Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Shinjari's Hasbro 1/6 Willy's Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Shinjari's Hasbro 1/6 Willy's Build

So I picked this up the other week on the classifieds. Here are some pics of it before I got it.

Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shinjari's Hasbro 1/6 Willy's Build

So I received it a few days later and began my tear down/inspection.

Initial Specs:
2001 Hasbro GI Joe Jeep
Stock SCX10 axles
SCX10 Tranny with DNA/BWD Dig unit
HPI Wheely King Tranny converted to t-case
Leaf suspension all around
GI Joe Driver
HPI 20T saturn motor
Tactic TSX200 generic servo
TRX 2.2 wheels with Axial Ripsaws in R35 compound

Current Specs:
SCX10 Axles with beef tubes and Wraith/XR10 steering mod
OD front UD rear gearing
SCX10 Tranny (16/87 gearing)
Front and Rear leaf springs
RC4WD Disruptor T-case 2.18:1
HH BRXL Esc
Tekin 55t HD Motor
Hitec 7950th steering servo
The Scale Shop 1.9 Chameleons SLW compatible
Proline TSL XL's

Future plans:
Reinforce chassis with aluminum
Cage/bumper etc.

I thought it was awesome that it had a complete leafed suspension but upon closer inspection this was not ideal with the steering or the size of tires. The front tires rubbed the front leafs after the slightest amount of turning and thats with 1/2" hub spacers and those weird TRX wheels (look like rustlers) with high offset.

Next thing I noticed was the funny looking transmission. Turns out the previous previous owner had installed a DNA/BWD Dig unit on this transmission...lot of good it does on a front mounted rig with transfer case lol. SO out came the DIG unit and IN went my new metal cased metal geared scx10 tranny I got from AxialJeepster.

At first I used the existing tranny mounting holes and had the motor facing the rear. Like this.

This was easy and no work on my behalf but then I thought "What if I need to change the spur gear or adjust the gear mesh on the trail? Man I'd have to take out the entire tranny just to do that....plus where am I putting the battery? Everyone puts in in the "firewall"...." So I reversed it and had it facing the opposite way and even installed a spur cover I had laying around.

The servo was in a decent spot so I left it there and began to figure out where to put my BRXL. Surprisingly it fits in the AE-2 cage/mount supplied with the wraith. I placed my esc in there and mounted it in the engine compartment. Everything is nice and clean and provides me ample space to make a firewall battery tray.

Next was the axles. I had a set of SC-XR10 axles that I had laying around which provided more width than stock axles without having to use those wideners and gave more steering (if I could figure out how to avoid rubbing).

Got rid of the leafs in front and installed a GCM 4 link and threw on some ICON scx10 shocks I recently got for another build. These won't stay on the rig as they are intended for my C1 build. I have a plain stock set laying around somewhere.

So now its a running rig. I drove it around a little and it has some decent speed considering the dual tranny setup. Got it geared 16/90 right now, but not sure if that 90 will stay in there but its what I had laying around lol.

Even played with the idea of running 1.9 Axial Trepadors because they scale out to a ~28" tire and are narrow just like a stock Willy's would have. PLUS i love the look of the Scale Shop Chameleon wheels on it...too bad they dont come in 2.2. Wish Tango Downs came in 2.2 also...want that vintage military look.

Some necessary flex shots.

The leaf's had some decent articulation and I'll probably keep them and run them for a while to see how they break in/perform. Maybe I'll need to add some shocks to the rear to dampen the ride but we will see.

Now to figure out the steering as I'd much rather have a panhard setup so I dont have to deal with all this bump steer I'm experiencing. I mean the front axle isn't going anywhere, but the steering setup is proving to be the most difficult obstacle so far on this build.

Also going to reinforce the chassis with aluminum

Last edited by Shinjari; 07-19-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well after talking to my buddy Prifral I was determined to go with the original 4 leaf suspension. Also I removed the WK tranny/t-case and replaced it with a RC4WD Disruptor 2.18:1 t-case. Man this rig just got REAL slow compared to before. With the WK t-case it was slightly faster than walking pace, now with the disruptor its AT or below a walking pace. May have to play with different spur/pinion ratio.

Also I decided to go with a more stock/military look. So I went with the new Proline TSL XLs on the scale shop chameleons which come out to a 28.5" tire which is perfect. I was able to get more steering despite the previous issue with the leaf suspension. May need to go with a 600 slw hub instead of the 475 just to get a hair more steering and avoid rubbing on leafs during full turn. Need to tear it down and reinforce the chassis with the aluminum I got but here's how it currently sits and looks. Not too shabby.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

Is that spare wheel on the back made of rubber? I think those are the ones I want to use for my JP Jeep build but I don't want to use them if they are plastic.
iMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMan View Post
Is that spare wheel on the back made of rubber? I think those are the ones I want to use for my JP Jeep build but I don't want to use them if they are plastic.
They are rubber but they are somewhat hard. Plus they dont really have much of a 'bead' so unless you plan on gluing them, somehow using the stock wheels or getting a custom set made I dont know how they'd be useful.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
They are rubber but they are somewhat hard. Plus they dont really have much of a 'bead' so unless you plan on gluing them, somehow using the stock wheels or getting a custom set made I dont know how they'd be useful.

Well I got to thinking and since the JP Jeep needs to have a lot of custom work done to it and it's mostly going to serve as a display piece anyway, it actually doesn't need to be functional. I do plan on custom making some wheels for them.

After the JP Jeep is done, I will make a proper Jeep crawler.
iMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Awww make it a functional shelf queen at least
Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I noticed the amount of steering you have and im sure its been mentioned but wouldn't wraith axels be better since they are wider? looks like a killer rig
DroopysGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Hey Droopy, I recall you from the SocalRC site. Yes and no. The steering issues I was having with the leafs were because of several things. The 2.2 wheels had terrible offset, the ripsaws are very wide, it was on scx10 axles + 12mm wideners and still didnt clear.

