Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Crawler Innovations, Szczerba Built, & JWalker Designs Willys Build

Go figure. Guess it's about time to continue the build
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #62

Love the color, and all the top shelf work done on this rig. If this style/ type of crawler has gone out of fashion... I'll be happy to take it off your hands and put it to good use somewhere besides a shelf.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
MrSquiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #63
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Go figure. Guess it's about time to continue the build

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSquiggles View Post
Love the color, and all the top shelf work done on this rig. If this style/ type of crawler has gone out of fashion... I'll be happy to take it off your hands and put it to good use somewhere besides a shelf.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I say it's not for sale, but nearly everything has a price LOL. This would be quite expensive. I've now run two complete 4S 2200mah packs through it. It's a joy to drive. Much more to come.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #64
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Passion. For whatever reason, this build has tested my passion for this hobby. I know that I have it, and this project has brought out aspects of my character that I'd not considered before. As I age growing older, my time seemingly becomes more limited and selective. When building custom rc's they seem like a vacuum for time, creative thought, construction and deconstruction. This rig has proved no different.

I guess to start with, I had assembled an aluminum transmission for this build using a collection of mismatched manufactures parts. The trans case was an anodized green that was hideous and my son protested it's use. So I rebuilt that trans into a different case. I installed that trans with a Tekin Pro4 motor, and did not like the abrupt torque startup and low speed resolution.

Out came the transmission and motor for a second motor to try. This time I thought I would try a lower KV, still four pole, 3mm motor shaft so I could gear down further. A Teking ROC412 2300KV;

One thing to note, removing the transmission and motor is a bit difficult and time consuming with this custom crawler. Thankfully Szczerba built a rear trans brace that mounts to the body. This greatly strengthens the trans mount keeping it secure, but it adds to the difficulty to remove the trans. Also the front axle blocks the trans bolts. So this entire motor swapping, tuning, and initial test run on it's way to consuming its first battery pack took several hours .

The ROC 412 still had the abrupt torque start and not enough low speed resolution for this build. This had me stumped. I fully expected to enjoy the ROC 412. Since this is a custom build, I am limited on my under hood clearance in regards to motor can length. A Tekin Pro4 HD will not fit under the hood due to the longer can. This custom crawler is extremely heavy to, so a motor with torque is required. Time to try something different.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #65
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I decided to try a Trinity 17.5 two pole motor for this build. We have been using a lot of Tekin 13.5 motors on 4S lipo in our scalers for years and always enjoy them.

The transmission is Vanquish Products aluminum case in black. It is filled with Vanquish Products steel gear set, Robinson Racing Products 60T hardened steel spur gear assembly, Billet Works Design aluminum motor plate, MIP steel drive shafts, Geared 60T spur / 9t pinion, 32pitch.

Electronics; Castle Creation One Cell Mamba Max Pro ESC; Castle BEC, Trinity 17.5 motor, running on 6S 3300Mah 60C lipo battery.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #66
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

So to recap, so far this Willys hasn't completed it's first 4S battery pack, and it's already on it's 3rd motor and now second transmission because the first transmission I assembled somehow ended up with an aluminum idler gear between a steel top and bottom gear. It didn't last long and I had to remove the trans again and install the new VP complete VP gear set.

Once the trans was set up correctly, the proper motor and gearing was found, next came this :

Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #67
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

From the first pull of the throttle trigger, this build needed some weight down low and it was going to need strength. I have not found anything that holds up to our custom builds in the stock style. It doesn't matter the brand or quality of that brand. Steel breaks under heavy loads and high performance. I specialize in creating traction. So obviously my builds are going to test for the peak performance. It is my nature to work for the best.

With that said, this build has a heavy cage and giant spare tire out back. To counter act that, Dlux Fab knuckles were installed. I started with full brass but it was not heavy enough. I ended up using drilled brass knuckles filled with tungsten slugs and weight rings added.

I also purchased the Dlux Fab FBA wraith/bomber 4340 Steel axle shafts after I had broken the set I made from Kyosho.

Front axle re-assembled and ready for install;

A quick tip about ring and pinions; there should not be any in or out movement of the pinion in the axle case. To prevent movement, add steel shims to the pinion between the bearing and drive shaft yoke.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #68

New to Forum and finally have a 2001 Hasbro Jeep on the way to build. Your axles look great! Are the Wraith axles still preferred for these Willys builds over all the axles available these days? Thanks.
dav57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #69
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav57 View Post
New to Forum and finally have a 2001 Hasbro Jeep on the way to build. Your axles look great! Are the Wraith axles still preferred for these Willys builds over all the axles available these days? Thanks.

