Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Soy based White Lithium Grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Soy based White Lithium Grease?

So I picked up a tube of white litjium grease from Lowes, I'd been using red automotive grease but noticed it wasn't sticking to the gears well enough.
Anyway, I ran my 6x6 I just built a few times, removed the dffs to put in lockers and noticed that the grease inside the diff case was grey, here was noticeable wear on the bevel gears. Obviously the grease shows contamination more than red grease but I was surprised to see the wear? Now I was pulling over 300lbs uphill but it all got me thinking that I beter make sure I'm using the best possible grease.

Last edited by Irishchamp; 09-24-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Irishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soy based White Lithium Grease?

I use the blue marine grease, it's pretty sticky, a buddy of mine uses an industrial spray on grease, that leaves a graphite film on the gears, I guess it's just personal choice, whatever works for your usage. That industrial grease sprays on thin, but like I said, it leaves a graphite film. The marine grease, it's what I use for my swimming pool "O" rings is a bit thicker and I apply it with a brush.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the spray on stuff sounds interesting.
Any knowledge on Soy Lithium Grease? Is it doing its job for me?
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I use the blue marine grease, it's pretty sticky, a buddy of mine uses an industrial spray on grease, that leaves a graphite film on the gears, I guess it's just personal choice, whatever works for your usage. That industrial grease sprays on thin, but like I said, it leaves a graphite film. The marine grease, it's what I use for my swimming pool "O" rings is a bit thicker and I apply it with a brush.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm a water plant operator, and at work, we use a "food grade" white lithium grease on gaskets and seals for our pumps because it's considered safe, lasts a long time, and it's not petroleum base. I searched your "soy-based white lithium grease" on the net, and it says it's good for metal and safe for plastics, you should do the same, and draw your own conclusions. Looks like you already purchased it, so I'd say try it. Take your truck out and run the hell out of it for a couple hours, bring it home, open the cases up and see how it is. If it's still on the gears and not in a puddle at the bottom of the case, then you have a winner. I use the marine grease for it's water resistance and stickiness, not too thick, not too thin, and when I open up my trans case or differentials, it's still there just like it was applied.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I appreciate the info, it seems to stick to the gears really well.
thanks again,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I'm a water plant operator, and at work, we use a "food grade" white lithium grease on gaskets and seals for our pumps because it's considered safe, lasts a long time, and it's not petroleum base. I searched your "soy-based white lithium grease" on the net, and it says it's good for metal and safe for plastics, you should do the same, and draw your own conclusions. Looks like you already purchased it, so I'd say try it. Take your truck out and run the hell out of it for a couple hours, bring it home, open the cases up and see how it is. If it's still on the gears and not in a puddle at the bottom of the case, then you have a winner. I use the marine grease for it's water resistance and stickiness, not too thick, not too thin, and when I open up my trans case or differentials, it's still there just like it was applied.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I personally use a lube that was designed ( or re-packaged!) for the bicycle industry. Pedro is the brand name, it's a general purpose grease that is used for lubing the rapid fire shifters and the cables that run inside of the protective housings. Great stuff, easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Soy based White Lithium Grease? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Universal axles (Axial)... grease or no grease TacoCrawler Axial SCX-10 15 11-14-2013 12:27 PM
Axle grease, grease gun idea. arctichorse Axial SCX-10 1 11-14-2012 11:52 PM
Does hydrocarbon based grease conduct electricity? TheREDCAT Electronics 9 10-26-2011 12:37 PM