Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 Willys build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Default 1/6 Willys build questions

I've been spending the last few days looking through the builds on here and maybe I missed the answers to some of these questions, or maybe things have changed since some of these builds have been done. Either way, I'm a huge Jeep fan, currently own 9 Jeeps, (7 of which are Willys) and I really want to do a 1/6 Willys build so I'm hoping to get some of these questions answered. I numbered the questions so feel free to answer one or all of these questions if you know an answer for them.

As far as my skill level, the only RC vehicles I've had or own are a 2WD Wild Willys and a 2WD Midnight Pumpkin, but I had a great time building and flying my Concept 60 RC Helicopter kit, and also a wooden quadcopter from scratch. I work from home and have lots of time on my hands too. I used to run a metal fabrication shop out of my home, so I have plenty of tools and probably enough experience to build one of these. I think I'm about to start the parts gathering phase of this project.

Here's my questions:

1. What's a fair price for a Hasbro body? I see some on Ebay going for 150. Is that what I should expect to pay for one or should I wait to find a better deal somewhere?

2. Frame or unibody? It seems some people are building frames and mounting all the suspension and drivetrain to that, and some are mounting everything to the plastic body. Is there a prefferred method or is it strictly user preference?

3. Axle sourcing? Should I be looking for a certain axle from a certain rig (I've heard the name Wheelie King tossed around...) or should I get an axle from like a SCX10 or something and put some spacers or something in them to get the desired width. (BTW... I had no idea there was spacers available for these things)

4. Parts Rig? Should I be looking for a crashed rig to use as parts rig or is there not really a good rig with enough components to be worth it?

5. Suspension links? Are these links all custom made from brake tubing with ends welded on, or can I buy them made to order? What's the preferred method?

6. Motor? Any suggestions for a low speed crawling motor?

7. Parts needed? What is needed for a build like this? This is what I'm envisioning, please help me make a complete list:

Body (including any cage work or scale items desired like bumpers, figure, shovels, etc)
Tires and wheels
Axles
Suspension links and ends (Don't want to go leafs)
Shocks
Driveshafts and U-joints
Transfer case? (Not sure if this is needed on RC or if it's even called this)
Transmission? (again... not familiar with RC 4WD stuff)
Motor
ESC
Servos (2? one for motor one heavy duty one for steering?)
TX/RX
Battery/Charger

8. Price? I've never done a complete build of an RC vehicle. Considering I'll be What price range should I be expecting to pay for everything minus the body/cage, radio, battery and charger? $200-ish? $500-ish? $800-ish? $1200-ish? I literally have no idea.
Scratchthejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1/6 Willys build questions

The stock plastic frame rails are plenty strong when they are filled in with aluminum or styrene. My jeep used styrene, mainly to give the mounting hardware solid material to thread into.

Axles are a personal preference, there's lots of guys running full width AR60 ( Wraith) axles. The tires will stick out past the body a good bit but the axles are plenty strong and parts are still available. WK axles have a nice track width but parts are almost non existent these days. I narrowed AR60 axles 19 mm on my build, it was a bit of work but I like the way the tires fit under the body in a more realistic way. The full width axles will give you better steering, it's a trade off.

Transmissions are another personal choice, I used a completely stock AX-10 trans, complete with plastic gears that have never failed me. I used the rc4wd disruptor t-case, it's absolutely bullet proof with extra wide 32P gears inside.

You'll find a lot of guys will adapt Traxxas parts into the drive lines. I use E-Revo drive shafts, I've never completely broken one, just twisted a few at the spline area.

Steering servo, you'll want at least 500 oz for steering duty running on an external BEC.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here's a couple of answers for ya...

1. $150 is about the going price for one shipped. There are a few on ebay right now that are taking bids under $100.

2. As already mentioned, reinforced chassis can be used or fab a separate frame. User preference I think on that.

3. I would try to get your axles as close the proper width. Using long spacers can affect your scrub and turning in the front. Overall, wideners can put extra stress on the axle shafts and bearings, especially since these can be heavy. On my CJ6 I used RC4WD D44. The rear is the SCX width and only needed some small wideners. In the front, I offset the pumpkin using a combination of shafts and tubes from the Wraith width and the SCX width.

5. Because of the custom size, you will probably want to make your own links. These can be done several different ways. You can use threaded rod and sleeve it with brake line. Miniature Heim joint rod ends are available or you just get some aluminum ends to match the threaded rod. Pretty easy to make yourself.

6. Motors...I would start with a decent 55T brushed motor. If that doesn't work out, then you could always go brushless.

7. Any 12" figures will work for your driver/passenger. Details and scale accessories are so numerous for these, it's crazy. That's where the fun can really get happy.

