans. The process wasnt very dificult as long a you follow the golden rule ..measure twice cut once I only had to make about 3 sets of plates to finaly get the gear mesh perfect

Now that its all put together i could have just bought a disco trans replacement gearset and a 1:1 trans but didnt know what all I was going to use at the time better to have the parts in front of you than looking at a picture wondering

I re-engineered both outside covers to accept a through shaft instead of a motor and to also accept the disconect section.

Now that it's all assembled and working properly I can tear it back down and paint, then waterproof and seal off the case.

I havn't made up my mind on weather to use a heavy weight oil pooled in the lower section of the case maybe some lucas 75w140 or just thread in a grease zirk. I'm leaning towards a self lubricating gears might be quieter and more efficient.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Also got the t-case mounted in the frame now back to the drawing board for driveshafts as it will all probably have to be custom.

Had to notch out a section of the frame didnt want to but it was necesary to get the driveshaft angles right. if theres one thing I cant stand it's d-shafts off center.

All for now got some more research to do on parts.

Does anyone know if somebody makes a driveshaft coupler/ reducer?

I heed a reducer from 6mm shaft on the E-maxx trans to the 5mm for everything else. I like the revo shafts but there a bit wobbley on the 5mm shafts.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

That's a sweet t case you've come up with. For the drivelines it'd be easy to swap ends for 5mm or 6mm as needed. If you want to go that route I'm sure I have a 6mm yoke for mips that will hook right up to axial type mip shafts.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
That's a sweet t case you've come up with. For the drivelines it'd be easy to swap ends for 5mm or 6mm as needed. If you want to go that route I'm sure I have a 6mm yoke for mips that will hook right up to axial type mip shafts.

Nice, only problem is getting them long enough. I need two shafts in roughly the 7-9" mark

The revo shafts have the right size for the scale of the rig but I just cant have the sloppy connections

Real Steel 1/6th F250 Project working class reborn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now Nova's Ark 1.9 Scale Rigs 96 08-14-2019 01:05 PM
Project "working class superduty" true scale Diesel-tech 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-21-2011 09:36 PM
reborn tlt project tltcrawlerxtrem Tamiya TLT Crawlers 20 02-17-2007 01:52 PM
New 1/6th Nylint Not Working mulchman General Crawlers 2 04-11-2006 08:07 PM