Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build

I was not confident enough in my skills and could not get interest to build me a custom frame without having to sell my kidneys so this build 1/6 maybe 1/8 U4, KOH, Rock Buggy Crawler is on the back shelf unless i win the lottery.

I was trying to sell my Yeti XL to fund the above project but ZERO interest in that sale lead me in another direction to resurrect the above thread in a way. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Yeti XL but after building my F350 i fell for crawling again but didn't want to go back to a 2.2 rig. I am bit by the Big Scale bug and truly infected.

So, why not take my Yeti XL aka Yeti XL #1 and make it a Wraith XL with solid axles F/R. I am sure it has been done but this will be my version and i am going to make it as simple as possible without months and months of custom work that i don't have the skills to do.

Step 1
Draw it out to see if it can be done. Looks like it may be possible. (see below)

Step 2
Are there parts to make it happen?

1. Up until a month ago, No. Helio RC is now making a front end conversion kit to use the Yeti XL Solid Rear axle for steering. Thread here Yeti XL Solid Front Axle by Helios RCToughted for custom builds and i think this fits the bill.

2. I was able to acquire a super cheap Yeti XL Kit Roller aka Yeti XL #2 to use the Axle, Front Steering, Shock, tub, cage etc.

3. The stock wheels on the Yeti XL are made out of warm licorice and no way would they survive on the rocks under power. No true bead locks are available for 3.8 tires so i picked up a set of Pro-Line discontinued Weld Racing Bead locks that i will narrow to fit any 3.8/40 series wheel. They just happen to be in my favorite color. Wheels will be died Gray. Proline 40 Series MOAB Tires on Commando Weld Racing Beadlock Wheels Savage Maxx | eBay

Step 3
Once Yeti XL #2 gets here i will measure 3x and cut 3x the front off of Yeti XL #1 and Yeti XL #2. I will then take the back of Yeti XL #2 and merge it to Yeti XL #1 with a 5-6mm Aluminum plate.

2. Yeti XL #1 motor and trans placement will not be changed and the chassis merge happens 1.5" in front of the Trans. Yeti XL #2 will not have a motor or trans so that will be the area for the ESC and anything else.

3. I may need to extend the Front Drive shaft by 1" but i'll blow that bridge up once i have both chassis in hand.

This is what i envision it to look like. ** Don't laugh at my awesome MS Paint skills

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build

Looks pretty straight forward. Larger scale stuff is easier to work on. If their wasn't a front solid axle conversion in the works, I would have found a way to incorporate the stock yeti xl hubs and steering knuckles on the yeti xl axle via a custom welded upper and lower axle truss.

With that kit you can easily pull it off.
Donkey_Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Really interested to see how this build evolves. I've been dreaming of Axial putting an 1/8 scale SCX or Wraith into production.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey_Punch View Post
Looks pretty straight forward. Larger scale stuff is easier to work on. If their wasn't a front solid axle conversion in the works, I would have found a way to incorporate the stock yeti xl hubs and steering knuckles on the yeti xl axle via a custom welded upper and lower axle truss.

With that kit you can easily pull it off.
I appreciate the comments. If the Helios kit didn't exist i wouldn't even attempt it. Designing and making a lockout to accept a steering hub is way way out of my total brain cell count.

It will be a challenge and hope it will be relatively easy.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Really interested to see how this build evolves. I've been dreaming of Axial putting an 1/8 scale SCX or Wraith into production.
I appreciate the comments. As much as i like the Yeti XL i am surprised Axial did that before a 1/8 Wraith or SCX. Both are far more proven and popular than even the awesome Yeti 380. Axial doesn't seem to be making one in the near future so i will cobble something together myself. If it works great, if it doesn't, at least i tried.

Roller Chassis is coming from Canada Eh! and shows it arrives Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 10-06-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 10-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks to be a cool build, Mike, I'll be following as well, I'd like to see where it goes. What do you figure the wheelbase will be?, and will you be using the stock body/cage, or creating a new design/
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Looks to be a cool build, Mike, I'll be following as well, I'd like to see where it goes. What do you figure the wheelbase will be?, and will you be using the stock body/cage, or creating a new design/
Thanks Mike. I needed a Winter Build so i chose to do this.

If my calcs are correct the WB will be the same as the Yeti XL at 18.5". If i have to cut it a little shorter to have the Tub/trans mount centered i don't see it being and shorter than 18".

The front of the cage attached to the IFS shock tower so i'll have to come up with a tab off of the rear cage. That should be no big deal. I still want the body to pivot as stock does so i'll account for that in the mount. The only change to the cage will be those goofy dumbo ears in the green circle. Why they are there who knows. Cage integrity will not suffer and have nothing to do with tire clearance so?? Hated them from day 1 so off they go which will make the front slope down and that is more of the look i was after.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I agree with you on that!^, maybe it's supposed to be for tire clearance when bouncing over rocks. The Exo's had them too.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If I could afford an XL...
I doubt I'd have the heart to permanently cut it up/alter it.
And I'd probably roll it as was intended.
But then I don't have one, nor do I wish to pony up for one...
so maybe it's just outta my league.

I'm just here to see if you can make it crawl acceptably...
...it is after all, designed to be a "go fast chassis" not a crawler.

