RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Large Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Links for a Large Scale Rig (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/614369-links-large-scale-rig.html)

AK KRAWLER 01-02-2020 01:29 AM

Links for a Large Scale Rig

Looking for some opinions, dangerous I know..., on building links for a 1/6 scale sized rig.

I plan to use the Losi LOSB4020 Rod Ends, but am undecided on the actual link material.

Two choices I thought of so far; 5/16” Brass Rod, or 5/16” 316 SS Tube (316 SS 0.065” Swagelok Tubing)

What say you?

Mike Flea 01-02-2020 05:58 PM

Re: Links for a Large Scale Rig

I have a 1/6 Hasbro Jeep (1960's), I used Traxxas 106mm links for the rear, and 102mm Traxxas links for the front. Short link ends front & rear. Wheelbase is 14 1/2 inches. Here's the build if you want to check it out: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large...roject-me.html

AK KRAWLER 01-02-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 5987480)
I have a 1/6 Hasbro Jeep (1960's), I used Traxxas 106mm links for the rear, and 102mm Traxxas links for the front. Short link ends front & rear. Wheelbase is 14 1/2 inches. Here's the build if you want to check it out: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large...roject-me.html

Thanks Mike, awesome read. That Jeep turned out pretty cool! "thumbsup"

I am hoping to get my wheelbase out to the 18" to 20" mark and use something like an X-Maxx body, or whatever else I can find.

Looks like I was probably over thinking it a bit in regards to the links ability to hold up.

Mike Flea 01-02-2020 07:01 PM

Thanks, I left you some more links to other builds in the Large Scale section on multi-motors & transmissions

xjman 01-02-2020 07:24 PM

I would try and get something steel personally, stainless, maybe titanium if you have money to burn. Another option is using all thread and finding tubing that will fit over the all thread like a sheathe. This will allow you to replace the outer tube as it gets beat on rocks. I would try and match the OD of the link with the rod ends so you don't have hooks to catch on everything. Plus if the rod end pushes up against a shoulder it will be a little stronger.

AK KRAWLER 01-02-2020 07:56 PM

Ok, I think I came up with the combination I am going to use.

Losi LOSB4020 Rod Ends
10-32 Threaded Rod (Which is 0.190 O.D.)
3/8" 0.083" WT Stainless Tube (Which is 0.209" I.D.) Then bevel the edge of the tube if needed too match the O.D. of the Rod Ends

I have ordered the Rod Ends and I think I have a local supplier for the Threaded Rod and SS Tubing.

AK KRAWLER 03-23-2020 04:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just an update - I built the links.

I made the links using thick walled SS tubing, SS threaded rod and Traxxas rod ends, they turned out pretty nice, I still need to taper the the tube ends on the rear links to match the diameter of the rod ends.
Also, due to the length of the motor I used, I had to raise the transmission/motor assembly to make room for the rear upper links to articulate.

Body mock-up
Attachment 387964

Front links
Attachment 387965

Rear links
Attachment 387968

Transmission/motor mount lift
Attachment 387969

Gula 03-23-2020 10:18 PM

Nice rig, where on earth did you find 3.2 rc4wd rock crushers?
Another option for links are the same rod ends LOSI LST, or the ones from traxxas with m4x25mm grub screws and some 3/8 lexan tubing from McMaster-carr would do the trick too!

AK KRAWLER 03-23-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gula (Post 6007011)
Nice rig, where on earth did you find 3.2 rc4wd rock crushers?

Thanks man!!! Friends in low, low places... :lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gula (Post 6007011)
Another option for links are the same rod ends LOSI LST, or the ones from traxxas with m4x25mm grub screws and some 3/8 lexan tubing from McMaster-carr would do the trick too!

I never would have thought of lexan tubing, sounds pretty sweet.

NikeBelli 05-10-2020 12:45 AM

At the Large Scale Turbine Rig (LSTR) at Technische Universitšat Darmstadt the influence of combustor swirl on the flow and turbulence field at the combustor-turbine-interface is investigated. The rig resembles a high pressure turbine and is scaled to low Mach numbers. A representative lean combustor flow field is modelled by swirl generators with variable clocking positions relative to the nozzle guide vane (NGV) leading edge. Two clocking positions are investigated using hot-wire anemometry measurements with split-fibre probes up- and downstream of the NGVs. An algorithm to correct for velocity components tangential to the SF probes is developed. The highly three-dimensional turbulent flow field is investigated and a characteristic vortex core as well as a shear zone between swirlers are identified. Turbulence intensities at the turbine inlet are at 25% on average, but peak at 45 %. Depending on the clocking position, the mass flow distribution between NGV passages may vary by 7 percentage points for leading edge clocking. Both turbulence intensity as well as turbulence time scales decrease throughout the NGV on average by a factor of seven, whereas length scales decrease by one third. The turbulence is mainly isotropic at the combustor-turbine interface with the NGV being able to further decrease any anisotropies propagating to the rotor.

BigSki 05-10-2020 12:46 PM

I used 3/16 mild steel and tapped for M4 on the ends for stock Traxxas Revo rod ends on my Jeep. The rods are as old as the original build, they have some rock scars but have never bent. The rod ends seem to last at least 2 years before just being ground down to the point that the ball ends pull through.

It's a really cheap and durable way to go and the rod ends are easy to find. "thumbsup"