Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Thinking about buying the new Losi DBXL 1/5th scale.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thinking about buying the new Losi DBXL 1/5th scale.

So over the weekend I was looking in my rc magazine and saw a badass rig from Losi that i would love to have. I went to LargeScaleRC.com and they have them with selectable engines. Im thinking about getting the 30.5cc 8.2 H.P. Full Mod TR/OBR 4 bolt Long Rod Reed case Engine with a Bartolone Racing Losi Desert Buggy XL Tuned pipe. I think this will be insane power, with a tuned pipe I should get about 10 HP or even more. Yeah I know the 23cc engine is stock but I heard with a 23cc engine for the truck is very weak, so thats why. Im new to 1/5th scale, my largest rc is a brushless e-revo, but Im not new to rc of course. Ive been doing my "homework" on this truck and Im aware of breaking in the engine, mix proper 2-stroke oil with 91+ octane (by the way what 2-stroke oil should I use? It should be a 25:1 mixture) and how much it will cost. So what will you suggest to me to do before I get the DBXL? or what should I prepare for in maintenance wise? Besides putting a high-flow air filter on this the maintenance is easy, spark plug, fuel filter, etc. Thank you, -axial 4x4 crawler
*Edit*- Sorry this is in the crawler section for large scale RC.

Last edited by axial 4x4 crawler; 02-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Thinking about buying the new Losi DBXL 1/5th scale.

Thought about getting one myself but I have heard that it is of lesser quality than the 5ive T. Have heard that it is a rebadged himoto. Now the losi 5ive mini ralley,that's cool,remote start with a fuel injected engine,that's nice. It's twice the price of the buggy but its twice the car. I have some experience in gas, I run large scale gas boats. Either way I have learned to stay away from gas cars because they can be real money pits. Good luck and have fun let us know how it turns out.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I dont own one, however I have been to 5th scale races and have seen all linds of 5th scales, first hand. The DBXL is smaller than the Losi 5i've or the HPI's. It's tough, lasted over 45 min. Of racing. One the best oils is Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil. It can hold its own against other 5th scales. The Bartalone pipe really adds some pop to the car. A guy there was using a 30.5cc I believe? Engine. That thing ripped in the straightaways.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDER PRO View Post
Thought about getting one myself but I have heard that it is of lesser quality than the 5ive T. Have heard that it is a rebadged himoto. Now the losi 5ive mini ralley,that's cool,remote start with a fuel injected engine,that's nice. It's twice the price of the buggy but its twice the car. I have some experience in gas, I run large scale gas boats. Either way I have learned to stay away from gas cars because they can be real money pits. Good luck and have fun let us know how it turns out.
Thank you for the input, Honestly the 5ive mini ralley is to expensive, and the 5ive T is nice but then again its still more money. There is always the HPI 2wd buggy that I can look at also, and HPI also has there version of the 5ive T but I have tons of time to decide, either way its going to be a lot of money and Im an experienced car mechanic so maintence is no problem. Actually for me working on a gas powered engine is easier than electric, but thats just me. - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 02-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
I dont own one, however I have been to 5th scale races and have seen all linds of 5th scales, first hand. The DBXL is smaller than the Losi 5i've or the HPI's. It's tough, lasted over 45 min. Of racing. One the best oils is Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil. It can hold its own against other 5th scales. The Bartalone pipe really adds some pop to the car. A guy there was using a 30.5cc I believe? Engine. That thing ripped in the straightaways.

-Corrupt
Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. Even though the DBXL is a bit smaller than the Losi 5ive-T or the HPI buggy it just looks like its built like a tank. Over all I love the design of the truck, its not the typical style as the HPI or the older Losi models (I wasn't criticizing here.lol) but the truck should be a bat out of hell with a full modded OBR 30.5cc and a bartalone pipe. The oil you suggested sounds good, Ill look into that. What Im trying to say is that the DBXL vs. the HPI buggy, first the losi is 4wd (obviously) and I will be able to afford a large engine if I get the DBXL, so all in all the DBXL is better in my opinion. And I rather stay away from the clones of this truck like Roven, King Motors (or whatever the name is, sorry I cant remember) then the redcat, those trucks are built cheap and won't last long as far as I heard there carbs. suck and they break down all the time. Thanks again, - axial 4x4 crawler.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Here's a quick update, I found out that I DO NOT have the money for this truck and I can't afford to get into another money pit. So what I'm going to do is take the money and get into 2wd or 4wd 1/8 buggy offroad racing. I'm already in to 1/10 short course racing with a fresh ready to race and fully modded traxxas slash 4x4 low center of gravity with a lot of upgrades (pm me if you want to know more). And for those that think the slash can't race, well your wrong the slash with proper upgrades is just as good as a team associated sc10!!!Then I can get into the other buggy racing. Sorry guys this thread was ended fast but when I can afford a 1/5 I won't hesitate to buy it. I didn't mean to mention 1/10 scale stuff in the large rc section, I just wanted to update you guys. - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 02-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That's good, The DBXL looks awful. If you watch running videos it looks slow and nose dives off every jump.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
That's good, The DBXL looks awful. If you watch running videos it looks slow and nose dives off every jump.
Yes your right about that. If I had the money though I would get the Hpi 5sc or the losi 5ive but like I said Im saving my money and maybe Ill be able to afford one in several months.lol. But Im already into 1/10 short course racing if I haven't mentioned and I need the money for that. - axial 4x4 crawler

Thinking about buying the new Losi DBXL 1/5th scale. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about buying mustangboy_347 Tools, and Procedures 0 11-15-2012 12:38 PM
THinking of buying MdgtRac Venom Creeper 4 11-08-2010 08:13 PM
Thinking about buying one muddin2deep Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 05-18-2009 10:57 AM
Thinking of buying one.... pmikeyg Tamiya CR-01 16 12-20-2008 05:29 PM
thinking about buying one romulus22 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 11-24-2007 12:01 AM