Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build

Small Update having had a few hours to "Play".

Chassis plate made. I ordered longer hardware but won't be here until next week. I am not happy with the chassis cuts i made but i learned enough on what Not to do that if i had to do it again it would be different an much better. With the bottom plate and two top plates it is just as solid as if it was one piece. The pictures are misleading. It is actually square as square can be

Saw this on a 1:1 Cherokee a few years ago and decided to do my Tie and Drag link using Hex rod.

The Driveshaft pins are longer than the ID of the Axle tube so i need to shave those down a little bit. Once i get the Drive shafts in i will cut the Hex rod to length, finish that side and do the Tie Rod.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Small Update

The Driveshaft pins are shaved down, Conversion kit installed and DHawk Drive Shaft installed. I did put a HR Spool in the Diff but forgot to take pics. If the front works out i have one for the back and when i install it i will take pics.

Definitely no time during the week to continue so next weekend i will work on it and should have a roller by the end of the weekend.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

coming along nicely, Mike
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Somethings wrong with the pics Mike can't see them for some reason, which image hosting site are you using??
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
Somethings wrong with the pics Mike can't see them for some reason, which image hosting site are you using??

?? Somethings up with Photobucket because all my pics are in there. Some are showing and others not. Maybe they will show up later.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post

Space looks really tight which driveshaft extension in the front are you putting ??
Old 11-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
Space looks really tight which driveshaft extension in the front are you putting ??
No comment on the tight space.

Because I brought the back/front of the chassis so far back compared to yours there actually is no need for an extension. The HR driveshaft would have been to short so I got a DHawk which is actually 22mm longer solving my "Length" issues.

If I used the full tub length like your build I would have to extend the DS following your lead but I don't know a machinist and my build is more of a crawler than a MT. I have my Losi XXl for those duties.

I truly appreciate your input as your build helped me get over some of my hurdles.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

I see why you cut the back half longer, you wanted to include the motor mount anchor but in doing now you may have to lengthen the front hole where the front driveshaft is going in, to illustrate this do a mock up put the transmission in, connect the driveshaft in the front from the transmission to the axle and see how it hangs (pun intended ).

You can and this is just a suggestion cut the front and the back a little shorter you don't have to get a longer driveshaft.

Back

front

And it will look something like this

On the top image you can see the anchor is still there and usable, on the second image cutting the front side that short will insure no short hang (for the lack of a better phrase), but as I said this is just a suggestion, I hope I'm wrong about the short hang and that I'm just over thinking it.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Please disregard the suggestion above you may have a bigger problem if you did that, I forgot to factor in the front outdrive cup below the transmission. It is a specific size and space is really tight down there, I don't know if the Dhawk coupler will work in that since I don't have one but I do know that the HR driveshaft was a tight fit under there. That's why on the helios MT build they used a traxxas transmission.

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 11-18-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

hemistorm dual brushless Yeti XL ?

https://youtu.be/k6IQHXVfE7A
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #51

Did anything come of this build?
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I accepted a new job in October just as I was in the finishing stages and it had to take a back burner. All that is left is to lengthen the frint drive shaft and make longer Trailing Arms. Simple just time I don't have right now. It's to close from being finished that I can't not finish it but not for a few months at least.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #53

Very cool. Look forward to some updates. I just got back into RC and was always into speed/bashing. My friend let me drive his Wraith at which point I was intrigued by crawling. So I was torn between a Summit and Yeti XL. I went XL when I found a kit version on CL.

I didn't go Wraith, because I find it much more amusing seeing a larger RC rip across the lawn, yet I like the crawling/suspension ability of a Wraith....SO when I saw this thread I went OOOOO LOOK! A Big A$$ Wraith!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #54
I joined the Band!

There is a better way to build it using Kyosho Twin force Custom built axles.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
Very cool. Look forward to some updates. I just got back into RC and was always into speed/bashing. My friend let me drive his Wraith at which point I was intrigued by crawling. So I was torn between a Summit and Yeti XL. I went XL when I found a kit version on CL.

I didn't go Wraith, because I find it much more amusing seeing a larger RC rip across the lawn, yet I like the crawling/suspension ability of a Wraith....SO when I saw this thread I went OOOOO LOOK! A Big A$$ Wraith!
Thanks. Updates will come without a doubt, just a bit away time wise from those.

I hear you. Love my Go Fast and my Wraith when i had it. Missed it enough that i thought it would be cool to build something big, different and why not a Big A$$ Wraith as mentioned.

Definitely more to come
Old 03-22-2016, 06:05 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
There is a better way to build it using Kyosho Twin force Custom built axles.
I am sure there is and look forward to reading your build thread on it.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #57

Maybe you mentioned this before, but where do you plan to put the batteries?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
Maybe you mentioned this before, but where do you plan to put the batteries?
Here. COG might be a little high but i won't know until i run it. If so, i'll think of another idea for mounting them lower.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

holy crap! any progress?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #60

I wonder a out the durability of these parts being 3D printed. I run a printer at my work that uses a jetted process and unless material selection is just right, a 3D printed part won't be as strong as a 1 pc molded part.

This XL platform seems interesting. BarharborBasher doing a IFS/IRS setup and the OP here doing a solid front/rear setup.

Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build onebullet Axial AX-10 Scorpion 163 10-13-2015 01:28 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM
Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build" JAM MaxAmps.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-06-2008 10:00 PM
Axial Scorpion Lizard Tires "In Stock" and "Shipping" 6/26/07 **RCP Crawlers** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 6 06-27-2007 10:33 AM