Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 F150 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1/6 F150 build

I picked up a Nikko 1/6 scale F-150 Hardbody from a buddy. Its time to build it. It will have venom axles with the alloy diff cases and remote locking diffs as well. It will be open for normal stuff and I can lock them up like an ARB on a real vehicle. These will be at both ends. It will have a Solar D772 servo converted to winch on the front, working lights, 4ws, and be able to run 2wd and 4wd with a VP dig unit and the trans turned around backwards. The tires will be a set of TTC Baja Claws on aluminum wheels and considering the weight of this truck it will have Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild foams in them. The truck has a full interior and it will be filled with hot babes!!!

I plan to try to document this build as best I can, the chassis is going to be 1/2" aluminum tube. The bumpers may be aluminum as well IDK yet, I may use the plastic ones. With all the features of this truck it looks like I will be using all 8 channels on the hacked GT3b radio. The electronics will be an MMP esc, D772 steering servos, and a Novak 35t brushed motor for now as this isn't going to be a bouncer, just a big trail truck.

This is my start:

It has Venom Creeper axles with the alloy diff cases. I will be keeping the selectable locker

It's going to be getting a Tamiya 3-speed trans in the engine bay and the SCX trans will act like a transfer case and give me my 2wd/4wd feature using a VP Hurst Dig unit. I had to mirror the trans so it would work

3-speed

SCX transfer case

This is what my chassis started out as

Its no where near done but I'm making progress

One thing I need is input on shocks. This is going to be one heavy beast and it will need stiff springs.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1/6 F150 build

Got the 3-speed and motor installed. Kinda tight on the motor clearance to the frame so I may have to add a few spacers for clearance. I really wanted the trans to be vertical so it would be more scale, I had to lay it over because the truck would be too high otherwise.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #3

Good start! So tough frame) here's mine Ford F-150 1:6
subscribed
Volk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default 1/6 F150 build

I'd wait on shocks still you have a final weight. On my ranger (15lbs loaded) I used hpi mt shocks and the blue HD springs up front. In the rear stock hpi savage shocks.

You could also use traxxas emaxx shocks they are cheap and associated mgt springs fit and have a good variety of spring rates available!

Last edited by Gula; 07-26-2014 at 04:02 AM. Reason: forgot some more info
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I appreciate the input on shocks. Something else I've considered is 2 sets of rustler shocks. Use 2 per wheel everywhere, I should have enough room in the front wheel well for the long shocks and then use the short ones in the rear. Idk yet I think I have a game plan of the shifter servos too. The way the 3 speed shifts it has spring pressure when in 1st or third so I gotta have a good servo on there or it will overheat. It will run in 2nd gear most of the time so there isn't any servo load.

Volk I like your truck, it looks good on the 1.9's. I already have the aluminum 2.2 wheels and will soon have a set of claws coming so mine will sit a bit higher. But also be as low as possible.

One local guy gave me an idea, get some Barbie dolls and set them in the bed and fill the bed with the clear plastic resin and make it like a pool with hot chicks in it. This may happen...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Starting the belly. Going to see if I can make a flat sheet metal belly to go into this and test fit tonight with a driveshaft. Considering the added gear reduction going into the SCX trans I should be ok with a simple stock plastic axial driveshaft here. The rear driveshaft will have to have a carrier bearing put in place and I have an idea that would use a traxxas rustler rear axle hub. We shall see. We have a G6 this weekend and I hope to have it close to roller but I don't see it happening.

I'm considering not painting the frame but rather polishing it up and clear coating it. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

sometimes I have to see my projects progress, so I stick tires on em. This is about the right ride height I'm after but it will get adjusted once I actually get shocks on it. The axle width seems to be about right too as I didn't want the tires to be sticking way out. There is a body line around all the wheel wells and I'm thinking of cutting them out to this line, its a molded in line so it won't even be noticeable for the unknowing. Plus the TTC Claws are a little bit bigger than the Swampers that are on it in the pics.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

one more pic of the belly with my temporary plastic links on it.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks good! You doing rear steer? Depending on completed weight may be a bad idea. I'd inly do rear steer on a very light rig to keep servos from burning up!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

yeah rear steer for sure. I'm not really worried about weight as the rear axle will be open most of the time and this may see light trail duty at most according to plan, plans change and If I need a stronger set of servos I'll put in a set of Savox 1230sg servos and no more problems.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I used some rustler front shocks that were on my crawler for this, I have new ones on order but for now this is how it sets. A little high in the back but I'll get all that evened out once its fully loaded. I know it can carry 2 4S batteries and a 2S back there!

If all goes well I'll have either the driveshafts or the new tires ordered today!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I like the choice of Venom axles, the track width looks good!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I appreciate it. I like the selectable locker feature and they are a mix of Gen1 and Gen 2 axles so these have the great pinion that comes with the gen1 and the better axle shafts that are gen 2.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

What a nice stance it has. chassis looks good.
JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thank you. I had to rebuild the belly, the driveline angles were too much for my liking plus I found more room under the body. This pic shows what will probably be the servo layout for the VP dig and the 3-speed. I'm going to have to get creative with the linkage but it will work. I still have 2 more servos to get in there but they are micro servos for the locking diffs so they shouldn't be much of an issue. I will probably build a battery mount into one of the sides of the chassis as there simply wont be any room anywhere else. I want to use 3S on this but I don't see fitting a big one in here but I could do 2 matching smaller 2000 mah batteries in parallel and I'm looking at the turnigy 2.2 batteries on ebay.

Sorry for the blurry pic the phone has issues focusing on so much aluminum

Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Got a set of Solar D772 servos on order, new tires and shocks should be here today!!!

Here is the chassis, I still have to add battery mounts as well as figure out exactly what 2 servos I will use to shift with and get those in there. At that point it should be drivable!

Since this truck wont be driven very hard ( I say that ) Think a cheapo futaba 3003 servo would work for the dig unit? Most of the time it will be in neutral position or locked in 4wd, no loaded disengagements or any of that.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Wow! Awesome build so far. I really like bigger than 1:8 scale stuff but its hard to visualize the size difference until i saw the frame in your hand. Wholly cow. I like that you built the frame out of aluminum. Turned out great. Nice work and hope to see a video or pictures of it in action.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Thank you and yes it's big, that tiny little transmission in there is an scx trans....I should have more pics up soon. I have all the axle lockers operational except for one lever I broke, also have the 2wd/4wd as well as the 3-speed fully operational. I should have steering servos in this week and then it's time to give it a test run. Hopefully I'll have a new lever fabbed up by then.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Damnnnnnnn.
JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I got a test run in today. Just the Chassis and with the rear locker lever broke all I had was the front. In this video it was in 1st gear and on a small 3S battey

1/6 scale f150 test run - YouTube

these are some comparison pics of it next to my 2.2 scaler Grimlock. That is an extra long wheelbase Emaxx body on Grimlock..

1/6 F150 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brian's F150 Build (Pic HEAVY) mahgninnuc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-10-2012 01:04 AM
1:8 Ford F150 xtrail (RE)build pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 23 02-25-2011 12:32 PM
F150 prerunner/chase truck build dps50 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 04-15-2010 11:32 AM
F150 Build NickRummy 1.9 Scale Rigs 50 04-16-2007 09:41 PM