Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's Unlimited Desert Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Codyboy's Unlimited Desert Racer

I had this almost done and lost everything, so here goes again.
I don't see a lot of interest with this, but a couple friends asked that I take the time to do it.
I bought the UDR a few weeks ago when Ebay had their last 15% off sale, saved $100 dollars. It has been in my sights since they first came out last year.
I research for a couple weeks on large scale trucks and MT and had a few in my basket, but just couldn't decide. Nate wanted me to get XMAXX but that thing seemed so darn big. Almost bought a couple different Losi 1/6 scales. I finally decided I wanted something with IFS and the UDR was closer to 1/7 scale over the 1/6 and close to 1/5 scale losi rock racers.

Here is my parts list so far:

3 HR alum diff cups
Hardened steel center drive slider
Vitavon CNC alum rear axle housing
Alum rear trail arms
XT90 wire connectors
HR heavy duty knuckles with up sized bearings
HR rear axle lockouts
HR fixed link steering arm
Castle Mamba Monster X ESC
RPM front skid plate
Holmes Hobbies HV500v2 servo
55t spur gear
25t pinion
A bottle of 100,000 WT diff fluid (front and rear)
A bottle of 1 Million WT diff fluid (center)
Rear open diff kit
2 Sets of alum brake rotor/17mm hexes

Next on the list will be some more aggressive tires. Did I mention that I kind of wanted to make a few small changes to be able to play on some rocks!
Now I'll go see if I can get some PICS. I want to submit this before I lose it again!

Since we don't have a large size RC site anymore I wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if it bothers anyone being here. It is one of the most "scaled, detailed RTRs I've ever purchased.

So, no unboxing, you can see all of those you want on YOUTUBE.

Parts so far.

Its new home.

Tons of travel, even with limiting straps.

Maybe a little more later if anyone is interested.

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-07-2019 at 10:23 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's Unlimited Desert Racer

Nice! I like the UDR. I wonder if Traxxas would make a smaller sized version.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looking forward to watching the progression.
youngDUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

im curious as to why you got the open rear diff kit?
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Dang that looks good Ernie, impressive list of parts too! X-Maxx is a ton of fun and knock on wood havent' broken much even with big jumps. I've been watching Traxxas UDR videos lately and Kevin Talbot does some crazy stuff....must resist another truck. Love the super detail and up-sized dimensions on the UDR, I think the open rear diff will make it handle even better and it's like a Slash on steroids with great scale detail!

Has the disassemble/rebuild begun yet?

I've seen the nice looking Vitavon CNC alum rear axle housings etcetera advertised but not seen how they actually perform.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-08-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Doubt it, that'd be direct competition with the slash then (even if it is more scale than a slash)

But i'd be all for it as it'd directly compete with the Losi Baja Rey. Seen a couple tracks run a race with them which is amazing (basically mini Super Stadium Truck races)

I REALLY REALLY wanted one of these myself, but decided on spending less than half on a 1/10 scale Baja Rey. I'll live vicariously through you
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The scale details and to scale parts are a cool part of this truck, But I don't see Traxxas competing with them selves in building a 1/10 scale counter part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngDUMP View Post
Looking forward to watching the progression.
Hope I don't disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
im curious as to why you got the open rear diff kit?
More for higher speed handling on harder surfaces. The rear wheels won't be fighting themselves trying to turn. I may go to a even higher weight oil in the rear after I run it a little. I still have the other rear housing with gears to compare with later. Of course it wouldn't make much difference on the softer ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Dang that looks good Ernie, impressive list of parts too! X-Maxx is a ton of fun and knock on wood havent' broken much even with big jumps. I've been watching Traxxas UDR videos lately and Kevin Talbot does some crazy stuff....must resist another truck. Love the super detail and up-sized dimensions on the UDR, I think the open rear diff will make it handle even better and it's like a Slash on steroids with great scale detail!

Has the disassemble/rebuild begun yet?

All disassembled, I wanted to make sure everything was tight and properly lubed. All three diffs needed more lubrication, I replaced the 30,00o wt in the front with 100,000, and added the same to the rear when I switched to the open diff in the rear. The center diff has 1 million wt and I added more to it. All three diffs received the HR diff cups to help dissipate heat issues. especially in the rear. That was one of the main reasons I spent $200 for the alum rear axle housing. I guess some guys were literally melting rear diffs. Slowly going back together.

