Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep TJ on 40's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Jeep TJ on 44's

Need to finish my Bomber 1st so this is a sneak peak at my summer project. After i built my F350 1/6 scale i realized the 18.5" wheel base on 2.2 tires just didn't work. Super happy with the way it turned out but defiantly not a crawler. So, shorter WB and bigger tires were on the menu for my next build.

New Bright Rock Krawler edition TJ on 40ish tires. Will run my Yeti XL 7.25" Tires on Narrowed Pro Lines and a 16-16.5" WB. With the tires it should crawl like a 14-14.5" WB. ** I put my 5.8" Pit Bull RB2's and they looked like 1.55's.

Now just need to fill the bank account and time account.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 01-19-2018 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added Title
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jeep TJ on 40's

cool body

in support of your debauchery

a few might actually work somewhat

~ if'n yer a mall crawler ~

how the luv comes to end !? Lol...

next up... you'll be sportin' one of these !?

TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I think it'll be a cool build, Mike. I picked up some 14mm hexes to try to use 1 of the 3 sets of T-Maxx wheels I have from a basket-case on my G.I.Joe Jeep. I think my problem is going to come from the offset on those rims though. They all look too deep, and I won't be able to steer.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I think it'll be a cool build, Mike. I picked up some 14mm hexes to try to use 1 of the 3 sets of T-Maxx wheels I have from a basket-case on my G.I.Joe Jeep. I think my problem is going to come from the offset on those rims though. They all look too deep, and I won't be able to steer.
I think the same as well. Something a little different.

Can you narrow them or is that not worth it?

Here is the TJ on my Pit Bulls. Just doesn't look right to me. It looks too stock.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 09-17-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Deleted Photos
Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well the summer build obviously didn't happen due to real life and hectic work schedule. So, this hopefully will turn into a Winter build.

I had a spare BPC chassis that i will use on this rig but there are a few problems with using it that i will need to tackle.

1. It is too short WB wise so i will have to lengthen it but more on that later.

2. I used the same chassis design on my F350 with a Wraith skid and Wraith axles and liked the shock mounting points and overall geometry it gave. I am using Twin Force extended axles 15" Hex to Hex (more on those later) and the frame doesn't sit right on the body. Using the TF axles to keep in proportion with the body, Suspension geometry and massive tire theme meant i had to make the frame rails 7" Wide. So, i bought a block of delrin and decided to make my own skid. Eehhh Wrong! I ran into my lack of fab skills for where the links would go. So, for this mock up i just widened the stock skid using a piece of the Delrin block. If it blows apart or doesn't work then I'll figure something out later on.

Here is what i did:

Cut Wraith Skid i half

Drilled through the lower link mounts to make a hole for the set screw

Installed 3x20mm set screws to join the skid half and Delrin block

Cut Delrin block, used the set screws to mark the holes, drilled and tapped them for the 3mm Set Screws.

I'll use this skid for mock up and if it works i will shape the skid, either epoxy everything together or use Bondic Not a Glue

More to come but not for a while as late September October are crazy busy with everyone wanting to spend their budgets.

Last edited by cmbscx10; 01-23-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

You want to see

Last edited by twissted; 11-06-2016 at 01:15 AM.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the pic.

I'll be using these

Extensions drilled and tapped. Goofed on the measurement on the right one but its all good. Won't effect performance.

Need to put on the Alum Chub on the left but you get the idea. Hex to Hex ended up being 14.5"

Last edited by cmbscx10; 01-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here is mine on 40 series mudsligers

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is with clod buster tires

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is with jconcepts scorpios, which are just shy of 6"

[IMG][/IMG]

I would have to say for myself the jconcepts scorpios are my favorite tire look, but I have worked my way to more of a daily driver kind of rigs.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post

Here it is with jconcepts scorpios, which are just shy of 6"

[IMG][/IMG]

I would have to say for myself the jconcepts scorpios are my favorite tire look, but I have worked my way to more of a daily driver kind of rigs.
Thanks for the pics. Like them all. Originally thought about JC Scorpios but couldn't find any pics on this size Heep. Would you happen to have a full side view?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Not really any good ones,

[IMG][/IMG]

One with a scx10

[IMG][/IMG]
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yup i know but started a little more on this build. Starting to gain some momentum.

