Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 Jurassic Park Jeep Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Default 1/6 Jurassic Park Jeep Build

Hey guys,

Newbie here. I am big into 1/6 figure collecting and I am in the process of making a 1/6 Alan Grant from JP. I really wanted him to have an accessory and I couldn't think of anything better than the Grey/Red Jeep from the movie. Once I googled for 1/6 Jeeps and got past all the old Military ones, I saw some awesome Jeep Wranglers just like the ones in the movie which led me to this awesome site.

So...being brand new to RC cars, this build is going to be a learning experience. I do want it to be functional for video and photo shoots but it will need to sit like it does in the movie and not lifted for rock crawling.

Here is the Jeep I plan on making:

I will be updating this thread with WIP pics. I am super excited to get this started.

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

-What tires should I get to be exactly like the ones in the movie? They need to be in scale. I mostly mean the 5 spoke rims.

-Since most trucks are lifted for rock crawling, do they make a lower chassis or will I have to customize one?

-Will I become addicted after making this one? lol

Thanks guys.

- J

Last edited by iMan; 07-17-2013 at 03:52 AM.
iMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #2

Default Re: 1/6 Jurassic Park Jeep Build

Finally got a 1:6 Jeep Wrangler coming. What wheel size should I use to match the shots above? Is there also a place that sell rims for the tires or will I have to custom make those?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Location Japan, you should be able to find something over there to work for the wheels.

-What tires should I get to be exactly like the ones in the movie? I would look into RC4WD.com. RPPHobby.com (I know there are other sites out there, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet to remember)
-Since most trucks are lifted for rock crawling, do they make a lower chassis or will I have to customize one? I would search in large scale rigs for other jeep builds. Endless info on jeep builds
-Will I become addicted after making this one? lol YES.....YOU WILL BE HOOKED.

Info on the jeep body?

Your name iMan reminds me of IP MAN movie
JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandG View Post
Location Japan, you should be able to find something over there to work for the wheels.

-What tires should I get to be exactly like the ones in the movie? I would look into RC4WD.com. RPPHobby.com (I know there are other sites out there, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet to remember)
-Since most trucks are lifted for rock crawling, do they make a lower chassis or will I have to customize one? I would search in large scale rigs for other jeep builds. Endless info on jeep builds
-Will I become addicted after making this one? lol YES.....YOU WILL BE HOOKED.

Info on the jeep body?

Your name iMan reminds me of IP MAN movie
Yup. Stationed in Japan but my hometown is Orlando. Small world. Don't know where to look. Don't see too many hobby shops around.

Link to the Jeep I am getting. Had to get it from the supplier in China. rc toys 1:6 RC scale model cross--coumtry jeep--HUMVEE Seller, Supplier, Exporter, Manufacturer, Factory

iMan because I love everything Apple related.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

First off thank you for your service to our country and secondly this will be a fun build, my son was just asking if we could do something like it since we watched jurassic park recently.

LOL! Love how its a JEEP and the description says "HUMVEE for USA Army."
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
First off thank you for your service to our country and secondly this will be a fun build, my son was just asking if we could do something like it since we watched jurassic park recently.

LOL! Love how its a JEEP and the description says "HUMVEE for USA Army."
No problem.

I know. Their use of the English language is funny. Same with the Japanese.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I would start by building the chassis from scratch, you can do anything form cutting it out of plate to bending some square tube and splitting it. I see no reason why you can't get the stance as close to stock as possible. What axels are you looking at? Axial Wraith Axles come to mind as the most cost effective with the best after market. To get the right proportion for a 15 inch wheel on a 1/6 you will probably have to go with 2.2 wheels ( 2.2 Wheels ), stock looking tires in the 2.2 ( 2.2 Tires ) range might be hard to find though. It seemed to me like there was a company making stock Jeep style rims, but I want to say they went no bigger than 1.9.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Yeah not to many 'stock' looking wheels in 2.2 (13.2" scale) and 1.9 (11.4" scale), you'd need a 2.5" wheel to scale out to 15". I tried to find a 5" tire for my willy's build but I think I'm going to stick with the new 1.9 TSL XL's because they measure out to a 4.75" (28.5") which is pretty stock, at least for the Willys. There are a few rc4wd tires that are like 5.1" but not sure they are all that great in the performance category but look really scale. =)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

wheels: RC4WD Single Jeep JK Stock Scale 1.9 Internal Beadlock Wheel (1)

Thoughts?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMan View Post
Yup. Stationed in Japan but my hometown is Orlando. Small world. Don't know where to look. Don't see too many hobby shops around.
Wow, small world. RC champ. Hobby Shop Joy
Model Shop Techno
Super RC
enRoute
FUTABA SANGYO (Akihabara area)
Tel: 03-3255-9984
ラジコン | ラジコン専門店 フタバ産業オンラインショップ |
just a few

Link to the Jeep I am getting. Had to get it from the supplier in China. rc toys 1:6 RC scale model cross--coumtry jeep--HUMVEE Seller, Supplier, Exporter, Manufacturer, Factory
Nice find.

iMan because I love everything Apple related.
Jump ship now.....Goggle welcomes you.....The end is near for Apple
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah those are the stock looking ones. only concern is they scale out to 11.4" in real life lol. But they look great. Heres a pic of my Willy's with a 1.9 and the new tsls.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Wow. Those are perfect. The stock rims on the JP Jeep are 15''. Will these be to scale? I am not good at the conversion.