So I removed the body, and part of the cage to access the top part of the chassis.

I've seen the nice looking Vitavon CNC alum rear axle housings etcetera advertised but not seen how they actually perform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Doubt it, that'd be direct competition with the slash then (even if it is more scale than a slash)

But i'd be all for it as it'd directly compete with the Losi Baja Rey. Seen a couple tracks run a race with them which is amazing (basically mini Super Stadium Truck races)

I REALLY REALLY wanted one of these myself, but decided on spending less than half on a 1/10 scale Baja Rey. I'll live vicariously through you

I bet you still have time to get one later!

The front diff from above, had to remove some of the front bulkhead screws to get it and the plastic middle slider drive shaft out. I replaced this shaft, as it is a weak spot in the drive system and isn't the easiest to get to.

Next I removed the bottom access plate to get to the motor, center drive system, and servo. I wanted to go to a little taller gears so when I had the center Diff out I replaced the stock gearing with a 55t spur gear and 25t pinion. that took it from 1.95 to 2.05. Big speed and bashing isn't my thing and I'm thinking I may want to play on some rocks once in a while so trying to improve slow speed start up. (I hope) I may switch over to one of Holmes 1/8/ large scale motors, thinking this, 2200 smooth startup Puller.
I also replaced the rear alum drive shaft with a hardened steel one.

So I've been adding some of the other up grade parts and waiting on a few more to get this on to the dirt. I have said many times in some of my other builds that I enjoy the build more than the driving. Dumb I know, I guess it is the old man in me.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-08-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
The scale details and to scale parts are a cool part of this truck, But I don't see Traxxas competing with them selves in building a 1/10 scale counter part.
Yep, the scale details would be the only reason I'd be interested in it. Not interested in a Slash at all! LOL
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

WOW!
this is very interesting to see what you will do with one of these... i'll be checking back for sure. Glad to see you staying busy young man! ;)

*i would LOVE to see some CODYBOY red/white/blue livery in some sort of wrap on this. are clear bodies available? i would image so but admittedly i know nothing about this platform. VERY cool, though!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
WOW!
this is very interesting to see what you will do with one of these... i'll be checking back for sure. Glad to see you staying busy young man! ;)

*i would LOVE to see some CODYBOY red/white/blue livery in some sort of wrap on this. are clear bodies available? i would image so but admittedly i know nothing about this platform. VERY cool, though!

I have the clear body resting on my shelf as we speak, I want to do a modified off fender body for playing on the rocks.!!

Surly coming with me to Pro-line By the Fire!

Ernie
Old 04-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Can’t wait to see what you do with this. I have one on the way too. Never had a high speed rig but wanted something fun to play with right at the house on the dirt and grass. Hoping it holds up. Nice list of upgrades you’ve got there. I’m going to keep mine stock and hopefully just enjoy it for what it is.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ernie, great that you have a clear body too!

Ben, awesome you'll like it! Should be great fun jumping, sliding and blasting around the little quarry crawling area you have nearby too! Only few basic mods needed to keep them together, depending on how much you drive like Kevin. Metal front driveshaft, RPM trailing arms (or keep spare Traxxas arms), swap out Traxxas battery plugs for XT90 or XT150, E6000 to seal around rear axle where gear reduction unit/pinion attaches to housing and housing ends, and around transmission. I've been beating my X-Maxx and it's also doing great with few basic mods.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I have the clear body resting on my shelf as we speak, I want to do a modified off fender body for playing on the rocks.!!

Surly coming with me to Pro-line By the Fire!

Ernie

so...
you're actually building a Traxxas ULTRA4 Desert Racer?!?!

i gotta see this thing how it handles some rocks... drag brake and maybe sludged up front diff??
all possible and my mind is racing how to make that work haha

looking forward to seeing it at ASCENDER CAMP 2.0!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

so...

i gotta see this thing how it handles some rocks... drag brake and maybe sludged up front diff??

I could see a Mamba X or Mamba Monster ESC with its AUX feature working great with its Rock race/Crawler mode.

I might just have to bring a basher too this year, I have an Arrma Senton 6S that might be able to keep up with the UDR.

