Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ford F350 HD All-Pro Expedition Pack Rack Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Ford F350 HD All-Pro Expedition Pack Rack Build

While waiting for my BPC Chassis to be built i decided to give brazing a go as i will need to do a rear bumper and i am sure a bunch of other things. I am still collecting materials (Safe Silv 45, MAP torch) but was able to get some 1/4 brake-line and angle iron.

I am trying to make a copy of a All-Pro Expedition Series Pack Rack https://www.allprooffroad.com/tech-i...coma-pack-rack. I say trying because this is my 1st attempt at bending brake line and brazing. I will practice brazing before final assembly. I had a hard time figuring out the bend degrees, lengths, where to start the bend etc. Basically learning as i went. So far just the hoops are bent. Following the cab lines was the hardest part. I wouldn't put it on my real truck but i am happy for my 1st attempt. I can only get better with more practice right.

I'll cut the angle iron following the contour of the bed rails so it doesn't look like just a simple piece of angle iron was used. It's RC but it has to look somewhat decent.

I have Knight Customs on Shapeways making me 1/6 scale RotoPax fuel and water cans and will look for shovels, Hi Lift etc as time goes on.

What i completed tonight:

Attached Images

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ford F350 HD All-Pro Expedition Pack Rack Build

Got my Safety Silv 45 in the mail yesterday. Here is my 1st attempt at brazing. Using some scrap the Left one is the first try and after learning a little bit the Right one is the 2nd attempt. I still need to cut my angle iron but after that i'll braze the hoops up. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Your doing a good job. Stay with it and practice. Try using a little less solder and then do a throw test. Braze up a couple pieces and throw it down on the floor to test the strength of the joint. You'll find that you can use less then you think.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. I appreciate the comments. I threw the test one like a rock on the garage floor trying to hit a snake and both held. Pretty surprising it did.

Side rails cut out and had to do a little hand fitting. As you can see in the pics i am still using a little too much solder but i am learning so i can live with it. Table set up is the key. I don't have enough magnets to hold everything square and i am so nervous to mess up i end up pushing the brake line off my mark where i want it brazed. Learned a lot tonight for sure. It is actually fun and i am happy with the results so far.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Good job on the welds Your like a natural,I also need to try to someday.I also never braze before either and have all the materials to it.I still don't feel comfortable trying it.The part i don't like is f**king up,having to start over and messing up the part being welded....
Funny thing to is my brother-in law showed me how to make a jig today to bend the rods and this pop up...
Keep up the good work...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. I appreciate the comments.

So far my biggest piss me off thing was the bending. I have never bent brake line or really anything before. I went through an entire 6ft stick of brake line before i figured it out. Once i did, all 3 hoops took like 15min.

I bought the Safety Silv 45 and flux kit and i already set my mind straight knowing i will blow through it learning how much heat, how much flux and how much solder to use. I found a open box Map-Pro Hose Torch Kit at Slime Depot for $25 so i scooped that up. Give it a whirl. If you mess up luckily the materials save the solder are fairly cheap and you will learn from your errors and be better on the next try. I am surprised how fun it is.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

For sure i need the practice.i know how to solder wires for like Li-po,Brazing shouldn't be any different right.When i do attempt to try i want to make something that i may need for my build something small like a front bumper so don't waste material
Making a cage well that will be challenging trying to get all the angles right...

Listen i was thinking of using magnets to that i had from old speakers "quote me if i'm wrong but isn't dangerious to use magnets near heat or open flames....Just thought i heard that some where or read...

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 06-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the comments.

So far my biggest piss me off thing was the bending. I have never bent brake line or really anything before. I went through an entire 6ft stick of brake line before i figured it out. Once i did, all 3 hoops took like 15min.

I bought the Safety Silv 45 and flux kit and i already set my mind straight knowing i will blow through it learning how much heat, how much flux and how much solder to use. I found a open box Map-Pro Hose Torch Kit at Slime Depot for $25 so i scooped that up. Give it a whirl. If you mess up luckily the materials save the solder are fairly cheap and you will learn from your errors and be better on the next try. I am surprised how fun it is.
Brake line is cheap, don't sweat the doing over part, your doing well for a beginner, at least you got all your bars the same. When I was doing the cage for my Jeep, it took me 4 tries to get 2 bars the same, and even then I had 1 bar that was too long on one end. Fortunately, it was a piece that was purposely cut longer as a just-in-case. The more you braze the better you'll get. Also, don't worry if one end has more melted silver on it than the other. Invest in a Dremel kit, it usually comes with various grinding wheels, you can always grind some off. When you're done with the whole assembly, you're going to want to grind all the joints smooth anyways before you paint, for a more uniform look

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
For sure i need the practice.i know how to solder wires for like Li-po,Brazing shouldn't be any different right.When i do attempt to try i want to make something that i may need for my build something small like a front bumper so don't waste material
Making a cage well that will be challenging trying to get all the angles right...

