Notices

Thread: 1/6 TJ -jeeper03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1/6 TJ -jeeper03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper03 View Post
I'm trying to use up some of the space between the engine and radiator, what do you guys think about this air filter?
Beautiful.
dadrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

I don't use these super scale details myself, but these are salesworthy. I would buy them.
papasnachez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys! I started a new job this week so hopefully I get to an update this weekend.

working on inner fenders, attaching the grill, and a front bumper
jeeper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

worked on the inner fenders today

radiator is mounted, and removable!

reusing the stock front bumper to hold the grill in place, also looks like my 1:1 bumper with the ends cut down.

IT'S GETTING CLOSE!!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #45
I joined the Band!

sweet build. I did a build much like this one your doing. I have this same motor laying around somewhere. I should change the chevy motor out to the dodge motor.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

twisted, what chevy motor do you have? if its a LS series motor ill trade you! I really need a LSx to match my 1:1
Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

been working a little here and there on this thing. here is my progress for the night:

Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

got the body work to a point that I was happy with it, and sprayed it.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #49

I have been following this build from the start as it is one of the very few builds involving a Jeep TJ 1:6 scale body that look scale (I have been over almost all large scale builds of this forum as well as other forums and have found only 5 or so worthy 1:6 TJ builds), congradulations!

I was wondering what paint brands you were using, as well as what procedure you following for painting (i.e. sanding, primer, ...)
Also, I would like to know what thickness styrene sheet and cement you are using and how you cut and form the styrene.

Sorry for the plethora of questions, it is that I find your work serious and exemplary, unlike the petty builds of many of us on various forums, so would like to learn from YOU especially how things are to be done correctly.
GreeceRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Thank you GreeceRC, I am glad that my build is inspiring! I still find myself learning new things all the time and still have a long ways to get to some of the great builders on here! As far as my procedures go, I'm pretty basic.

Paints: I use Dupli-color perfect match car paint. (I had it already to color match the side armor on my 1:1 jeep) I do use a couple coats of both primer and paint. For a primer, I'm currently using Rust-oleum ultra cover primer.

Before the primer goes on I use a body filler on any rough area (such as the tube fenders and hood on this build) and then sand it with sand paper ranging from 120 grit to 2000 grit. I use Bondo brand stage 3 which is their glazing and spot putty so I don't have to mess with adding hardeners to anything.

Most of the styrene that I use is from Evergreen Scale Models, and ive bought most of the sizes available and just use what ever seems to work for the part. So like the radiator was built out of .060x.250" rectangle strips and for the center I used N scale 1:200 corrugated siding from Plastruct. Inner fenders were formed out of .030" thick styrene sheets. The tube fenders are made using 5/32" styrene tubing. as for bending all the styrene I use a lighter to heat it slightly and it bends pretty easily then.

To cut all this stuff I usually turn to my dremel with a cut off wheel. It usually leaves a mess to clean up later but its the best cutting tool I have. also for the thin styrene I will use a razor blade or pair of scissors.

My current cement is BSI-120 which is actually used for tires, but I have found it to set quickly and hold great with styrene. Bob Smith Industries INSTA-FLEX+ Clear Rubber Toughened CA (1oz) [BSI120] | Glue, Oil & Cleaners - A Main Hobbies

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away! And thanks again for the kind words on the build!
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #51
I joined the Band!

Looking Good!
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote