Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Need some advice on running gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need some advice on running gear

Hi.

Got myself a 1/6 F-350 body and want to do a simple build with a diy chassis and donor crawler.

Ideally I'd like to buy a ridgecrest for the trans, axles, esc and bits. I know I'll need to sort out longer shafts but I'm concerned if the transmission will be strong enough for the weight of the body and not strip the gears.

I don't want to get in to transfer boxes n' stuff, just want to run 2 shafts to the axles with the trans centrally mounted unless there's another simple way of doing it.

Any advice would be really appreciated before I buy the wrong stuff.

Thanks, Neil.
Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Need some advice on running gear

I don't know how much it will help you but I have an scx10 trans in my 1/8 avalanche with wraIth axles.i believe the wraith/ridgecrest and scx10 all run a similar internaly built transmission.you can beef them up with Robinson racing gears and an aluminum housing from a couple different companies.
newbiecrawler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hey thanks for the reply dude. The hardened gears seem the way to go or may be a summit trans? Anyway, I'll do a build thread with many dumb questions.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well I've only had 1 good reply so I've gone ahead and bought a new ridgecrest for the parts. Don't know if that was the right decision or not but I'd like to know if it's essential to use a transfer case, or mount the tranny close to the front axle and extend the rear driveshaft all the way to the back?

Some advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Neil.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

If you keep it light you should be fine. I only run Mad Force stuff, but I like to over build my projects. Keep it under 3s lipo the more juice the more likely you will break things. Check out Super Shafty for transmission upgrades.
vwmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Putting a t-case only enhances your options, I believe.

Doing so will keep your drive shaft lengths shorter and lessen the risk of twisting one...been there and got that shirt...
dadrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Well I've only had 1 good reply so I've gone ahead and bought a new ridgecrest for the parts. Don't know if that was the right decision
1. You made absolutely the best choice

Quote:
I'd like to know if it's essential to use a transfer case, or mount the tranny close to the front axle and extend the rear driveshaft all the way to the back?
2. If you like to keep things simple, you DON'T need a transfer case.

Quote:
just want to run 2 shafts to the axles with the trans centrally mounted unless there's another simple way of doing it.
That's exactly what you want: you want the transmission to be in the center, as during acceleration the rear driveshaft gets the most strain but during braking it is the front driveshafts that gets it.

Gearing: You will need to get a higher turn motor (55T?) and run lower gearing. If you want my opinion, leave that for the end.

Driveshafts: You can make longer driveshafts using Traxxas driveshafts. If you don't know how, simply ask and I will tell you (I cannot at the moment).

Proof for my statements:
At OneSixthScaleRC, we are almost finished developing a 1:6 very scale chassis using the same parts you are using, all plastic stock (only modified driveshafts) and we have done testing on a 6.5kg 1/6 Jeep with 15cm (5.9inch) tires and we have yet to break something. The secret is to accelerate and brake slowly.
OneSixthScaleRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #8

Oh and by the way we are making a 1:6 very scale looking chassis that will be available to the public in a couple of weeks.
That would save you the trouble of designing one from the ground up, this chassis is a product of about 2 years of designing and testing.

Last edited by OneSixthScaleRC; 03-19-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
Doing so will keep your drive shaft lengths shorter and lessen the risk of twisting one...been there and got that shirt...
Sorry, I disagree Sir: Transfercase or transmission, if it is in the middle, it does not make a difference to driveshaft length.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Brilliant, thank you for the support. I'll definitely be annoying you about the traxxas driveshafts. Build starting soon.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

I will say it in a very concise way to show how easy it is:
shafts maxx: TRA4927X 5mm yoke + drill 5mm center hole + TRA4951X shaft

The only difficult part is drilling the 5mm hole, because you will need to position the yoke straight and exactly centered with the drill bit to make a nice straight hole, or else your driveshaft will vibrate and cause bearing and gear failures.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So I'll need 2 pairs of TRA4927X for the trans and axles, and 2 pairs of TRA4951X linked together to get the extended lengths?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #13

Exactly. Although if your budget can afford it, buy 3 pairs and have 1 pair for spare. In my whole life, I have never broken a gear, whether spur gear, transmission gear or differential gear, nor have I broken any shaft, nor any drivetrain part apart from 2 driveshafts. Even in 1:1 cars, from my limited knowledge, the driveshaft is the first drivetrain part to give.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I think you could use wraith axles since they have the width you need. Or you could use TXT axles they would fit well too.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I think you could use wraith axles since they have the width you need. Or you could use TXT axles they would fit well too.
Thanks...

