Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New Project (for me)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Project (for me)

Fyi, the stock tire is 4.5" and a rc4wd baja claw is 4.75" mounted. This might be what your looking for.

Last edited by stelerzman; 06-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

I must say that your rear bumper looks "spot on", nice job.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Here's the difference between the two.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Baja Claw is going to be a tad big. My stockers are also 4.5, and if you go back to post #1 or #44, you can see that they're pretty tight inside the fenders. Whatever tires I use, they'll have to be max diameter of 4.5 on the stock rigid mount.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

I've been reviewing some of the older Willy's builds from BigSki and tklatti, and they both have pintles made from key chain clips, so with the heavy duty rear bumper it should be easy enough to weld to it.

Also found some more scale items to hang on the rollcage, fishing pole, net, and a bucket of fish. Barbie got some better clothes for off roading, as well as a partner. I picked up a couple 12" G.I. Joe's from a garage sale the other day for $6
Old 07-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I've been reviewing some of the older Willy's builds from BigSki and tklatti, and they both have pintles made from key chain clips, so with the heavy duty rear bumper it should be easy enough to weld to it.

Also found some more scale items to hang on the rollcage, fishing pole, net, and a bucket of fish. Barbie got some better clothes for off roading, as well as a partner. I picked up a couple 12" G.I. Joe's from a garage sale the other day for $6
Can you use RC4WD's pintle or not big enough? Pintle hook & lunette ring

Nice find at the Garage sale. What do they look like? Some just look totally wrong.

Better clothes for Barbie? It's summer, so Bikini time. What? Wait, that sounds weird.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Really cool build Mike! Very creative. Personally, I would have went with a dark green and a GI Joe for a driver, but hey, I'm boring that way. ;) I really appreciated how you used the stock tranny location and didn't go crazy with a transfer case and everything (not that there's anything wrong with that). That made these large scale jeep builds more attainable for those of us on a tighter budget.

Yes, I agree with cmbscx10, it may be time for Barbie to sport the bikini. I'm sure her new garage sale boyfriend would appreciate it. Ha!

Thanks again for sharing your build!
Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Can you use RC4WD's pintle or not big enough? Pintle hook & lunette ring

Nice find at the Garage sale. What do they look like? Some just look totally wrong.

Better clothes for Barbie? It's summer, so Bikini time. What? Wait, that sounds weird.
I don't know, they don't give dimensions on them, so I have to believe they are for a 1/10th rig.

Barbie was originally wearing a yellow mini skirt, as you can see in the build pics, and yes it's weird that you're concerned, but there are other's that find her attractive on other RC forums, lol, I'll get some current pics up this weekend.

Also, the wife likes the current color of the Jeep and has actually gotten interested enough in RC to want to run it on the backyard course, which is cool, but now that Joe and Barbie are both sporting camo, she thinks I should go back to a flat green to match the trailer. She even gave me a couple ideas to turn the trailer into a tent-camper.

Last edited by Mike Flea; 07-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Info on the Pintle hitch

Specifications:

• Industrial Grade Heavy Duty alloy
  • Drop forged construction
  • Custom made latch pin
  • 50lbs max vertical load
  • 50kg (110lbs) GTW
  • Powder coated black
  • Mounting plate size: 16.5mm (.64inch) x 13.9mm (.54inch)
  • Lunette ring OD: 16.5mm (.64inch)
  • Pintle hook OD: 15.5mm (.61inch)
  • Engineered by Brett in Massachusetts USA
  • Uses M2 Size Screw for Mounting
  • Manufactured by RC4WD
Look forward to the pics. Are you going to Styrene a lid for the RTT?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

I saw this pintle on another post, and I don't remember seeing the dimensions,....gotta lay off the 'shine

Basically it's 1/2" x 1/2", might work, but I think I like the key chain clip that tklatti used. Hmmm,...$24.99 vs $1.50....decisions, decisions

Last edited by Mike Flea; 07-09-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Picked up a 444oz coreless Savox today. The Hi-Tec 645mg, 133oz servo just wasn't cutting it anymore. It was fine for the Ridgecrest with the lexan body that I originally purchased it for, but the Jeep Hardbody, with scale accessories, Barbie, and a newly purchased G.I. Joe, brings the loaded weight of the Jeep to almost 14lbs.