Listen i was thinking of using magnets to that i had from old speakers "quote me if i'm wrong but isn't dangerious to use magnets near heat or open flames....Just thought i heard that some where or read...
Yes it is. Keep the direct flame away from the magnets, they have a tendency to shatter. You want to use your magnets to support or hold the pieces to be brazed together, but don't put them on the joint to be brazed.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Looking good Mike, feel free to call me if you have any questions.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Looking good Mike, feel free to call me if you have any questions.
Many apologies for not calling you. My chassis is being made as the 1st one didn't turn out correctly and didn't want to bother you before i received it. I'll give you a call next week.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Not a problem, Is BPC making you the same chassis as mine? Mine is basically there 2.2 chassis but stretched. Dis you get a hold of Mark B at BPC? I think you said your wheelbase will be a little bit shorter then mine right? I basically pulled all the measurements off the Gladiator body and we went from there.
Cheers.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah BPC is making the chassis. Thanks for the info on them. From the pictures i received it was an inch shorter wheelbase then yours. I initially talked to Bruce and all was good but the chassis was cut short by a few inches. I received my bed and cab at different times and i was going off of pictures which was my bad. I then talked to Justin and he hooked me up after a 45min conversation with my cab and body in front of me taking measurements. I'm going to lay the shocks a little back so my wheel base will be 17-1/2".
Old 06-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice, Those are some good guy's over at BPC!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Brake line is cheap, don't sweat the doing over part, your doing well for a beginner, at least you got all your bars the same. When I was doing the cage for my Jeep, it took me 4 tries to get 2 bars the same, and even then I had 1 bar that was too long on one end. Fortunately, it was a piece that was purposely cut longer as a just-in-case. The more you braze the better you'll get. Also, don't worry if one end has more melted silver on it than the other. Invest in a Dremel kit, it usually comes with various grinding wheels, you can always grind some off. When you're done with the whole assembly, you're going to want to grind all the joints smooth anyways before you paint, for a more uniform look

Yes it is. Keep the direct flame away from the magnets, they have a tendency to shatter. You want to use your magnets to support or hold the pieces to be brazed together, but don't put them on the joint to be brazed.
So heat is not an issue then with the magnets,just keep it away from flames.
And i'm like you alway cut like 1mm or 2mm longer just in case..
Old 06-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It's true that magnets do not like heat. I've seen what happens when they explode. If you can learn to keep the magnets at least 5" away from the heat/ flame you will be safe. I use a variety of sizes to hold my pieces in place. The most common size for me is 2"X 1"X 3/8" I get them at Harbor Freight.

Last edited by stelerzman; 06-26-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #16
RCC Addict

So heat to.Well might have to invest in some nice miniature claps...
thanks for the heads up on the magnets...
Old 06-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Here's how I set up to braze.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

And, no matter if you're using rod or brakeline, fishmouth the ends, it gives you a sturdier joint, unless you're brazing to a flat piece like angle iron.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Good point Mike, if your not sure what "fish mouth" means, here ya go.

This is how I fish mouth, chuck up a broken rat tail file in a drill press. Clamp your work piece in a vice, line it up and get going.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

@ Mike Flea & stelerzman
Great tips guys. Will help me in the future. The fishmouth is how i did my 1st and 2nd test brazes. I read doing that on a brazing post here so it doesn't teeder todder on the joint. I was surprised how sturdy it was when i got done.

Finished the 2nd and 3rd hoops but i am pissed and not sure if i will redo it or not. The 3rd hoop was a little taller than the others so I ground down and leveled the 3rd hoop with the 1st hoop. Brazed it up and did the same leveling thing with the 2nd hoop and brazed it up. The 3rd hoop is 1/8" higher (Looks higher than that in the picture but its not) than the 1st and 2nd. From 5ft away you can barely tell. I think it over and decide if i will redo it.

Ford F350 HD All-Pro Expedition Pack Rack Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 97 Ford Expedition EBMONSTER97 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 0 11-21-2014 01:36 AM
Neeley's 1/6 Ford F350 build Neeley Large Scale Rigs 24 10-25-2014 07:30 AM
SCX10 Ford F350 Crew cab build RCBreeze 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 04-19-2012 02:30 PM
drop bed ford f350 ( first styreen build) smedo 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 01-12-2010 01:43 PM