I luv watching these getting built. Can't wait to see how yours comes out.

Last edited by 58_Willys; 05-01-2019 at 07:37 PM.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I paid between $80 to $100 including shipping for all 4 of my 6th scales, I got 2 Hasbro Jeeps, one is the Green Hasbro Jeep with the Mud Detail and the other Hasbro Jeep is the Tan Desert Version with the gas cans on the hood and a 6th Scale Jeep Mutt and a 6th scale Humvee that are made by 21st Century and I used Apoxie Sculpt too fill the rails on the Green one but never bought the 4 link mounts too finished it, the Humvee I made a chassis and used a Wraith skid plate and Wraith axles but scraped it and going to shorten the threaded rod and brake line links for the Green Jeep and use SCX10 axles if I get around to finish it, I also started working on the Jeep Mutt its going to need a chassis, so I cut out some chassis rails out of 1/8th plate and that's about as far as I got, I'm taking a break on building RC's for awhile cause I bought a 91 Chevy K1500 Short Bed and some used 33x12.50x15 Mud and Snows and been working on it and out wheeling as much as I can and been having a blast and have met some cool people so far

Last edited by kgb424; 05-07-2019 at 02:30 AM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

I need help... about 3 weeks ago, I had decided to get into RC crawlers, but which model, I had no idea. There are so many cool models doing awesome stuff on YouTube it was making my head spin. I found this forum, joined up, and asked for advice. After more research, I had decided on the TRX-4 since it had so many cool features like 2 speed transmission, remote lockers and portal axles. I wasn't in love with any of the body styles so I was thinking about getting the Tactical version since it was cheaper, and putting on a Cherokee body since I am a big Jeep guy. I wanted a Willys body, but it didn't look like it was in the cards for me. I could get the truck for 379, and a body for about 50 bucks. I already have lipos and chargers. About $430 bucks well spent I thought.

I looked at the 1/6 Willys projects but the Hasbro style bodies seemed to be so much money, and since this would be my first RC 4x4, and I'd never built an RC truck from scratch, I really had no idea on transmissions, T-cases, driveshafts etc... I didn't want to buy let's say, a set of axles, then find out they are too wide or too narrow, or find out the T-case I bought was wrong for what I wanted, or the shocks were the wrong length, etc... so I stuck with the TRX-4.

Then I put a bid on a $10.00 Willys body I saw on Ebay, that was missing pieces. I ended up getting outbid at the last minute, but thought I would pay like 60 bucks for a complete one if I found one, so I kept looking. I found one still sealed in the package and put a max bid of 51.00.

I won it! (Of course with shipping and tax it was almost 75.00 but who's counting)

So I started planning out my build and doing more research. I really love the stance and look of Race730's builds, so that's what I decided to build. The problem is... this is going way over budget for me! If I look at RC4WD.com and get some prices, it looks like I'm going to need to spend about:
Tires 100
wheels 120
motor 10
trans ?
axles 140
T-case 50
shocks 60
links ?
rod ends 20
D-shafts 60
TX/RX 50
servo 35
esc 50

Those prices are approximate but that's like 700 bucks so far, and that doesn't include all the little stuff like servo horns, pigtails, link brackets, nuts and bolts, etc... that I'll need just to get it running. Then there's the beefy stuff I "should" get like skidplates, stronger servo horns, steel gears, heavy duty knuckles, etc...

I wish someone made a "kit" to convert a Hasbro style Willys to RC, or maybe even just a complete list of everything I need to do it. I have no problem doing the work, I just don't want to have to guess on which parts I need and have to get new stuff. I hate that! I can't drive a car due to an injury I had, so getting to a local hobby store is next to impossible for me, so it's online or nothing really.

It's tearing me apart not to open this Hasbro Willys up and look at it, but I know it's worth more still sealed in the original packaging also. Should I bite the bullet and build the Willys, or go the easy route and get a TRX-4?

I know in the end, it's up to me. I'm just venting and looking for ideas. I was hoping that just typing this out would help make up my mind, but no.... it hasn't.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Once you decide on the axles and transmission that you want to use, shop the classified ads for good condition used parts. ( for all of the parts ) That can help keep the spending under control. Steelie wheels are cheap and strong, there's always used tires for sale that. Keep in mind that you will need some really strong foams to support the weight of this rig.

I honestly believe that you could get all of the parts for a few hundred bucks with some careful shopping.

Use the search for an old member by the screen name of Metal Masher- he had a great documented thread for getting one of these jeeps built on the cheap. He also hand made a body for his Jeep, but the basic build of getting it running on the stock plastic chassis will be helpful for you.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Once you decide on the axles and transmission that you want to use, shop the classified ads for good condition used parts. ( for all of the parts ) That can help keep the spending under control. Steelie wheels are cheap and strong, there's always used tires for sale that. Keep in mind that you will need some really strong foams to support the weight of this rig.