Also, time to tear it back down for some maintenance anyways, both shocks on the right side are leaking.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Made a Jerry can today out of styrene, to hide the 9v for the taillights, turned out ok. Used a black shoelace for the tiedown. Red shoelace is the towstrap.

Also a shot of the headlights (booklights).
Awesome idea for the jerry can/ battery compartment

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
Awesome idea for the jerry can/ battery compartment

Thanks, except the jerry can mount was made out of plastic, and it got torn off the back of the body the day after the spare tire mount was torn off. The jerry can is still used to hide the battery, but now it is mounted inside the body, under the rollbar.

Took a couple up-to-date pics today, showing the fishing gear and new Joe. Joe looks scared that Barbie is driving, lol
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

That's great...nice accessories. Thanks for the update.

eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Looks fantastic Mike -- nice job! Like the scale additions and Barbie's rockin' that new hairdo with her camouflage pants.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Almost have the trailer done. Took off the stock axle and tires. Replaced with 10/24 allthread inside a 3/16 piece of brakeline, and a couple more shorter pieces for spacers between wheels and side of trailer springs. Found a couple SC tires laying around, and they fit nicely inside the fenders. I'll get some pics up soon.

Started tearing the Jeep apart, need to fix the 2 right side shocks, install the 444oz Savox servo, install a new hitch for the trailer, change the pipe front bumper, make a steel tire carrier for the rear bumper, and a new steel jerry can holder, ( the spare and jerry can just look better on the rear of the body, instead of mounted to the rollcage), and re-paint the body.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Almost have the trailer done. Took off the stock axle and tires. Replaced with 10/24 allthread inside a 3/16 piece of brakeline, and a couple more shorter pieces for spacers between wheels and side of trailer springs. Found a couple SC tires laying around, and they fit nicely inside the fenders. I'll get some pics up soon.

Started tearing the Jeep apart, need to fix the 2 right side shocks, install the 444oz Savox servo, install a new hitch for the trailer, change the pipe front bumper, make a steel tire carrier for the rear bumper, and a new steel jerry can holder, ( the spare and jerry can just look better on the rear of the body, instead of mounted to the rollcage), and re-paint the body.
Looking forward to the trailer pics. Sounds like you are almost there.

Were the shocks leaking or spring change or ?? Your to do list and mods sound good, especially the servo. Where did you find a metal jerry can? All i have seen are plastic ones.

What color are you shooting for?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Great stuff went from start to finish.I have simaler body but mines a 2003 version with canvas top.It to will be a new project for me to some day.....
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Looking forward to the trailer pics. Sounds like you are almost there.

Were the shocks leaking or spring change or ?? Your to do list and mods sound good, especially the servo. Where did you find a metal jerry can? All i have seen are plastic ones.

What color are you shooting for?
The shocks were off an old T-Maxx that a friend gave me, and I didn't re-build them before I put them on originally, just changed to a softer spring and changed the oil. They leaked.

The jerry can is made out of styrene, (it hides the 9v for the taillights). The mount was also made out of styrene, but was getting torn up coming off rocky descents, so I'm going to use it as a template so a buddy can weld up a steel mount with 1/16" steel, and then weld it to the bumper, similar to how BigSki did on his Willy's.

Joe and Barbie were chatting up a storm the other night, and they were saying the bright colors of the Jeep made them stick out like a sore thumb, and were scaring the fish away at their favorite fishing hole. So they sent in a request for a more subdued paint job, either in OD green or camo, similar to what's on my Dodge trucks.

Last edited by Mike Flea; 08-08-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Trailer pics, still want to come up with a tent or pop-up for it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike Flea; 03-08-2016 at 07:00 PM.

New Project (for me) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire project for pede project Mdlopez1 Non Crawler RC's 2 04-21-2013 06:30 PM