Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: bigger than 2.2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bigger than 2.2

Could you take a pic of the 2 different wheels side by side?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post

Since the large scale segment of off-road RC is such a tiny market, I wouldn't expect any manufacturers to be making wheels/tires for us.
I've always wanted to make larger wheels. I really like the 1:6 scale trucks because of the details that aren't possible with the smaller rigs.

I may have to think about this some more. What size? 2.5? 2.8?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I've always wanted to make larger wheels. I really like the 1:6 scale trucks because of the details that aren't possible with the smaller rigs.

I may have to think about this some more. What size? 2.5? 2.8?
2.5 scales out to a 15" wheel, I'm not just so sure that the 0.2" difference would even be visible to the eye.( compared to the 2.2) That's why I asked to see a 2.2 next to a 2.8 with the same tire, just to judge how much of a visible impact it has.

I have a 1/6th scale 'Command' car that I'd love to convert to RC, the biggest issue would be tires and wheels.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #24
RCC Addict

i was actually hoping for a 2.5 rim. but could not find any at all. they do 2.4 once upon a time apparently, but also couldnt find anything that was still available.

heres the side by side shot BigSki requested.

klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #25
RCC Addict

im still waiting on the valves to arrive before i stretch any more onto the 2.8s i feel the tires are very thin, very soft, and very sticky. if i pump them up im nervous that such a heavy truck will put a lot of strain on the carcass of the tire and ill be risking punctures.

im researching the idea of a PVC inner tube type setup but built to the right size so it puts just a little bit of stretch on the tire, but creates a higher pressure inside than just the rubber could handle on its own.

ill keep this thread updated as i learn things.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #26
No idea what I'm doing

The 2.8 looks a bit big to me, but I don't like big wheels in real life either. The 2.2 looks a bit lost with all that sidewall...maybe 2.5 is the happy middle ground.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

On a heavy truck, I think the 2.8s are going to give a better bite due to the smaller sidewall. They won't fold so much. I also think the 2.8 wheel looks so much better. I find this thread interesting because I once wanted to run air in my 40 series rok loks. After tuning the foams I decided it wasn't necessary. I pickup a considerable amount of cactus and while I think the tire would be up to task with an inner lining of heavy tape, It would limit the flex of the tire.

I don't mess with 2.2 stuff, but I think you are def risking a puncture with such thin tires.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

There's a bigger visual impact than I thought. I'm on the fence about it being too big, I think it's the width of the 2.8 wheel that I don't care for. I'd be curious to do a quick design in 2.5 and print one off to see what it looks like.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #30
RCC Addict

i think 2.5 is where its gonna be a happy medium. just dont know where im gonna get some. i think id even be happy with a non beadlock if the right design came along.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

This is a wheel that I've designed in 2.2, I'm going to stretch the diameter a bit to 2.5 and print one off, just to see how it looks visually. If it looks decent, then it would be an effort to find a shop to make a very small batch that could be affordable.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #32
RCC Addict

only downside to a larger rim than a standard size is the lack of beadlock rings to suit off the shelf.

id be looking for something with a bit of dish/concave spoke if i was to go with a custom rim tho, i put up a request in Duuuuudes thread but he cant do bigger than 2.2 yet, nor non-beadlock rims.

i do feel that the 2.8 is slightly too large. im still torn which way to go.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #33
RCC Addict

got my one way valves today. so i had a play tonight with just one rim/tire as not to stretch out more than one.

thinking im gonna just run the 2.2 rims and keep the 2.8s for another day. altho i like the bigger tire, its still too soft. very stretchy which is good, but not for tubeless setup like this.

its a shame coz i swapped some prized wheel/tires and a few other things to get these rims and then to not use them. feel like i wasted the effort...

what do you guys think?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #34
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
only downside to a larger rim than a standard size is the lack of beadlock rings to suit off the shelf.
Any machine shop that can make the wheels, can make the beadlock rings as well.

What width? I like a 1.25" wide 2.2's for scale wheels. Not sure how the width would relate to the larger 2.5" size though.

I have material here on hand. I'm going to try and machine one off to see what it looks like since I'm curious too.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #35
RCC Addict

i did some measuring last night, it scales out to 1/7 so the 2.2 rim is actually 15inch. not far off the mark.

the 2.8 scales out to 19inch tho, not exactly rock crawling size rims. 2.5 makes for 17inch which is same as stock on this truck 1:1.

im probably just going to run it with the 2.2 for now and if something new comes along i may purchase, but at this point im not about to go ordering custom wheels.

yet.

gonna sort out the driveline. i just wanna drive it. lol
Old 07-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #36
I joined the Band!

These rims are for the HPI Baja and are as big as you will find! I take a special body to fit such a large wheel!
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #37
I joined the Band!

Quote:
got my one way valves today. so i had a play tonight with just one rim/tire as not to stretch out more than one.

thinking im gonna just run the 2.2 rims and keep the 2.8s for another day. altho i like the bigger tire, its still too soft. very stretchy which is good, but not for tubeless setup like this.

its a shame coz i swapped some prized wheel/tires and a few other things to get these rims and then to not use them. feel like i wasted the effort...

what do you guys think?
I like the size your using. I think they are to big as it is. I run 2.2s on my Gladiator that I'm working on now, and there great. I my try the 2.2 Pit Bulls II as they are a little bigger than the 2.2 Rock Locs I have now.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #38
I joined the Band!

Last edited by twissted; 07-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 AM   #39

Quote:

what do you guys think?

The tires look better with air, it's a shame they are too weak. The inner tube should solve the issue, if only there were of such size. My suggestion would be to use the 2.2 tires with air (once you find inner tubes), even though they look a trifle too small compared to the huge 2.2 Baja Claw Radials.

When I find time, I will research 2.2 inner tubes, because the problem with my 1/6 jeep is that I have to be careful where I drive it so as not to puncture the soft tires. On the other hand, experience has shown that the tires look weaker that they really are. For example, I have run the inflated tires on metal shavings and a chestnut forest with decaying chestnut carcases, but have not punctured them yet.

Concerning the 2.8 wheels, in my opinion, 2.8 is too big and generally the 2.8 wheels are too wide, because the target audience is for monster trucks. For this reason I agree with you that there is a need of a new crawler standard wheel size, between the 2.2 and 3.8, but closer towards 2.2. But if you look at it from an engineering point of view, 2.5 is simply too close to 2.2, only 13% bigger, so no hope for 2.5 becoming a new standard size, maybe 2.6 is better because it is 18% bigger.

Anyways, could you please post a link to the valves you are using, as well as any other interesting links you have found during your research?
OneSixthScaleRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 AM   #40
RCC Addict

between 1.9 and 2.2 there isnt much difference, and nor is there between 1.55 and 1.9. theres room for 2.5 inch rims for sure !!

the valves are just one way check valves Mini HOT Sell 3 Pairs SET NON Return Plastic Tank Aquarium AIR Pump Check Valves | eBay

bigger than 2.2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 or bigger? fstrnu Tamiya Clod Buster 7 12-28-2009 09:27 AM
bigger motors themichavo Duratrax Cliff Climber 17 09-30-2009 01:56 PM
need to go bigger ax-10 victor Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 02-07-2009 12:59 AM
Bigger Tires on WK RockRider HPI Wheely King 20 06-15-2008 06:46 AM
i want bigger tyres!!! kiwi trasher Tires and Wheels 0 09-28-2007 02:58 AM