Sucks they are out of stock. I will contact them to see when they expect to get more.

EDIT* Nvm. I see the posts above say that the wheels should be 2.5 and the tires as well. So these would be a little small huh? That blows...

Last edited by iMan; 07-18-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #13

http://store.rc4wd.com/Jeep-JK-Stock...heel_p_69.html

There is a YouTube video at the bottom of the page, the wheels looks really good on that Rubicon. Is it 1/6th or 1/10th? Being a newbie, I can't tell but with the figures inside, I would assume 1/6th.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #14

Also, what do you guys think of this CB radio antenna?

Reign RC scale CB Antenna!

THe JP Jeep has one so I do need it but it doesn't say what scale it is for. Do you guys think this will work or do you know of any 1/6 scale CB antennas?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

hey iMan

before I start this should make it easy for ya. just multiply or divide by 6

for example I'm using HPI shocks that are 6.5" long eye to eye times 6 equals 39"

my tires are Pro Line Moab XL's 7"tall= 42"
3.8 wheel =22.8"
wheelbase of..21"= 126"
track.........18"= 108"

you get the idea...

alot of guys use Axial parts to make up what they need. Check out some of the other jeeps in this section to get ideas

as for using 2.2" tires the od of 5" = 30" and thats about perfecr but 2.2x6 is only 13.2"...... not very scale imo

I havent looked into it but possibly Jato size rims that are 2.8" and that would = 16.8" would look much better, again just my 2 cents
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

The wheels might have to be one of a kind or 2.2 steelies the styrene inserts.

Gadge: good info
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
hey iMan

before I start this should make it easy for ya. just multiply or divide by 6

for example I'm using HPI shocks that are 6.5" long eye to eye times 6 equals 39"

my tires are Pro Line Moab XL's 7"tall= 42"
3.8 wheel =22.8"
wheelbase of..21"= 126"
track.........18"= 108"

you get the idea...

alot of guys use Axial parts to make up what they need. Check out some of the other jeeps in this section to get ideas

as for using 2.2" tires the od of 5" = 30" and thats about perfecr but 2.2x6 is only 13.2"...... not very scale imo

I havent looked into it but possibly Jato size rims that are 2.8" and that would = 16.8" would look much better, again just my 2 cents
Thanks for the info. I actually looked up all the specs and sizes for a 92 Wrangler then used a converter online to make it 1/6 so I have all the measurements.

1:1 tire is 205/75/15

I need:
Rim: 2.5in
Width of Tire: 1.345in
Top of Rim to Top of Tire:1in
Total Height of Tire with Rim inside: 4.5in

Finding the parts to match on the other hand is going to be a chore.

Quote:
The wheels might have to be one of a kind or 2.2 steelies the styrene inserts.

Gadge: good info
I have already looking into getting them custom made. That is most likely the route I will need to take.

I am going to buy this tire:
Z08 1 6 Vehicle Accessories Jeep Tyre Used | eBay

I want to see if it will look good under the Jeep. Since it comes off a 1/6 Military Jeep, getting more won't be an issue and all I would need to do is make a custom wheel to fit it.

The tire size and wheel size look to be accurate as seen in other pics with this tire under the Military Jeep. They look as close to stock as I think I am going to get. I will add the "Goodrich" logos myself.

Last edited by iMan; 07-18-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My 2.2 TSLs scaled out to be 32" tall, you should be able to find a less aggressive 2.2 tire. If you look at my build you can see how they look under the body with wraith axles.
jeeper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

iMan Oki is very limited for quality stuff to make a chassis, or anything else for that mater. You may find some styrene at the gundam shop out gate 2. If you do a little bit of searching you can find quite a few places that will ship to your APO. I had a losi 5T, shipped to my APO. It is a 50lb beast of a box that arrived. Take your time and search the web and you will find everything you need. As far as the rim being perfectly scale I ran into a similar problem and I am just going to go with a 2.2 it looks alright. There are a few other RC shops on island but it is mostly Tamiya products. If you have any other questions or want to know where they are just ask, I will do my best to explain where they are located.
OllllO Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper03 View Post
My 2.2 TSLs scaled out to be 32" tall, you should be able to find a less aggressive 2.2 tire. If you look at my build you can see how they look under the body with wraith axles.
Very nice. I need the tires to be as close to 27.1in scaled out so I will keep looking around but I really do think the Military Jeep tires I linked above will do the job just fine.

1/6 Jurassic Park Jeep Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes ML " Jurassic Park " proudDocker 1.9 Scale Rigs 74 05-26-2015 08:14 AM
jurassic jeep yj karth'ac 1.9 Scale Rigs 41 02-20-2011 08:38 PM
Jurassic Park Jeep Wranger HB on X Trail stutheitguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 10-26-2010 08:16 PM
Jurassic Park YJ mr.allthat 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-15-2010 03:06 PM
Jurassic Park Wrangler Project stutheitguy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 03-16-2009 04:16 AM