Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Dragon Willys build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Dragon Willys build

I think I bought this kit almost ten years ago, finally decided to do something with it.

I'm not aiming for a competition crawler of any sort, nor a period-correct scaler, just something like you might find out on the trails today. I imagined something like Mad Brit's jeep...

...with all the bits and pieces but with modern axles and decent sized tires.

Oh, and on leaf springs.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Dragon Willys build

I decided to see if I can use the kit frame before making something so I filled it in with epoxy and mounted some Tamiya spring Bruiser hangers. Springs are Bruiser main leaf only for now.

Originally I was going to use SCX width axles but I didn't want to end up with limited steering so I robbed my Wraith of its axles and found these Chinese off-brand Bogger copies that seem to have the look I'm after. The leaf spring perches are printed from something I drew up in Fusion 360.

As for the body I decided to try something with the paint. I first concocted an orangey/brown color that I brushed on. I was then going to brush on some water-based acrylic over top in the hopes that as it scratches off the orange base would show through as rust. While this would actually work I felt the acrylic paint was coming off too easy (I could scratch it off with my nail with minimal pressure) so I instead sprayed it with Ford blue and then with Tamiya AS-8 Navy Blue. The orange base is Tremclad and from past experience I knew that a heavy spray over top with automotive paint makes it lift and krinkle if you don't give it a week to dry and harden. This gave me some bubbling underlying rust effect and looks the part for 70+ year old Jeep. The Tamiya AS-8 is specifically aircraft paint and has a nice satin-to-matte finish that I also think looks right for an old Trail Flattie.

And that's how it sits as of now while I paint the bits and pieces and figure out the drivetrain.
Here it is with my Bomber. It's about the same track and width.

I had a set of fat Boggers (35x16-15LT) on my 1:1 Toyota 4Runner and I think these copies have the same look.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So while the tire was perfect, the wheels were not.

But mounted to the AR60 axle they leave a lot of the axle thread exposed which allowed me to do this...

The outer wheel was actually something I found on Thingiverse (as part of an army trailer that you can see in the background of the first pic) and the hub I drew up in Fusion. I added some 2mm hardware and rust color to complete the look.

The hub threads onto the exposed axle threads and simply holds the "cap" in place.

It looks a bit strange with all the lips but it's certainly more "Jeepish" than the original wheel.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

looking good.
ctmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmandu View Post
looking good.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Has anybody played with one of these yet?

It's just a two-stage planetary drive with a motor mount. The gears all look sintered but should hold up with a high-turn motor.

I have a 55 turn attached to it now and the advertised reduction is 5:1 so hopefully the motor doesn't get too hot. If it's no bueno I can probably run an 80 turn instead.

I printed up a 1/10 scale Chevy SB to slide over the 540 motor but it looks too small under the hood. I can try scaling it up and see what that gets me.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

i have the same gear set just haven't installed it yet, haven't had the money to finish mine yet. let us know how it turns out. i like the motor cover...

Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i have the same gear set just haven't installed it yet, haven't had the money to finish mine yet. let us know how it turns out. i like the motor cover...
For some reason I can't see your pic.

I didn't really want a Chevy V8 under the hood so if I can't find something better I might take a stab at designing my own. I'd prefer a stockish looking 4 banger so we'll see. Even a Ford Flathead V8 would't be too bad.

I ordered one of those RC4WD "Disruptor" style divorced t-cases and I think it has a 2:1 gear ratio. That would put me at around 29:1 overall gear ratio which isn't as low as I would like. I am also thinking about an HG402 gearbox is the gearing is lower. That would kind of make it almost impossible to have a realistic motor under the hood though.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 01-13-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm interested in seeing how that planetary works out. I'm ordering one for a '56 International pickup I'm working on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
For some reason I can't see your pic.
try this dont know why it didn't show up? https://photos.app.goo.gl/JkomHri2WJUyqJbK7 for my pictures and build...

also have you seen this? I think you will like it. https://youtu.be/G26udLGgdkg

Last edited by ctmandu; 01-14-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #11

Nice build! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
try this dont know why it didn't show up? https://photos.app.goo.gl/JkomHri2WJUyqJbK7 for my pictures and build...

also have you seen this? I think you will like it. https://youtu.be/G26udLGgdkg
Awesome build! Love the rust and weathering. That mini is pretty sweet too.

Thanks for the vid on that motor build. I subbed to the channel since it has all sorts of cool.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Have you guys checked some of the other builds in this section using the same Dragon Willy's?

Here's a link for some useful parts for the 1/6 Jeeps: https://rcpcrawlers.com/home.php?cat=51

And for the dash decals/stickers go here: http://patchesofpride.com/

Last edited by Mike Flea; 01-14-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Have you guys checked some of the other builds in this section using the same Dragon Willy's?

Here's a link for some useful parts for the 1/6 Jeeps: https://rcpcrawlers.com/home.php?cat=51
saw those. I know the roll cage is for the hasbro and not sure if it will fit the Dragon as it is just a little bigger and he was not sure if it would.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I know his cage won't fit my Hasbro. They fit the later year Hasbro's, mine is the earlier '60's/70's, which is even bigger than the Dragon, yet still 1/6.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

And for the dash decals/stickers go here: PATCHES OF PRIDE
I did check out all the builds, mostly looking for leaf-spring builds. Not too many of them so I'm learning as I go.

Good to know I can get more decals if I mess mine up. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
saw those. I know the roll cage is for the hasbro and not sure if it will fit the Dragon as it is just a little bigger and he was not sure if it would.
Quote:
I know his cage won't fit my Hasbro. They fit the later year Hasbro's, mine is the earlier '60's/70's, which is even bigger than the Dragon, yet still 1/6.
I'm planning to make my own metal cage. I thought about printing one but it wouldn't look right without a ton of finishing.
When I fastbacked my Wraith I designed and printed some tubes with less than desirable results. Looks good from far but...

Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

That's what I did with brakeline and silver solder, made my own, and the way it's fastened to the body, it can be carried by the cage
Old 01-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That's what I did with brakeline and silver solder, made my own, and the way it's fastened to the body, it can be carried by the cage
What size brake line? A 3" rollbar would be 12.7mm in 1/6th scale. That's kind of big. Even 2.5" pipe is big in scale at 10.6mm
Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
I'm interested in seeing how that planetary works out. I'm ordering one for a '56 International pickup I'm working on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's smooth running and very quiet. It has a good solid feeling to it. I packed mine with some good grease as they come dry.

I thought about buying another one and stacking them for 25:1 gear reduction but that might be a wee bit TOO low.

Dragon Willys build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Willys Dragon STRAT Large Scale Rigs 52 12-05-2016 04:04 AM
hard top dragon willys.. rcjeepbuilder Large Scale Rigs 7 12-14-2012 03:44 PM
the green dragon... 1:6 willys built a lil different. brandonwalsh420 Large Scale Rigs 49 10-27-2012 10:03 PM
Dragon Willys 1:6 way6317 Large Scale Rigs 17 04-12-2012 12:44 PM