Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: heavy rig esc/motor combo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default heavy rig esc/motor combo questions

hi guys im in the need of some advice im building a late 80s dakar style truck in 1/10 scale and its going to be quiet heavy 2x cell lipos /summit trans 2.2 rims and 5.5inch rock crusher tires and 3 spares on the rear steel cage and chassis and fiberglass panels and cab, and revo diffs and steering knuckles in custom steel housings. So my question would be can any one recommend a budget friendly motor and esc brushed or brushless setups and i would like to use a 1/5 scale servo for steering so any help would be great.
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: heavy rig esc/motor combo questions

do you want it to crawl or to hauln if you want both then your screwed no budget option to do both
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

probably looking for a around 30 to 35mph in the high speed gear and if i can get it as fast as a summit on 4s should be enough
Old 02-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
probably looking for a around 30 to 35mph in the high speed gear and if i can get it as fast as a summit on 4s should be enough
ya thats alot of speed i would look in to 775 sized motors like a xmaxx motor or maybe a dewalt drill motor

i have a been using mubatchi and johnson brand motors but the max output is around 20k rpm and 22k rpms so these wont give you the speed your looking for

ive been running the dirt cheap chinnese new rain 480 esc its a 80 amp 4s capable esc with no frills the only settings are for drag break or no drag break but they have been pushing my 775s for years now with no failures yet

your best bet is to go brushless if you want to crawl at all go sensored but this set up wont be cheap a good esc costs around $150 and up and the motors are in the same range so budget is out the window but in my opinnion thats the only way to get the speed your looking for my yeti xl runs a sensorless 1515 castle motor and a mamba monster x it wont have any problem hitting 60mph in a 15-20lb rig

you could gamble on used electronics a x-maxx or yeti xl take out would do it there both large heavy rigs so they should push you around pretty quickly

speed costs money and the faster you go the more it will cost you my
Old 02-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #5

I can't wait to see a large assed solid axle (3 axles?) top heavy beast of a truck try to do 35mph. First crash should provide a spectacular scattering of parts.

As for electronics, I'd look at 1/8 scale 40mm or 42mm diameter brushless motors. Paired with a decent ESC and the 4S battery that you mentioned, the speeds you're after should be no problem as long as you can gear up enough.

4S high current ESCs are hard to find under the "budget friendly" umbrella, but then again, nothing is budget friendly with the sizes and weights you're dealing with. I'd suggest a Mamba Monster X ESC and something like this Hobbystar sensored 4268 motor in 2400kv:
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/br...1-8-buggy.html
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I can't wait to see a large assed solid axle (3 axles?) top heavy beast of a truck try to do 35mph. First crash should provide a spectacular scattering of parts.

As for electronics, I'd look at 1/8 scale 40mm or 42mm diameter brushless motors. Paired with a decent ESC and the 4S battery that you mentioned, the speeds you're after should be no problem as long as you can gear up enough.

4S high current ESCs are hard to find under the "budget friendly" umbrella, but then again, nothing is budget friendly with the sizes and weights you're dealing with. I'd suggest a Mamba Monster X ESC and something like this Hobbystar sensored 4268 motor in 2400kv:
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/br...1-8-buggy.html
thanks for the reply but I'm hoping i don't crash it much when its finished would be a shame after all my hard work but only two axles sorry its a reproduction of the 88 daf x1 turbo twin, loved watching the dakar racing when i was younger and it stood out to me and i'm actually trying to keep the weight/cog as low as possible,the cab and side panels will be the last thing i get to outside of the electronics ive got two trays for the batteries that hang as low as possible in the design all ready but haven't got a clue about the electronics so ill need all the help i can get
Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ya thats alot of speed i would look in to 775 sized motors like a xmaxx motor or maybe a dewalt drill motor

i have a been using mubatchi and johnson brand motors but the max output is around 20k rpm and 22k rpms so these wont give you the speed your looking for

ive been running the dirt cheap chinnese new rain 480 esc its a 80 amp 4s capable esc with no frills the only settings are for drag break or no drag break but they have been pushing my 775s for years now with no failures yet

your best bet is to go brushless if you want to crawl at all go sensored but this set up wont be cheap a good esc costs around $150 and up and the motors are in the same range so budget is out the window but in my opinnion thats the only way to get the speed your looking for my yeti xl runs a sensorless 1515 castle motor and a mamba monster x it wont have any problem hitting 60mph in a 15-20lb rig

you could gamble on used electronics a x-maxx or yeti xl take out would do it there both large heavy rigs so they should push you around pretty quickly

speed costs money and the faster you go the more it will cost you my
thanks for the input maybe im stretching the speed requirements a little but if it can trundle around quick enough and get a little air i might be happy enough, just want something reliable with the weight it wont be going flat out for long anyways will probably tip over first
Old 02-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks for the input maybe im stretching the speed requirements a little but if it can trundle around quick enough and get a little air i might be happy enough, just want something reliable with the weight it wont be going flat out for long anyways will probably tip over first
i have alot of big heavy 1/8 scale rigs love them ive had some spectaculer um crashes lol rigs servive