Cant wait for PLBTF!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

man you all are going to make my yeti feel slow haha well okay it actually kinda is... i hope i can finish the overhaul for a full reveal there. haven't had time but i like working under pressure.

hope we can get the same spot as last year close to the huge ditch everyone was flying their slashes out of last year haha

DESERT GO FASTS, ASSEMBLE!!!!!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I just happened upon this thread, the bummer is I'm at work so I can 't view the awesome pictures until I get home. I want one of these to go with the X-maxx
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Can’t wait to see what you do with this. I have one on the way too. Never had a high speed rig but wanted something fun to play with right at the house on the dirt and grass. Hoping it holds up. Nice list of upgrades you’ve got there. I’m going to keep mine stock and hopefully just enjoy it for what it is.

Ben

Unlike some of my build it won't be anything to crazy Ben.
I know the stock setup isn't designed for rocks but I guess that's where the craziness comes into play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Ernie, great that you have a clear body too!

Ben, awesome you'll like it! Should be great fun jumping, sliding and blasting around the little quarry crawling area you have nearby too! Only few basic mods needed to keep them together, depending on how much you drive like Kevin. Metal front driveshaft, RPM trailing arms (or keep spare Traxxas arms), swap out Traxxas battery plugs for XT90 or XT150, E6000 to seal around rear axle where gear reduction unit/pinion attaches to housing and housing ends, and around transmission. I've been beating my X-Maxx and it's also doing great with few basic mods.
It won't be clear for long, but I'm looking for someone to paint it for me! Hey Nate, wouldn't it be fun bashing at Pro-Line By the Fire. So far I think we have four large scale trucks coming just in our group. How about it Bud, I think you and Paul should do a road trip in May!!!!

Quote:

so...

Nothing to crazy as far as changes Chris. Maybe tires, gearing, and ride height. I have the ESC changes covered with the Mamba Monster X, Casey covered that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I could see a Mamba X or Mamba Monster ESC with its AUX feature working great with its Rock race/Crawler mode.

I might just have to bring a basher too this year, I have an Arrma Senton 6S that might be able to keep up with the UDR.

Cant wait for PLBTF!

That would be cool Casey. Now we need to convince Nate to change his mind about not coming this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I just happened upon this thread, the bummer is I'm at work so I can 't view the awesome pictures until I get home. I want one of these to go with the X-maxx

Hey Paul, getting ready to post up a few more.

The 3.8 proline Badlands are right at 6" in dia, (stock tires are 5.25) and I don't thing they are going to play nice with the stock body.

Fully compress, I won't be able to turn.

And I can't bring myself to cut up this pretty new body, so bought this one.

Let the hacking begin!

Front views.

From the side. And a little shot of some of my burning projects.

And a perspective view compared to another project I'm working on.

Any suggestion on what I'm trying to do here? After I paint the body I'll reinforce it with sheetrock tape and E6000.

Later,
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-10-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Man Ernie! Your always building cool trucks! UDR rock crawling should be pretty interesting. Get one of these guys going to proline by the fire with you to shoot some video of that. Really digging that crawler you're building too! People get bored with your builds??? I can't get enough. If I could I would send you stuff to build just to see what you'd do to it keep up the great work brother!

NATE!!!! Proline....by.....the fire.... With those guys ^.......GO!!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The URD is looking mean all cut up, looks like plenty of room now.

As for the other project, it looks like a lot of room for these tires too but I'm not quite sure what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Get one of these guys going to proline by the fire with you to shoot some video of that.
NATE!!!! Proline....by.....the fire.... With those guys ^.......GO!!!!

I will try to film this time, I planned to last year but it was hard with so much going on.

Yes Nate reconsider!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-10-2019 at 08:36 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I will have a gopro with me this time, but like Casey says its hard to film with so much going on!

Nate you gotta come down, what if I strip servo horns again?!?!
Paul who will I complain about the raffle with!?!?
lol
But seriously... Last year was ridiculously fun!

Codyboy's Unlimited Desert Racer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer New Lower Price! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-26-2018 02:55 PM
Traxxas UDR Unlimited Desert Racer First Run 6S Theibault Non Crawler RC's 0 12-24-2018 04:46 PM
NEW Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer Accessories!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-03-2018 11:32 AM
Traxxas UDR Unlimited Desert Racer | Kraken LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 0 06-22-2018 03:32 AM
Traxxas UDR Unlimited Desert Racer in MUD LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 1 06-13-2018 09:04 PM