Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Help me find a large scale kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help me find a large scale kit

So I've got a TRX-4 right now and it's fun and all, but for some reason I'm drawn to the larger scale stuff.

What kits are out there (I would prefer to build) that you would recommend? I like the looks of the Yeti XL.

Basically what would be your top choices, I don't really know what's out there? Thanks!
toys222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help me find a large scale kit

The YXL has a handful of headaches to work through (look through Barharborbasher's posts here to get aquainted and see fixes.) It's just not a well supported platform, especially since its been discontinued. A Super Rock Rey is similar enough, built better, and has better parts support... but it's not sold as a kit, still seems like a deal in this category at $800 rtr. I'd personally go for a Super Baja Rey ($700rtr or $600 BND) It's built on the same platform as the Super Rock Rey but it handles better, and IMO, looks better. Either version has proven surprisingly durable, even under "drive it like you stole it" conditions, and the aftermarket support for the "Super" versions seems like it's better than it is for their 1/10 scale counterparts.

If you really want large scale, check out the Kraken Vekta 5 Levi Shirley edition kit: https://www.krakenrc.com/vekta5LSE/ the price may be offputting, but I'd wager that it would end up the same price/cheaper than a YXL once all is said and done. If gas powered isn't your thing, they can be converted to electric: WheelMan Designz Electric Conversion Kit for the Kraken Vekta.5 I'd expect to be a solid $2k+ into an electric Vekta.5

As cool as large scale cars are, they're only fun if you've got a place to run them. Be sure to take that into account before you drop the coin on something. I've got an HPI 5b (pretty close in size to a friends Super Baja Rey) and only run it once every few months when we go to the dunes or desert since most of our regular/local bashing spots are just too small to open 'er up.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the great info @TheLetterJ !

It did seem like the YXL was discontinued - so I definitely don't want to bother with it!

I really do like the Baja and Rock Rey options. Guess you could throw the Traxxas UDR in there as well.

Oh that Kraken is amazing!!! I would LOVE to build that kit! Thanks for the heads up!

RC is such a rabbit hole and I agree about needing space to run them. That's one of the reasons I wanted an electric crawler, so I could putz around in the backyard and not disturb the neighbors.

I'll need to put some serious thought into my next purchase. I thought the TRX-4 would hold me, but I'm starting to feel myself losing interest. We will see!
Old 11-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Most of the time, it's a build it yourself deal. This is on Wraith/AR60 axles. Lots of big bodies floating around, the rest is usually custom.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok after looking at what's out there and what seems to be popular and supported I'm just loving the Losi Super Rock Rey. Bummer it's not a kit, but maybe simple upgrades and maintenance can scratch my itch for wrench turning.

Now I need to figure out how to convince the wife I need this!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys222 View Post
So I've got a TRX-4 right now and it's fun and all, but for some reason I'm drawn to the larger scale stuff.

What kits are out there (I would prefer to build) that you would recommend? I like the looks of the Yeti XL.

Basically what would be your top choices, I don't really know what's out there? Thanks!
if you want a bigger crawler look into the cragsman 1/8 scale.
NorthwestCrawler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i too have a itch for the larger scale rigs and i love my yeti xl but it is a problem child
i have a few of the dodge bodied rigs like the one pictured above not nearly as nice looking though but there custom built
i also have the newbright raptor on a streached 1/10th scale yeti and it kicks but the longer wheelbase realy helps the performance of that rig i also have the newbright f150 its big and vary heavy all custom built then there the nylint 1/5th scale heep im building right now also a 1/6 scale mini cooper crawler built from a barbie car its probably the closest to a.standered scx10 size of the bunch even being 1/6 scale its still a mini cooper
the only large scale kit i know of is the 1/6 scale suzuki samerui made by capo

and the bigger go fast rigs defintly need a bigger area to run them on but the crawlers having standered 1/10 scale parts arent any more capable than the smaller 1/10 scale 2.2 rigs but i enjoy them more and i feel there easyer to work on as stuffs just a tad bigger

Last edited by ferp420; 01-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me find a large scale kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check out this find, large scale gas RC boat engineerjoe Non Crawler RC's 25 09-28-2014 06:53 AM
MadDogRC - Large Scale Winch Upgrade Kit *NEW* Mad4Rnr Scale parts 3 12-28-2012 03:37 AM
MadDogRC - Large Scale Hawse Fairlead Kit *NEW* Mad4Rnr Scale parts 1 08-05-2012 09:41 AM
Where can i find 5 large light buckets for the wraith? burtonkidd Axial Wraith 5 11-14-2011 02:16 AM