Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: yeti based raptor build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: yeti based raptor build

i got to making the ftont bumper it dosent mount to the body any more it mounts to the chassie in 3 places so hopefully the body wont take any more damage

Last edited by ferp420; 09-26-2019 at 08:44 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

heres the video of the run
https://youtu.be/wjTLR25fHZY

since this video ive upgraded the motor and esc i pulled my set up out of the yeti xl for a bit more power the new 4s batterys should be here tomarow and ill go get some more video and probably eat some gears lol

Last edited by ferp420; 10-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

i swaped out the electronics for some more speed and power and went to 4s then took it out for some test jumps

https://youtu.be/l75SLnOEn5k
Old 02-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

i was playin with this rig a bit i decided to leave the red i used some fake red carbon fiber for the hood it dident come out to good but will work for now and the red sharpie fixes the scratches pretty good i painted the parts black that were saposed to be black and i decided the redcat gen8 wheels and tires would be perfict for this rig so there on it now and seem to work good the matching spare is a nice touch too i might have to add some weight to the weight box to get it to fly nice and leval and its new powerplant is in th3 novak hd8 with a cheap chinese esc seems to be working im gona swap it out for a sensered unit someday hopefully another mmx but for now its working
i had to reinforce the rear bedsides cause they were starting to crack i used some sheetmetal on the inside and out and sandwiched the back end to add some stiffn3ss and keep it from getting worse so far it seems good
this is turning out to be a realy nice trail truck that vary closely resembles the first race raptor that they ran in baja so im realy stoked on it
anyway heres the good stuff

i think i over did the front grill i think the ford lettering is saposed to be red too but ohwell it is what it is

heres the butt shot the metal strip is installed theres another strip under the bed too i would like to make some 45° braces for the bed side oh well maybe later

Last edited by ferp420; 02-23-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, vids look like it is pretty dialed in. Where in cali you at?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Looks great, vids look like it is pretty dialed in. Where in cali you at?
thank you im realy enjoying it i dident do alot of tuning to the suspention its as if they were made for each other and the handleing is realy good in my opinion and the ballance came out real good too im just stoked on it

im out in johnson valley home of rock racing and world class rock crawling with some sand and sand dunes thrown in the mix

Last edited by ferp420; 04-27-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Nice work! Great to see some more Raptors on here. When I built mine somebody intelligent told me to use a Yeti as a base which I really should have listened to.

What was making the bedsides crack?
Raptorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorn View Post
Nice work! Great to see some more Raptors on here. When I built mine somebody intelligent told me to use a Yeti as a base which I really should have listened to.

What was making the bedsides crack?

thanks yo the bed sides were cracking mostly cause i beat the snot out of it landing square on the bed from 5-6 feet of air and i cut alot of the bed out to get the shocks and sway bar in there and and on top of that its heavy with the giant hd8 motor and 2 2s 5000mah batterys and it still gets up and moves
Old 07-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
thanks yo the bed sides were cracking mostly cause i beat the snot out of it
I break small pieces off my body shell by touching it wrong so I was worried the beds would crack from vibration or their own weight. My truck hasn't been running long enough for that to happen
Raptorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorn View Post
I break small pieces off my body shell by touching it wrong so I was worried the beds would crack from vibration or their own weight. My truck hasn't been running long enough for that to happen
mine seems pretty solid but i have a extra body when the time comes

i hit a tree at full speed it distroyed the bumper and i know the body took a hit too but its fine the bumper however needs alot of work

i guess the overboard bracing payed off not one of the mounting points failed and no damage to the undercarage

there are a few different types of plastic used on these rigs some a hard and ridgid and some are more rubber like and flex alot before they crack
Old 08-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

i got this rig up and running i upgraded the esc to a mmx so i can run it sensored not that it realy needs it

i went out for a test run and i must have forgot how to drive it was just one big crash after another and the body broke were the cab meets the bed so i think its body swap time
i also ate the gears in the front i havent got to open it up just yet but its another issue i need to fix
one idea i had was to do a cab only build i kinda scratched that idea for keeping the spare body as a back up but seeing how this one broke its got the juices flowing
ive got this aftermarket traxxass build im about 3/4 of the way done with and i dont have a body for it yet so i did some test fitting it looks like it will work the trx 4 axles seem to fit nicely under the body and the gearing should work out nicely for a crawler and ive got a cheap 1450kv outrunner ready to go only thing is i already bought 1.9 wheels and tires for the trx4 and they wouldent work on the cab crawler

all this has.tought me 1 thing the rear bumper must be attached to the frame also i dident exspect it to be taking realy hard hits on the rear but it took a beating on this run

Last edited by ferp420; 08-21-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

pics yay

Old 09-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

so i figured it would be easyer to build.the new body than to fix the old one but im making some changes to take some of the stress off the body first im mounting the yeti rear cage to the chassie that takes the shock load of the body and the back bumper.dosent realy have any suport it just bolts to the body aswell so im gona change that to
im hoping those changes will save the body

and the new diff is in i just need to replace the long screws that hold the diff housing in the old ones striped out then it will be ready to go again lol
im gona try the black carbon fiber wrap on the hood this time too to break up the red its just a bit too red
Old 09-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I suspended mine using piano wire and the traxxas battery hold down "screws ". Gives it "give" and more if it bends. Can be bent back on the spot.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I suspended mine using piano wire and the traxxas battery hold down "screws ". Gives it "give" and more if it bends. Can be bent back on the spot.
that sounds kinda interesting do you have a pic im planing to solid mount this body again but the body im taking off the cab anyway will be going on a trx4 chassie and im trying to find a good way to mount it
Old 10-19-2021, 07:41 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

another dang photo dump sorry but they have to go somewere

yeti based raptor build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raptor Yeti mikemcE Axial Yeti 21 11-25-2019 12:11 PM
yeti Xl XMaxx raptor body DOWNHILLADDICTIONS Axial Yeti XL 4 07-04-2019 06:01 AM
Ford yeti raptor or VW baja? twisted Traxxas TRX-4 3 10-14-2017 03:36 AM