i ebayed a traxxass esc new take out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142853380570

and the 775 motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401908571785
that should be plenty fast and if you have a 2 speed you should be able to run it slow and maybe crawl with it but it sounds like you want to go faster than slower you might be able to do better than that there still not cheap but way cheaper than a brushless system
brusless new take outs not to bad
yeti xl rtr esc take out http://www.ebay.com/itm/371548249258
new rtr motor take out http://www.ebay.com/itm/331771231311

used setups will be cheaper

Last edited by ferp420; 02-25-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks again would i be correct in saying that the axial vanguard is made by castle creations? looks very similar.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have built several heavy rigs. Key is go brushless with a kv under 2000, 4s and a good esc like a Holmes BLE Pro. And correct transmission gearing.

This is 19lbs and will crawl or hit the U4 track.

Szczerba's 3rd CXT, Build #57

See post #158 too.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks again would i be correct in saying that the axial vanguard is made by castle creations? looks very similar.
th3 vangard motor is a castle 1515 2200 kv motor and the esc is a detuned castle sidwinder 1/8th it dosent have the programing that the castle branded sidwinder but it still works with the castle link just dosent have all the same options if you can find a mamba moster 2 or momba monster x or even a sidwinder 1/8 there better escs but the vanagard esc is still a solid unit
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I have built several heavy rigs. Key is go brushless with a kv under 2000, 4s and a good esc like a Holmes BLE Pro. And correct transmission gearing.

This is 19lbs and will crawl or hit the U4 track.

Szczerba's 3rd CXT, Build #57

See post #158 too.

thanks just checked it out, it goes quiet well for a big truck and quiet stable too bye the looks of it is it single speed?
Old 02-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks just checked it out, it goes quiet well for a big truck and quiet stable too bye the looks of it is it single speed?
Yes, single, all metal SCX10 transmission. This one just a different color motor plate. I have run these transmissions in all of my big CXT build, I have built 5.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotscp38st05.htm

Same motor/transmission/voltage on the tow rig too. This has a BLE Pro ESC. Truck and trailer are like 34lbs alone.

Szczerba's 4th CXT, Build #58

Last edited by Szczerba; 02-25-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

that's very impressive pulling power. may i ask whats the best top speed you have achieved with that motor combo.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
that's very impressive pulling power. may i ask whats the best top speed you have achieved with that motor combo.
Not sure, have never changed up the pinion or spur gearing. How they are geared now is perfect for each rig.

I built this Dakar style CXT that is faster. Rear sway bar built in. Eddie from CI bought it and then I dropped in an RC4WD 2 speed transmission. Gets up pretty good with the same motor and 4s. It's 18lbs. Videos towards the end.

Szczerba's Second CXT Build
Old 02-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

that looks perfect by the looks of it ill get some cash squared away now that i no what to expect thanks for the help guys

Last edited by steven318is; 02-27-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

tbe yeti xl system is rated for 15lbs and hits speeds of over 55mph reliably the mambes monster line of escs is slightly higher than the sidewinder used in the rtr
the 540 sized motor on a heavy rig will over heat
a sensored system will shut down if it gets too hot usualy were as a nonsensered set up will cook it self
if your not flyin around all the time and just want a high burst speed with just moderate speeds most of the time a 540 motor might be ok but you would have to keep a eye on the temps and or run a senseored set up to protect it

also ive herd realy good things about outrunner brushless motors extremely high torque and handle high voltage realy well and there alot cheaper than a sensored 1/8 scale motor

you should talk to holmes hobbies he might save you some money and some trouble he dose make these items and sells them for a living
Old 02-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Holmes has been great for answering questions and pointing me in the right direction, even if I wasn’t buying from him.

I have a few Holmes motors, but for my current larger scale build, I mated a Hobbystar motor to a Summit transmission, being controlled by a Mamba X ESC. Hoping for the best,but will probably drop a Holmes motor in there if I’m not happy with the performance of the Hobbystar setup.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: heavy rig esc/motor combo 1/4 servo questions

little update guys decided to shed some weight and make the chassis from aluminium instead had to redesign the whole thing too. so my next question is id like to use 1/4 scale servo for steering what would i need to get it to work with the suggested electronics

heavy rig esc/motor combo questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help needed heavy rig motor/esc questions steven318is Electronics 8 04-13-2020 06:12 AM
ESC for a heavy rig. Old-N-Grey Electronics 16 02-06-2020 02:08 PM
tatra 8x8 motor esc combo questions pajomad Electronics 8 12-06-2013 10:31 PM