Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another NB Raptor (V3)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Another NB Raptor (V3)

Boy, been a while for this one. This is the longest project I've never finished. 2 years ago, I decided that the IFS Build originally under this body wasn't going to work out, 2 years after starting it. ...it was ok, but the front had some serious issues and basically had be redone. I decided to cut a new chassis and go with solid axles for simplicity's sake.

Original chassis that I gave up on...Front had Redcat parts and was not going to hold up to the weight of a large scale build

2nd version chassis fresh from the saw:

Wraith trans and driveline extension sitting on a piece of delrin

3 speed reinstalled:

and got pretty far with it....

Then, set it on the shelf again...later robbed the axles and shocks....until I got another wild hair and got it down and decided to play again.

.......SO............ (2 years later)

Needed to fix some issues, so tore it down and did some trimming on the chassis. The cutouts are just to lighten it up a bit.

Reassembled with slider/boatside mounts.

Dug out enough leftover parts to piece together some AR60's (almost, ordering a few parts but got enough to stand on its own)...and slapped on some shocks

Made some front body mounts finally (after 4+ years) and it at least looks like a roller! Loving the stance with the Prolines.

Got a ways to go, maybe I'll finish it this time, maybe not, who knows! Fun to mess with in any case.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another NB Raptor (V3)

Looks like a fun truck to run around with the Dodge
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Good looking Frame..

Truck and build looks Great..
Nice work..
Zukiiholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Moving along, slowly!

Made some big boatsides....bolted a Wraith battery tray to one side, electronics will go on the other side. Large scale stuff is so much easier to work on...

Rear of the chassis needed some bracing, so picked up a blue cutting board, trimmed it up and now the chassis is super solid out back.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That chassis is a piece of art!!! Very nice work. I've got 7 ram bodies, of which 2 are going to turn into a crewcab. Thanks for giving me a visual on what a chassis should look like!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
That chassis is a piece of art!!! Very nice work. I've got 7 ram bodies, of which 2 are going to turn into a crewcab. Thanks for giving me a visual on what a chassis should look like!
I thought about that as well...that a looong truck.

My 2 door, the threads is here somewhere.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I think one of them will turn into an exo truggy. Mo was a cool build to watch. I think we're on the same build schedule!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Is that 3 speed going into a wraith transmission?
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
....Wraith trans and driveline extension sitting on a piece of delrin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
Is that 3 speed going into a wraith transmission?
Yes, yes it is.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wow, it must just really creap in 1st gear.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Don't know yet... I'll find out!

So....I want to use the three speed in a manner true to form. If I dropped in the usual big 4 pole 550 or whatever, I wouldn't need a 3 speed - it would be completely redundant. Instead, I'd like to take a motor that would otherwise struggle a bit in such a large, heavy truck and actually have to use the three speed on on the trail. If i come to a large rock or hill climb, I'd have to downshift into second or even first to be able to get up the hill in the same manner a 1:1 would. When rolling along down the trail though, 3rd gear would be fine.

So to that end, I'm not sure if i want a high torque/low RPM motor and use the trans to ger up for trail running...or vice versa....a higher RPM that I could gear down for increased torque. I have an outrunner here that's the torque end, and a 17.5 set-up that I run in my 1/10 rigs for the RPM set-up. I'm leaning towards the RPM side for now, though I might drop in the outrunner later just to see what it's like.

First time in 4+ years I'm not using a GT3B....had to break out the 5 channel Traxxas radio and blow off 3 inches of dust. 2 shift servos on this bad boy, plus telemetry if I ever want to use it.

Made a bracket for the 2/4wd shift servo.

Waiting for some parts to come in for the steering - I need to see where the steering servo will go before I mount the transmission servo. Got knuckles, C's, UD gears and beef tubes on the way as well.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The progress train keeps rolling down the tracks...

3 speed servo mounted. Not quite sure if I'm happy with it, but it'll do for now. Still have to figure out linkages for the servos yet. I'll get to it when I start wiring it up.

Axles parts finally came in. I'm on a bit of a budget, so Boom Racing will have to do. Knuckles, C's, OD gears, and SS tubes for the front axle. Goodbye to all that worn out mock up garbage.

...and all back together. picked up an STRC steering link, but I don't like the bent piece off the servo - just found a titanium turnbuckle that was the right length and used that instead.

Just UD gears and tubes for the rear.

Fine tuned all the link lengths and swapped over to some other shocks, but now it's sitting a bit high to my eyes....still needs a bit of shock work. I did find the front window finally! Missing one of the rear taillights yet though. It's here somewhere, I never throw anything away..
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Ride height looks good to me. Nice to see the upgrades and updates.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Boy, its nice to finish this thing....well, they are never really finished, but at least it's driveable.

Chassis layout. I do have a cover for the pinion, and it's still slightly off balance with the battery on one side, but it's not that bad.

Finally got the shocks worked out...sometimes you get it close right off the bench, and sometimes it takes forever. This one took forever. Integy (I think) fronts and some hybrid Exo/Wraith shocks out back. Still not 100%, but I'll sort it out more after a trail run.

Body back together, did a bit of shaving to fit some other tires. I've been swapping around quite a few just to see what I like.

And a few pics out in the sun..Was hoping to get it out this weekend, and of course we got dumped with a foot of snow. :(

Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Beautiful chassis

This looks like it's gonna be fun to drive. Digging the 3-speed setup...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I took it for a test drive just before I was sidelined, and it did great! It was a mix of snow and mud in the backyard and 2/4WD is definitely a cool option on a truck this big.

I'll get it out for an official trail run eventually, got some healing to do first.

Another NB Raptor (V3) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My New Raptor Rob L Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 03-09-2010 02:22 PM
My Raptor is done! Azcats1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 24 11-24-2008 09:16 AM
Raptor 2.2? lesannatrevor General Crawlers 2 09-07-2007 08:35 PM