Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MadDogRC Capo Jeep CD15823

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default MadDogRC Capo Jeep CD15823

We are extremely excited to that we have been given the opportunity to build one of the insanely detailed Capo 1/8th scale Jeeps! We will be building this as a promotional vehicle with tons of MadDogRC LED lights and scale accessories as well some custom one-off parts. This rig will eventually tour the country with its' owner making appearances at R/C Crawler events and competitions!

My plan is to start with a quick unboxing and some observations and then do the build per the manual. I'll finish the build with the upgrades and detailing.

Obviously when the package arrive today I could not help but to rush it into our new workshop and get it onto the work bench.

Box art it cool and to be expected of a rig of this caliber.

Once open the highly detailed cast aluminum body panels are sitting in the top tray

The second tray houses the CNC machined bead locks, chassis, shocks, and pre-built axles.

The bottom tray is where all the hardware, components and injection molded body panels reside.

I have to say that my initial impression is that this is the most realistic RC vehicle that may have ever been produced! Just check out the details on the inside of the cast hood

The proportions of the features all seem to be well executed and the fact that almost everything on this rig functions is mind boggling

From my initial inventory and scan of the instruction manual here are some of the key features of this awesome kit, some of which are not obvious from Capo's promo pictures:

- Cast aluminum body panels
- Injection molded interior panels
- Multi-speed transmission
- 2wd/4wd transfer case
- Functioning drive shaft brake
- Selectable front and rear locking differentials
- Cable actuated steering
- Faux engine with functioning drive belt

I'll provide more detail of the parts and pieces as I build, for me this will be the build of a life-time!

Last edited by Mad4Rnr; 05-14-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: MadDogRC Capo Jeep CD15823

Looking good indeed, and seem like a pretty high benchmark for the rest to follow.
And i can only encourage axial and who ever to start making those ( preferred ) 1:5 scale rigs

BUT ! please - please make them a lot cheaper as i ride my stuff hard, and i would cry like a little girl if i was driving a rig in this price range and it took simmilar tumbles & beatings my SCX10 and TF2 have gotten.

When done please do a little video of it running too
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Awesome man cant wait to see how it holds up after the build process

Sent from the clouds
Captainkickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For the cost it should be highly detailed, I'm also interested in how it functions with all the realistic parts. I imagine with the cast aluminum body panels it would be sturdier than a sheet metal body in that it shouldn't show dents and dings. Looking forward to the build,
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

This thing looks great, you gonna paint it?
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
This thing looks great, you gonna paint it?
I wasn't planning on it but it needs it, some of the deep features on the body panels are light on color. If it does get painted it would have to be an automotive multi-stage paint job, the panels are too nice for a rattle can. Otherwise thinking maybe a wrap?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Donkey Punch Champion!

...must have. the details. I can't wait to see where this goes...
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Man I hope this thing is as good as it looks.
Maybe I'll get to see it in person!
Nice score Erik.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Alright here comes the build pictures and observations.

As I start to dive in I quickly realize that this build will be complex. The number of components and fasteners is unreal, glad to see very few plastic component. The CNC parts look of good quality, a few machine marks here and there but nothing too too bad.

The instruction manual is detailed but you have to mind the steps carefully. I had to break out my calipers becasue there are quite similar parts so taking measurements to keep them straight is mandetory.

The transmission gears are all steel and the transmission housing is cast aluminum with a gunmetal plating.

The transfer case is machined aluminum and fit * finish is is good but I ran into an issue with the OD of the front output shaft being oversized. I'll have to see what I can do to get the shift mechanism to work smoothly tomorrow.

Another observations I made tonight is that there are six servos required to run this rig. Three micro servos that are hidden inside the engine housing to shift the transmission, the transfer case and the brake. One micro servo that moves the steering wheel! And two regular sized servos that do the steering and diff lockers.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Wow! The only problem I see with this rig is I could never bring myself to use it outside.
rookie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

My problem is how many screws I would misplace lol, this is going to be awesome I was hoping to see a detailed build on one.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Definitely subscribed...
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Wow I totally understand the price tag now. That is some impressive stuff thanks for sharing with us!
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
I wasn't planning on it but it needs it, some of the deep features on the body panels are light on color. If it does get painted it would have to be an automotive multi-stage paint job, the panels are too nice for a rattle can. Otherwise thinking maybe a wrap?
I know Corey (Mr RPP) has used some automotive finishes on his rigs.... he might be the go-to guy on this one. A wrap would be a good solution.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Loving the pics so far, especially the gear train for the trans and t-case! The axles look really nice. Are going to crack them open so we can see how the locking mechanism works? ( although I'd bet that it's much like the mechanism inside of those Venom axles)
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Long day today with the family so I only had a couple hours to devote to the build. I started back in on the sticky transfer case issue and thankfully I own a 5mm straight reamer, not only was the OD of the front output shaft over-sized I also found a burr on the ID of the final transfer case gear. After reaming and polishing I was able to get the 2WD/4WD to shift like butter.

I buttoned the t-case up and also assembled the drive shaft brake mechanism. I have to say the brake is an ingeniously cost effective design. There is a slot in the lever shaft that moves a piston in the rear of the transfer case housing. I didn't take any pictures of it before I assembled it but here is the final result.

Here is a video:

I also mounted 55t motor and completed the assembly of the 3spd transmission. The pinion mesh was a bit hard to set but all in all the tranmission is a nice assembly.

It shifts pretty nice and after broken in will be pretty smooth.

Last edited by Mad4Rnr; 05-16-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

sub'd to this epic build!! I wish i could get one of these trucks but way out of my budget :(
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Coming along nicely, and I too now understand the cost. The attention to detail, and the craftsmanship to make all those parts for this kit.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Great write up so far. Sub'd
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #20
RCC Addict

FYI, this rig uses three sub-mirco (9g) servos for shifting duties. Standard micro servos are 6mm too long...

The smallest screws in this kit are the two M1.2x2 that hold the tiny motor for the drive belt system.

Functioning belt tensioner.

Servos and radio coming this week

Last edited by Mad4Rnr; 05-18-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Tags
capo, cd15823, jeep, maddogrc, mdrc

MadDogRC Capo Jeep CD15823 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capo 1582-2 Tatra 817 8x8 and Cross MC8 Man Kat 1 8x8 Prop Shaft Multi Axle Rigs 24 06-18-2021 04:31 AM
Capo R/C and some new stuff Szczerba Chit Chat 27 07-08-2015 09:16 AM
New ultimate scale rig from Capo rc scale4x4 General Scale Talk 71 02-16-2015 12:48 AM
Capo Rc making a new truck jpf General Crawlers 17 09-23-2014 12:47 PM