Frame and links mocked up. Need to redrill the front Knuckles to clock them correctly for pinion angle as they are backwards from normal. Then i can mock the upper links.

I will have a link vendor on RCC bend the links curved like the back right one. That link is a Wraith link at a Wraith is 14.75" WB. This in total is 16" WB.

Now the frame length is set i can have BPC Chassis cut me out one.

** Crap photo angle looks like the links are all wonky but i can assure you they are correct.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Little motor mount mock up during lunch. Once centered the DS will be 1/4 offset from center which is what I was hoping for.

1/4" SS links are ordered and being made by RCC Vendor so should have those in a few weeks.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Low and tucked just like I planned.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

A little size reference for those who are curious

The 3.8 Falkens are 7.3 tall
The Black Traxxas DS are fully extended at 7in. The Front DS you will see a silver line. That line is i have 20mm of shaft still engaged so this one is 6.25in.

I was going to have BPC cut me out a frame as they did an excellent job on my 1/6 F350 but $150 was a little much. I wanted a scroll saw for a long time. Didn't have Rockwell or Hegner $$ to spend so the WEN won. I was going to do the frame out of Delrin but damn that was $50 alone. So, i got a 12x24" sheet of HPDE for $13 and the saw for under $100 total. If the HPDE doesn't work with all the bracing i have planned then i can still get the sheet of Delrin like i wanted to. Win win IMO.

More to come..................
Old 01-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
Definitely watching this as i just picked one up for $40 and need a little inspiration
scalemadness,
Dang. That was a score. Knock that body off and look forward to what you come up with. Mine has been very fun so far. Lost a little hair with the TF axles but plugging away.

Wheel shots and just threw the body on but pretty close to what it will end up like.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Started thinking about lights. I had these Vanquish Products 1", 4" and 5" LED's from my Bomber, SCX and Ford F350 1/6 just sitting around. They are meant for 1/10 scale so even the biggest 6" would be too small on the roof at 8.5" where the A/B pillar cage will be. The VP LED's are not exactly the advertising size. the 5" is actually 5.5", 4" is 4.5" and the 1" is 1.5". Easier to advertise and sell a 4" LED than a 4.5" LED i guess.

Scratched my head a little bit and came up with this. Took a 4" and a 1" LED and bolted the two end caps together to get 7". Ordered another 1" LED and will do the same on the Left side. I am in discussions with a RCC vendor to do the cage, F/R bumpers and body armor. I'll have him incorporate mounting tabs for the LED or see if he can use the VP JK Mounts.

Like the Hood mounted LED's so i'll used the Vanquish Products 5" for that and make the raised tabs myself.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Lightbar all done.

Mounted the hood light. Flipped the mounts so it would stay in the middle of the hood instead of using spacers to mount after the bubble in the hood.

Won't get much air intake and will fog up the windows cause I covered up half the intake

Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Little Roll Cage tease. Yup i changed my mind due to the cost but will explain in my normal short story once my parts arrive.

Still waiting for my custom links but i am being told they will be finished this weekend.

Had to scratch my head a little on this one.

The A & B pillar supports for the stock cage were snapped in these sections. The stock cage was a half moon hollow thing. I planned to make a plate from on top of the floor pan and then put a washer on the bottom to sammich them together. The shape threw me for a bit and instead of cutting down a washer i decided to do this. I think it will work so will do the other pillar the same way. Hope no Federal PO PO guys are on this site.

Damn this thing is costing me more $$

Original cage pockets

Middle Vertical Cage Supports

Fawk it, go in all in. Now I'm at $.20

Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Lots of cool stuff going on here.

Nice work on the coin braces!!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Lots of cool stuff going on here.

Nice work on the coin braces!!
Thanks. I appreciate the comment.

Thanks. Something a little different than the norm. This project is not normal by any means so why not and cheap to boot.

Jeep TJ on 40's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F350 on 40's simon170 Large Scale Rigs 25 05-21-2013 11:36 PM
Fine 40's Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 107 01-21-2012 10:08 PM
40's Mashers? run2jeepn Tires and Wheels 11 06-13-2007 02:06 PM