Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Axial yeti XL, good trail truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #1

Default Axial yeti XL, good trail truck?

Im thinking about getting a yeti XL but im not sure how it will perform on the trail, what are its strengths, an what are its weaknesses?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
SeenFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial yeti XL, good trail truck?

In my opinion the yeti xl wont make a good trail truck there more of a go fast though the desert type truck there not realy good for anything else there very hard to steer the gears and bearings arent strong enuff so the metal front diff and r3ar axle housings are a must just to make it usable although i havent blown a bearing or gear set since going 3s so maybe thats the sweet spot for reliabuility everything about 5he yxl is.exspensive there big and heavy dont turn for squat and the open diffs suck for crawling i had nothing but problems when i locked my diff the locker keeps striping and the pin would snap like butter

The other side is there a blast on a bike track or a open desert course charging woops and mowing over tumble weeds lol jumping sand dunes and chasing jack rabits lol basicly the yeti needs alot of space to fully enjoy it a tight trail would be hard for the yxl to navigate
I.dont think the yxl will.ever see its full.potential as axial and the aftermarket kinda just forgot about it
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

It's probably going to get discontinued like the rest of the Yeti line. That's a good reason to avoid it. If you want something smaller (around 1/8th scale) check out the Losi Rock Rey. The kit is on sale right now for $250! You'd have to build it yourself and furnish electronics, but it would make a better, more durable trail truck.

If you want something more scale check out the Traxxas TRX-4.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The Rock Rey is indeed capable even without lockers and the investment to fix any problems is much less than the YXL. The YXL is hilarious fun but a bit of a money pit. I loved mine but something always broke. Great concept but Axial under built a few parts.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial yeti XL, good trail truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeti trail truck fullsizecrawler Axial Yeti 4 05-25-2015 01:48 AM
What's a good brushless combo for a trail truck on a budget ek9808 Electronics 0 08-29-2012 08:07 PM
Ridgecrest: Good Trail Truck for the Wife??? Gimpdiggity Axial AX10 2nd-gen 6 05-27-2012 05:14 PM