Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Just pulled the trigger on a Dragon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just pulled the trigger on a Dragon

I got one rear axle done and waiting for the axle housing to make the other rear axle, I got the tubes cut and ready to go

I also got my front tubes cut and there long enoug so the bearing is at the end of the axle shaft and C-hub

Still need to cut the front axle on the XR ones so there is a bearing at the end of the axle and c-hub

Going too take my time or go up too the college and use the mill as a drill press and drill my tubes

The holes needed for the c-hubs are no problem, it is the other holes that are closer to the differential

That are a pain in the ass and walk on you, I'm using my cordless drill, a mill or drill press

Would drill straight and clean holes and then I tap the one holes and finish the axles
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 09-27-2016 at 06:02 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

That's it for me a few days

I punctured my finger with a brand new out of the package, high speed hard metal bit in my finger

Trying to drill the axle tubes was in Get Er Done mode and was rocking some tunes

And stabbed my finger good, left bleed to clean its self out, put on a band aide and soldiered on

And it swelled up over night went Urgent Care, they drained my finger, and it feels much better now and got some Antibiotics

Bleeding and hurt, I finished the axle I was working on

I got the 2 rear axles done and one front axle done

The fronts axles are a pain in the ass

It took me a little while to figure out to after I drilled one and tapped it, that it blew the holes out at the end of the axle tube for the screws for the C-hubs

I used the bearing as a template to mark the axle tube and then move that distance back and close the the line, I drilled a 7/64'' pilot hole and tapped them with the 3 mm tap

And when done right, there still is meat at the end of the tube and the screws secure the C-hubs and the and dog bones, go in far enough with no binding

It took me awhile to figure that one of the Dog Bones was binding up the knuckles, I shaved the end of the tube and that was enough for the Dog Bone to go in far enough in the end of the axle and tube and C-hub,

I fixed the binding problem,

Got one more front axle to do, there a pain in the ass, I got it figured out now

And still looking for reasonable priced axle shafts and universals

For the XR Modded axles, going to wait until I got universals before I cut them for the bearing and the end of the axles and where the c-hubs hold the bearing in
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 09-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Yeah Baby

I finally fixed my Wraith AR60 axles, I've had a problem with the C-Hubs and rear lockouts coming loose

Even after they were lock tided and new holes they would not work or stay tight

I fixed them by cutting up the scrap pieces of 1/8'' pipe nipples, that I used for my SCX10 axles

And made the pieces 3/4'' long, so the C-hubs and lock outs are now tight

And will not fall out, cause they thread into the mini axle tubes

I should of done this as, I was building my Wraith kits

Cause the design of screwing into plastic, to lock the c-hubs and lockouts

Is not going to work, and had problems from day one

3/4'' is long enough for one screw to secure the mini tubes

And not have to drill and cut slots in the tubes for the shock and lower link mounts

Cause I looked online at Wraith axle tubes, they all have a slot cut in the for shock and link mount screws

And not sure, if I could duplicated the slots in 8 pieces, so I came up with something else, is stead of cutting slots

As you can see, I missed the end of the mini axle tube, on one of the axles and you can see, the mini tubes stop short of shock and link mounts

I will patch hole in the axle and there good to go, they were cleaned and re-greased, and like new

Got 2 sets of AR60 axles, one set has universals, the other set has dog bones and axle shafts, so my mod works with both front axle setups

Yeah Baby

I'm like Wiley Coyote, Super Genius
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 10-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

I found enough screws and finished the last SCX10 axle

I did 2 sets of normal SCX10 axles and one set of XR Modded axles

Need to buy some axles for the XR axles I thinking of buying the Wraith long sides and cut the to fit

I fixed both sets of AR60 axles, now the C-hubs and lockouts are tight
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 10-07-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Just pulled the trigger on a Dragon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just pulled the trigger on a CC-01 abailey21 Tamiya XC/CC01 35 10-28-2012 09:43 PM
Pulled the trigger XJkid93 Axial XR10 2 04-19-2012 03:30 AM
pulled the trigger.. 94smasher Axial SCX-10 6 03-17-2012 03:59 PM
pulled the trigger 501 Team Losi Comp Crawler 14 12-27-2010 12:03 PM
Pulled the trigger smokediver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 03-07-2010 03:07 AM