I honestly believe that you could get all of the parts for a few hundred bucks with some careful shopping.

Use the search for an old member by the screen name of Metal Masher- he had a great documented thread for getting one of these jeeps built on the cheap. He also hand made a body for his Jeep, but the basic build of getting it running on the stock plastic chassis will be helpful for you.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find that thread and keep doing research. I still haven't opened up the Willys yet, but I'm leaning towards doing it!
Old 05-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

You got a good deal on that Willy's and you asked alot of good questions.

I dont use the plastic frame on my Willy's. My 1st one is on a GCM skeleton chassis with SCX10 axles and spacers, SCX10 tranny and brushless sys

My 2nd one i'm building is on GCM C Max chassis with D44 Wraith/AR60 Width axles, DCM tranny and will be brushless as well.

Good luck with the build
SirChirpAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

I still haven't started on it yet, but I think I've decided to go ahead and do a slow build on it. I'm unsure on what axles to use though...
I've heard people say to stay away from an axle with a spacer but it seems like many do use them with good results. I'd rather not but I want to get the right axles the first time.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I upgraded from plastic D60's to the metal D44's. I modified the front a little and added the mini spacers to the rear. Here's my build that may help some...check post #26.

1/6 1960's CJ-6
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #11
KMS
Rock Crawler

Not sure if it was mentioned, Most of used the 2002 Hasbro GI JOE Willy's jeep. It has a separate frame that bolts to the body easier to build to ..

RCP has some parts ready to go for your Willy's build
https://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?...age=1&featured

Last edited by KMS; 05-27-2019 at 09:13 PM.
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
KMS
Rock Crawler

Found this for you,,https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-HASBRO...oAAOSwU3Vc4Zuc
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Thanks, but I already have the Willys. It's in the first post.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I recommend to start with an Axial Wraith kit or Bomber kit. Build one of those kits, drive them around a lot and when you get board, take them apart and use the radio, esc, trans, motor, 2.2 wheels/tires, driveshafts and axles to build your Willys.

All those parts can be retrofit into the 1/6 willys.

Keep a watch on rcrecycle.com for axles and stuff. This site is always parting out rc crawlers. HPI Crawler King & Wheelie King - HPI

You will want to make your own links. There will be some adjustments necessary and DIY links can be done this way.
GraniteBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchthejeepguy View Post
I still haven't started on it yet, but I think I've decided to go ahead and do a slow build on it. I'm unsure on what axles to use though...
I've heard people say to stay away from an axle with a spacer but it seems like many do use them with good results. I'd rather not but I want to get the right axles the first time.
Just getting started, I'd say to try real hard to keep it simple and just get it rolling without getting involved in too many modifications which will derail your project and cause you to lose interest.

having said that ...

Here are your axle options:

scx10 with spacer in the rear and HPI Crawler King axle in the front
HPI Crawler King front and rear, but you will need the lock outs & longer shafts in the rear
Axial Wraith front and rear (the easiest option)

If you want the tires/wheels tucked in then keep an eye on ebay/rcreccycle for HPI Crawler King axles. You will need the lock outs from Locked up RC Lockouts - Wheely King Straight Axle Adapters You might need new longer axle shafts too.

RCPcrawlers sells all the hop up parts for the Crawler King axles. Wheely*King*::*RCP*Crawlers

Regarding the Crawler King axles, be advised. #1 the Wheely King axles come with open diffs. The Crawler King axles come with locked diffs. #2 the Wheely/Crawler King axles come with a 6mm pinion so you will need to drill out your driveshafts to fit on. It's doable but takes some patience. All the Axial driveshafts & axle pinions are 5mm.

Last edited by GraniteBandit; 06-30-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Here is one almost RTR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Scale-R....c100040.m2060
Old 01-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #17

I gleaned a lot of information from Race730s page by looking into his build archives (lots of pictures and explanations) and copying/recording all pertinent details down in a build log. Race730 also provided me with a list of all the things I'd need and where to get them. I'm still working on gathering some items, but yes, these can be an expensive and time consuming project.
411Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

1/6 Willys build questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh no, not another Willys build! Retrocosm Large Scale Rigs 18 01-17-2017 12:09 AM
Willys build-V8 truckbob Large Scale Rigs 27 02-12-2014 04:41 PM
1/6 willys build dfox Large Scale Rigs 5 11-20-2013 07:15 AM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
Willys Build Up!! swamped2a General Crawlers 7 11-23-2005 10:51 AM