Unless I'm mistaken the ridgecrest axles are the same as the wraith. Their width is perfect when I checked them against the body I'm using.....
Old 03-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

in my 1/8 avalanche build i'm running the scx10 transmission as a transfer case for 2 and 4 wheel drive that's mounted in the center of the chassis. with a summit trans as my high and low and the motor mounted to it.I'm running wb8 axial driveshafts because they have steel ends and are very simple to extend and custom fit.plus they already have the right size ends on them for my axles and trans.i got some allthread rod at the local building supply to fit inside them so they wont crush in under torque.and it keeps everything straight and locked together.just options for you to think of.
newbiecrawler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeley View Post
Thanks...

Unless I'm mistaken the ridgecrest axles are the same as the wraith. Their width is perfect when I checked them against the body I'm using.....
Yes: wraith axles=ridgecast axles
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Rather than opening a new thread, this one is perfect for my Question, i hope Neeley doesnt mind me borrowing it for a moment.

ive had a very similar build swinging for quite a while and i want to finish it up and have it running. except the difference is, i want to use nitro power.

will the Axial gears hold up to nitro power? its on the clutch so its not like i can just switch on the power. and i also plan on running a summit 2speed trans so i can have a semi crawl speed as well as a faster speed for open spaces.

its gonna be a scaler more than a basher so will i need to run 1/8 running gear or will the axial stuff be ok if im gentle?

edit:0.21 size engine
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
Rather than opening a new thread, this one is perfect for my Question, i hope Neeley doesnt mind me borrowing it for a moment.

ive had a very similar build swinging for quite a while and i want to finish it up and have it running. except the difference is, i want to use nitro power.

will the Axial gears hold up to nitro power? its on the clutch so its not like i can just switch on the power. and i also plan on running a summit 2speed trans so i can have a semi crawl speed as well as a faster speed for open spaces.

its gonna be a scaler more than a basher so will i need to run 1/8 running gear or will the axial stuff be ok if im gentle?

edit:0.21 size engine
Hi, if when you say "Axial gears" you are referring to the differentials, yes they will hold fine. And even if the stock ones, which are made of aluminum and not steel, do not hold, Axial offers decently priced upgrade gears (Axial Racing - Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - 38T/13T).

Since you will be using a nitro engine, maybe you can use the revo transmission as a transmission in the front, which has both 2 speed as well as forward and reverse (if you use the summit transmission you will not be able to reverse!), and then use the summit transmission in the center as a transfer case. If the body you will use does not have an interior, then you can directly use the revo transmission in the center.

I would like to give you more information but I do not quite understand what you are referring to when you say "will i need to run 1/8 running gear or will the axial stuff be ok if im gentle?"
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSixthScaleRC View Post
Hi, if when you say "Axial gears" you are referring to the differentials, yes they will hold fine. And even if the stock ones, which are made of aluminum and not steel, do not hold, Axial offers decently priced upgrade gears (Axial Racing - Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - 38T/13T).

Since you will be using a nitro engine, maybe you can use the revo transmission as a transmission in the front, which has both 2 speed as well as forward and reverse (if you use the summit transmission you will not be able to reverse!), and then use the summit transmission in the center as a transfer case. If the body you will use does not have an interior, then you can directly use the revo transmission in the center.

I would like to give you more information but I do not quite understand what you are referring to when you say "will i need to run 1/8 running gear or will the axial stuff be ok if im gentle?"
thanks for the reply, i must have missed the notification...

truck is 1/6 F350 as well, full steel chassis, roll cage, proper scale chassis, when i said to use the 1/8 running gear, thats coz im sacrificing my 1/8 buggy for the engine/output drive/brakes. its more for the scale factor than outright crawlability or speed

i have a HPI IFS put together, and also a spare axial axle that both run the same diff gears. i was just worried about the power chewing out the ring n pinion. but youre saying they should hold up ok? the rear axle is already HD under drive, so perhaps i should get the same underdrive gear for the front end as well as it will help with improving torque anyway..

thoughts?
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some advice on running gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running batteries in parallel - need advice BubbaEinstein Electronics 4 05-15-2012 05:49 PM
Noob needs advice running TP Servo with 9.6V Cells? scorpiuon1 Electronics 8 06-13-2007 04:31 PM
Need advice on running a Winch,steering,and a 2 speed on a Tq3 Gula Electronics 1 10-03-2006 11:34 AM