Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Gainstrup Jeep projekt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default peaker Jeep projekt

Well here i am like so many of you other guys, expecting this to be a walk in the park, and now realizing things will not just bolt up like a kit from Axial.

Adding a 19 mm widener to my SCX axels provide a nice fit in respect to the overall width of the Jeep body i have, but its allso clear to me that i will have to modify the inner wheel well to make room for the shock and still have room for the axle to move and twist.

Offcourse making such a cut to house the shock will take some room up in the bed of the Jeep, but i hope i can cover that up with some scale addons later on.

Will allso have to do the same in the front, but i hope i will still be able to cram my SCX10 gearbox in there ( i really cant afford to buy too much for this projekt )

Advise needed ATM :

Transfer case to go with my scx10 gearbox with 32 p spur and pinion and a 35 T motor, what gearing should i go for ?
( would like to have topspeed around the same as with my honcho using same hardware )

I will be running a 3 cell lipo.
My axels are fitted with HD 36:14 diffs
My Gearbox is alu housing and HD inside, gearing in use is 13 :46 /32p
Needless to say everything on the end of my axels is ALU, just about as beefed up as it can be

Offtopic.

Why dont any one make a large scale kit ? you know we would all buy one if it was just halfway decent
I want a scaler with same wheelbase as a HPI 5B/T hell i would take a scaler the size of a kids ride on toy

Last edited by Peaker; 04-14-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gainstrup Jeep projekt

Not much experience from me, but look around all the threads and you'll learn a lot. Then take what you want from them and apply what you want. Good luck and ask questions on there threads if your not sure.

I'm in the same boat.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Everyone that I've chatted with and including myself have used the T1 Disruptor T-case w/ the 2.18:1 ratio. The rest of my drivetrain is pretty much the way you describe yours. My Jerp will go about as fast as a walking pace. The Jerps that I've seen that are fast all use brushless style motors on 3S. These rigs get really heavy so you need a good bit of overall gear reduction to get them to crawl slowly. Have fun with the build!

Last edited by BigSki; 04-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Have you made any progress? I really like the looks of the body.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Made a fjew cuts yesterday, with that there should be room for suspension to work fine.
Alu need to be cut down to size, and be solid mounted as it need to have a firm hold on the suspension.
I plan to use the proline power strokes that have served me well in the honcho, at least in the back, i have yet to resolve what i can find room for in the front.

The compartment below the driver seat i plan to use for the reciver and ESC, will make it as watertight as i can.

This is how much space i will have to give up in the bed of the jeep, but i will rather do that than use 25 - 30 mm spacers instead of the 19 mm that will be a perfect fit in my eyes.

Next up is repeat same in the front ( i do hope there will still be room for steering servo and motor & gearbox under the hood )

I will try to keep this light, if it get more heavy than my TF2 i have failed my mission.

To start up with this will move along on axial plastic wheels and 1.9 TSL Bogger / super swampers 4.7" OD which i think is a good size for this body.

With the axial axels and 19 mm wideners the tire poke out of the wheelwell with 5 mm or so, which should still allow for good movement without rubbing on the body.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Just realized i made a blunder of epic proportions
But i can fix that by making new mounts for the shocks on the axle.
And to be honest while flipping things in my hands and looking at the body i think this will be better than outbording the shocks which i still had to do in spite of my cuts to the body.

Must remember : measure twice,think twice and then cut once
And "Sometimes bad things have to happen before good things can"

I will reserve my luck for the lotto draw on friday, i have my eyes on a half billion DKkr score.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Don't feel bad, we've all made mistakes in one way or another . Wait 'til ya have the DOH!! moment, sit back, take a break, slug down a brew, and try again.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote

Gainstrup Jeep projekt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Projekt Yota MT SwampDawg Large Scale Rigs 4 03-31-2015 08:40 PM
Projekt MonkeyNutz Wraith: SwampDawg 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 06-08-2013 09:42 PM
Projekt CC1-R SwampDawg 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 05-30-2013 01:43 AM
Projekt Summit retrofive Traxxas Crawlers 5 03-25-2012 02:37 PM
Projekt Viper looneybin General Crawlers 6 10-30-2006 09:13 PM