I can't speak for others, but these Vanquish Products Currie Rock Jock Axles are working great. Plenty of strength, especially when combined with Dlux Fab steering knuckles and axle shafts. The AR60 width has worked well on the rocks and I am please with the scale look of them. This Willys was built for performance first. Function over form.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #70
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

As a Thank You to you, the valued customer, whose product support makes it possible for Crawler Innovations to be a manufacturer in the RC hobby. Use the discount code "iamworthy" on your next Crawler Innovations order for 11% off.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I can't speak for others, but these Vanquish Products Currie Rock Jock Axles are working great. Plenty of strength, especially when combined with Dlux Fab steering knuckles and axle shafts. The AR60 width has worked well on the rocks and I am please with the scale look of them. This Willys was built for performance first. Function over form.
Thank you for response. Have you or anyone tried the alloy SCX10 sets from Ebay or are they not strong enough?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Complete...oAAOSweptcjztx
Old 04-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #72
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav57 View Post
Thank you for response. Have you or anyone tried the alloy SCX10 sets from Ebay or are they not strong enough?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Complete...oAAOSweptcjztx

This is a great forum to use the search feature on.

You get what you pay for. Plus you have to ask yourself what you are building, a model, or an rc crawler? Function over form as I have already stated. There's a reason you see all of the top quality parts and builders involved with this project. A budget wasn't a word even considered for building this project. The bigger the RC, the more it costs because the more strength it needs to be durable.

My Big Blue is a perfect example of a design brought to the limit of the materials available. Every outing cost something. Mostly broken axle shafts. And to bring that truck to Dlux Fab standard parts isn't worth the investment to me. So consequently Big Blue is a shelf queen.

So what are you building?
Old 04-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #73

A basic crawler with driver. Finally got a Hasbro 2001 from Ebay for decent price...the one with gun and painted dirt on it. Have a TRX4 Sport and Gen8 but Race730 on YouTube got me hooked on the Willys. Loved GI Joes way back when...lol.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Punisher 17.5... a beast of a motor I must say. I'm glad you have taken a liking to the trinity motors. They have been my go to for the past 4 years. How is that 17.5 holding up on 4s?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #75
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Punisher 17.5... a beast of a motor I must say. I'm glad you have taken a liking to the trinity motors. They have been my go to for the past 4 years. How is that 17.5 holding up on 4s?

It's on 6S 60C 3300mah and it is holding up great! I'm very surprised and pleased. The lack of torque of the 2 pole combined with low gearing and high voltage yield a throttle that feels like a brushed motor at start up.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Dang! 6s.. Lol. You should tell them you are running one on 6s. I bet thier heads would explode!

Cant wait for a pair of 13.5 punishers to show up at my door.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #77
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Gavin created this video for Crawler Innovations and it features the newly completed Willys. This custom built rc crawler is the combined creation of many talented builders. Szczerba Built, JWalker Designs, Ayala Metal Works, Vanquish Products, and Crawler Innovation all contributed to this build. The detailed build up and its story are on the RCCrawler Forum:
Crawler Innovations, Szczerba Built, & JWalker Designs Willys Build

Gavin drove the Willys, captured the video, and edited this video for Crawler Innovations. In this video, the Willys is using a 6S 60C 3300Mah Lipo battery, combined with a Castle Creations One Cell Mamba Max Pro ESC, Castle Creation BEC, Trinity 17.5 Punisher 2 pole motor, and a Hitec steering servo.

The tires are discontinued RC4WD 2.2 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial version. The tires are super soft, very thin with short lugs and no internal ribbing. The foams are all Deuces Wild Heavy Weight, P/N; CWR-1325 in front, CWR-1326 in rear, with CWR-3315 in each wheel foam added width. The 2.2 bead locks are discontinued Vanquish Products KMC wheels in negro.

Thank you for watching. If you enjoyed it, please subscribe, like, or comment for more.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #heavyweightfoams

Old 04-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see this Jerp come back to life.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #79
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Nice to see this Jerp come back to life.

Agreed. Its been nice to have a challenging project in the Willys.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #80
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Willy on the rocks;

Crawler Innovations, Szczerba Built, & JWalker Designs Willys Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scratch built willys build Ghost Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 01-06-2016 12:43 PM
JWalker Designs personal Yeti Body jwalker Paint and Body 12 09-27-2014 01:59 AM