The chassis/suspension does not offer much regarding scale realism IMO

But I'll follow along just for the sheer entertainment of your attempt

Oh and I like those "dumbo ears"
I think they are attractive...
and make the XL body design unique when compared to others.

For a 1:1 buggy...
those "dumbo ears" could help protect the driver some
by deflecting sand, dirt, rocks or whatever the tires might kick up.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 10-08-2015 at 02:20 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
If I could afford an XL...
I doubt I'd have the heart to permanently cut it up/alter it.
And I'd probably roll it as was intended.
But then I don't have one, nor do I wish to pony up for one...
so maybe it's just outta my league.

I'm just here to see if you can make it crawl acceptably...
...it is after all, designed to be a "go fast chassis" not a crawler.

The chassis/suspension does not offer much regarding scale realism IMO

But I'll follow along just for the sheer entertainment of your attempt

Oh and I like those "dumbo ears"
I think they are attractive...
and make the XL body design unique when compared to others.

For a 1:1 buggy...
those "dumbo ears" could help protect the driver some
by deflecting sand, dirt, rocks or whatever the tires might kick up.
Like i said there was nothing wrong with my Yeti XL just wanted something different.

In theory it should be no different than a regular Wraith, just larger. The Yeti XL was built as a rock racer U4 thingwith the trans skid farther forward but if you look at the cuts on the chassis that will center trans skid making it more crawler than rock racer U4 thing. The trailing arms and links might be an issue but i can make those if need be.

My Yeti XL didn't sell and i was loosing $$ even at my askign price. Instead of letting I'll sacrifice a $30 tub on my Yeti XL. If it doesn't work i'll just get another one and put it back to stock.

The "Dumbo Ears" go for my personal taste. If the driver was worried about sand, he shouldn't be driving and he has a helmet anyhow.

F-In shipment is in Canadian customs or ?? so it will be like 2 more weeks before i see the donor chassis. Argh!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Per USPS, Roller / Doner rig will be here Thursday.

Per my order this morning, the Helio's Updated Truss and Hubs will ship on the 26th. Helios has many colors to choose from. Did you think i would choose any other color other than Orange.

The 26th with a few days shipping to me will give me time to cut up both chassis and make the bottom plate to attach them together.

Stay Tuned.....
Attached Images

Last edited by cmbscx10; 10-12-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added Description
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Cool idea. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

This should be a cool build.
I have a build that has a 17.5'' wheel base that uses the Yeti Xl body. I love the wheelbase! Works and turns great. I need it because I rock crawl mostly with it. I use a Summit tranny to make that possible.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

If you use the rovan lights and install them under the eyebrows then it looks as if it was make that way to protect the lights.

Last edited by twissted; 10-14-2015 at 09:26 AM.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
If you use the rovan lights and install them under the eyebrows then it looks as if it was make that way to protect the lights.
Thanks for the tip. Since I have two bodies, I'll cut one as my original plan and if that doesn't look right I'll use your idea as it looks good on your cage.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
This should be a cool build.
I have a build that has a 17.5'' wheel base that uses the Yeti Xl body. I love the wheelbase! Works and turns great. I need it because I rock crawl mostly with it. I use a Summit tranny to make that possible.
I hope it will be cool. I like the idea and it is something a little different from the norm, just like me.

In order to "center" the trans mount and still allow enough room for at least a 2S pack in th battery compartment, the WB will be roughly the same as stock. If it gets hung up I can shorten the links and bring the front tire more in center of the dumbo ear area which will put it at 17.5".
Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Pro-Line discontinued Weld Racing Bead locks Update

I was able to pick up a 2nd set of these rims. The 2nd set were actually professionally narrowed by Crawler Innovations but they are not here yet.

So, while the 2nd set is in transit, i wanted to try different color combos because NO way was i going to run the stock Chrome. This is the first (Black) one to see if the wheels plastic will actually dye like normal. Didn't fully take but from 2ft away it doesn't look bad. Gray will be next.

** Due to the wheels being narrowed i wanted to try just one side and not fully submerge the wheel as i am not sure the heat will let loose the epoxy used to join them back together. The Wheel nut will cover most of the "White" portion that did not see dye.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 10-14-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammer & Added Pic
Old 10-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Look what was on my doorstep tonight. Yeti XL #2 Donor Rig. Let the measurements and cutting commence.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

let the hacking begin !

wonder if I could fit one of those XL bodies on my 6th scale chassis ?

besides hacking up both chassis's...
will you be needing to hack up both bodies as well ?
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
let the hacking begin !

wonder if I could fit one of those XL bodies on my 6th scale chassis ?

besides hacking up both chassis's...
will you be needing to hack up both bodies as well ?
I'll bring one up for you to try.

My stock body (Yeti XL #1 - Orange/Blue) will not be touched but put on the shelf.

Yeti XL #2 (Gray One) body will only be cut up at the dumbo ears and possibly the front panels a little bit below the dumbo ears to clear the shocks. Other than a custom mount for the body clips i don't see it being modified too much. At least that's the theory right now but will know once the two are joined.

Axial Wraith XL "MMTB" Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build onebullet Axial AX-10 Scorpion 163 10-13-2015 01:28 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM
Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build" JAM MaxAmps.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-06-2008 10:00 PM
Axial Scorpion Lizard Tires "In Stock" and "Shipping" 6/26/07 **RCP Crawlers** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 6 06-27-2007 10:33 AM