Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wraith vs Yeti vs Summit Trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Wraith vs Yeti vs Summit Trans

I am doing my first ever 1/6 Scale build and researching Transmissions. I was looking to use either a Wraith, Yeti w/SSD 2 speed Conv or a Summit Trans. 85% of the time it will be used for crawling so ultimate Shafty Bombproof trans i don't think will be needed.

I haven't decided on a motor yet but i will be looking for Torque due to the overall weight this thing will be. I know the Yeti and Summit can handle brushless power but a stock Wraith trans i don't think so without some serious upgrades.

So, the question is which trans would you use of the three? Is there any other things i should look at to decide?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith vs Yeti vs Summit Trans

I've used the Wraith and Summit 2spd trans. The Summit was cool to have two gears, but with the right motor, really wasn't needed. It was a bit tricky to make a mount for it and a bit heavy. I did really like it though.

A Wraith trans can handle some decent power. They're actually very inexpensive to upgrade for some real power. The Bombproof is just that. If you're not running 40 series wheels and monster batteries and heavy and etc, a stock case with reasonable upgrades will last.

In the end, its really going to come down to what motor you want to run. I jumped on the band-wagon and ran a Pro4 3100 Tekin. With the Wraith trans and metal gears, I was super happy - torque to crawl and speed when I wanted it. I ran a standard Tekin brushless with the Summit. A two speed complemented the two-pole motor very well.
Lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the reply and experiences.

I am leaning towards a ROC 412 3100kV and will be running 2.2's with TSL's or Growlers.

I am just curious if there is really a need to run a $260 SS Wraith Trans vs the $75 others. I am not competing just playing around.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My rig is running a stock plastic trans case with upgraded lower and middle gears only. The lower gear is RRP #1542, "1pc. Output shaft.
The middle gear is also RRP, PT# 1541.
If you get these and through bolt the case you'll be good. I've run this setup in a 9.5lb scaler with a MMP esc and a Tekin HD Pro4 2500kv motor for over a year with zero issues.
There will be breakage with any power upgrade, but when you dial it in, golden.

My 1/6 Willy's build is brushed, with a HH brxl esc under 3s power. Im still tinkering with gear ratio to find the sweet spot. If you choose to go brushed, then look for a ratio of 5.5 to start with. 6.0 is what I started with, only because of the limited gears on hand.

Hope some usable info here. Good luck.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
My rig is running a stock plastic trans case with upgraded lower and middle gears only. The lower gear is RRP #1542, "1pc. Output shaft.
The middle gear is also RRP, PT# 1541.
If you get these and through bolt the case you'll be good. I've run this setup in a 9.5lb scaler with a MMP esc and a Tekin HD Pro4 2500kv motor for over a year with zero issues.
There will be breakage with any power upgrade, but when you dial it in, golden.

My 1/6 Willy's build is brushed, with a HH brxl esc under 3s power. Im still tinkering with gear ratio to find the sweet spot. If you choose to go brushed, then look for a ratio of 5.5 to start with. 6.0 is what I started with, only because of the limited gears on hand.

Hope some usable info here. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Very informative.

With the gears you suggested you are running a AX10/SCX trans? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area of upgrading. I have ran HH brushed motors with stock ESC's in my Wraith and SCX. I liked the TQ and control of the brushed motor when i finally got the gearing correct but wanted to try a brushless sensored system this time around.

I'll research a little on a gear calculator to understand the 5.5 or 6.0 ratio.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The Wraith and SCX transmissions are the same, except a Wraith case can accept a dig unit. Otherwise the internals are the same. An upgrade for one will fit the other.

I used a Robinson Racing Steel 32p slipper clutch on a Supershafty shaft. Then I installed Hot Racing steel gears. Because I pieced it together, I used Fast Eddies bearings. I bought the case and some of the parts from the classified here.

That transmission held up to a Pro4 and a 3s batter with absolutely zero issues. This is a common enough recipe for building a transmission, you may be able to find a used one already built.

But the Summit is cool too. I wish that I'd have tried a Pro 4 on a summit trans. It probably would have been overkill.
Lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

Ok here is what you should look into if your build is going to be like mine.
use the summit trans with the LEM dog carrier that cost $21.00 it takes out all the slop in the tranny!
My latest builds are around 19 pounds and the tranny last with no issues!
watch 11:11 of this video it covers the build.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith vs Yeti vs Summit Trans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti trans in wraith?? mrhobby100 Axial Wraith 2 04-30-2015 11:17 PM
Summit trans in wraith scale_it Axial Wraith 8 07-31-2014 03:32 AM
summit trans in wraith for high speed bashing? lagz2point0 Axial Wraith 36 07-28-2012 11:25 PM