Now with my scx10+xr steering mod its nearly as wide as the stock axles + 12mm wideners. THEN the (475) SLW beadlocks gave me a much better offset AND the TSL's are narrower than the 2.2 ripsaws. I can get about 85% turn before I rub the leaf. I plan to try a 600/725 hub to see how that'll help, but I am trying to keep as much of the tire under the fender as possible too.

Lastly, I have these axles....dont have wraith axles lol. =)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

that's where I remember you from as well. ive been looking into the 1/6 gi joe jeep since I got into the crawling thing but ive always gotten distracted and did something else. seeing your rig and how its coming together and what parts your are using is making me want to start one even more....im still working on getting back into drifting too since a drift car on a trailer being towed behind a bad ass scaler would be cool
DroopysGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yeah this rig is surprisingly easy to modify and work on. Im loving it so far. Picked up my aluminum to reinforce the chassis just need to go to a buddies house to drill and tap it because I dont have a drill press and dont want to hand drill it because it'll und up crooked lol.

I'm liking the direction this rig is going. I just wanted a realistic stock looking WIlly's on a leaf suspension and I'm almost there! =) Want to add a basic roll bar so to not take away too much from the military look.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
RCC Addict

So this rig still exists. Hasn't had any mods to it until recently. I was getting tired of the axial axle housings, but they had provisions for my leaf springs to mount to.

I picked up some SSD D60 axles with the full intention of fabbing/3d printing a leaf spring mount since the SSDs don't have the truss mounting locations like the stock axials. Needless to say, I bought the SSDs when they launched and they have sat in my parts bin ever since.

Then I recently scored some of the new Ottsix TKO10 housings. These have the same truss mounting locations as the stock axials, look better and have the high pinion angle. So I began to tear down the Willys.

Built the rear axle first. It is pretty straight forward. Beeftubes, Axial HD UD gears on LURC FI spool, LURC axle shafts, LURC bearings, VP Lockouts (will be trading for black ones soon) and LURC scale hardware. The only snag was I had to remove the inner flange on the axles to fit within the beeftubes, and I'm not certain if this was the reason but one side of the locker/axle had some play in it and I had to shim it to keep it from moving. I tried both axles and regardless, that side needed to be shimmed. I did add a short servo post to act as a mount for a trackbar. The amount of torque this rig has, without the trackbar the leafs just want to bend funny directions and I can wrap the leafs if I am bound up good.

I then installed the new rear into the willys and it went in smoothly since the leaf mounts bolted in the right place.

I then proceeded to build the front axle. Also pretty straight forward to build. Narrow XR10 beef tubes, narrowed xr10 universals, set screw style locker, Axial HD OD gears, LURC bearings and scale hardware, VP wraith chubs and knuckles. This axle went together smoothly and bolted right up as well.

The only snag at the front was due to the high pinion angle, it interfered with my servo steering link which went behind the axle from the driver side to the passenger side. I ended up putting the servo link to the front and the steering link to the rear on spacers. Worked out great.

I also then proceeded to add M2 zinc scale hardware and beef patties to the TSS Chameleon wheels. Needless to say it really makes them look good. Just need to figure out a scale hub that would work. Just hard to get a tool in there.

Here are all the pics. Been planning on painting the rig to hide the bondo areas. Just really like the factory army green. Maybe I can just get some touch up and hide it. Also need to source some replacement shovel, gas can etc that was missing from the rig when I got it.

Last edited by Shinjari; 05-09-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I like the use of the leafs, excellent work!, and thanks for the detailed pics
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks! The only complaint is the leafs somewhat limit steering a little due to the location of the leafs on the front axle. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get them more inboard.

It does sound pretty scale though when the tires rub haha.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looking great Richard
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Voodoo TKO10 F9 diamond housings

Who makes these? I tried a webz search and kept coming up with links to Currie Enterprises. I'm pretty sure that they aren't involved with the scale market, although it would be cool to see what they'd come up with.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #17
RCC Addict

My bad bigski. Its should be OTTSIX tko10. Same company that makes the voodoo tires which is why i was confused. http://www.ottsix.com/#!tko-10-axle/jx064

Besides the high pinion and truss mount positions I also liked the fact that it has a slight offset pumpkin.

Last edited by Shinjari; 05-09-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

how did your C hubs fit the splined beef tubes? my axial C hubs don't fit
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaSS View Post
how did your C hubs fit the splined beef tubes? my axial C hubs don't fit
Thats because you're trying to use SCX10 Chubs. I have narrowed XR10 steering on this rig so it uses Wraith/XR10 chubs and knuckles with Narrowed XR10 universals.

The splined beef tubes will only work with XR10/wraith chubs/knuckles.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Thats because you're trying to use SCX10 Chubs. I have narrowed XR10 steering on this rig so it uses Wraith/XR10 chubs and knuckles with Narrowed XR10 universals.

The splined beef tubes will only work with XR10/wraith chubs/knuckles.
Yeah, I have Wraith C-hubs and knuckle I bought for my
wraith axles aka AR60s. But thanks anyway. maybe I gotta deburr the tubes or something
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Shinjari's Hasbro 1/6 Willy's Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Willy's truggy build kenworthit 2.2 Scale Rigs 68 01-13-2014 10:44 PM
willy's build by warriorsimi warriorsimi Large Scale Rigs 0 10-31-2012 12:43 PM
motorman's willy's build motorman1600 Large Scale Rigs 11 09-19-2011 04:37 PM
Scale Willy's build up badger General Crawlers 37 03-09-2011 08:47 AM