RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Large Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/)
-   -   SCX6 Servo Options and Installs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/630172-scx6-servo-options-installs.html)

UZI4U 10-03-2022 12:00 PM

SCX6 Servo Options and Installs....NSDRC

What Servo is everyone running in the SCX6 Jeep/Honcho? Got any pics of your install? I am looking to upgrade mine from the SAVOX 0236MG

Servos that I am aware of:
ShiftRCs X5
NSDRC 2500
Reefs Beast 1000, 2000
Promodeler 1/5 scale servos
Savox 1/5 Servos
Hitec 1/5 Servo
AGFRC 100KG High-Torque Servo

What other Servos am I missing? Amazon? Another Brand?

HumboldtEF 10-03-2022 06:50 PM

Re: SCX6 Servo Options and Installs

I believe Reefs has changed the servo horn since I put this up.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large...o-install.html

If I were to do it again I'd go for the NSDRC cheaper and more torque, it wasn't around when I did mine.

UZI4U 10-04-2022 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6123578)
I believe Reefs has changed the servo horn since I put this up.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large...o-install.html

If I were to do it again I'd go for the NSDRC cheaper and more torque, it wasn't around when I did mine.

Thank you! Just looking at all the options. Great post!

UZI4U 10-07-2022 08:12 AM

Looks like the new NSDRC 2500 V2 is both fast and has high torque. I think that may be the way to go on a higher end servo.

UZI4U 10-24-2022 07:46 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e512bff97e.jpg
Got the V2, in-line battery adapter and servo horn. Servo horn is setup for the M4 screw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

high plains drifter 10-24-2022 08:54 AM

M4? Wow! Looks like an absolute beast.

Nothing to add but I love seeing pics of new servos. It's like Christmas morning every time I get a new servo in the mail lol.

- Might even be a cool thread, I dunno... "NSD"

nismotuningrocks 10-25-2022 01:39 PM

I have tried the AGFRC, NSDRC V1 and the Shift Rcs X5 and the Shifts was the best by a large margin. I am not a team driver or affiliated with any of the vendors.

UZI4U 10-26-2022 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismotuningrocks (Post 6125278)
I have tried the AGFRC, NSDRC V1 and the Shift Rcs X5 and the Shifts was the best by a large margin. I am not a team driver or affiliated with any of the vendors.

You might like the NSDRC V2, it's nice and fast and strong on the rocks!

nismotuningrocks 10-26-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UZI4U (Post 6125336)
You might like the NSDRC V2, it's nice and fast and strong on the rocks!

I would hope so, I didn't like my V1 at all, it was a major slouch.

UZI4U 10-29-2022 01:48 PM

Re: SCX6 Servo Options and Installs....NSDRC

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d29132a388.jpg
Easy install!

AK KRAWLER 11-20-2022 02:33 PM

Man, that thing is a beast for sure. How is it performing?

I know it must go with the territory, but it would be a hard pill to swallow to spend $250-$500 to upgrade the servo. :shock:

At the price point of the rig, it would be nice if they installed a better servo from the start, but I guess we always say that about the RTR servos :lmao:

chilly 11-20-2022 05:14 PM

I just put in an amazon cheap one - Power HD WH-80KG that was $80. I saw a couple people had been using it with some success. Also I personally have like 12-15 hours on the stock server and it's still working OK off a 7.2V BEC. So maybe I'm easy on servos, idk... I constantly crawl technical rocks, but I don't tend to force things when they get bound up... throttle or steering.

This one is much stronger and is running off 8.4V BEC. It will move the truck side to side easily and never seems to bog down like the stock would (even on BEC). I don't play 'wiggle the servo" games you see people doing in comps, so I don't know or care about rates.

Anyway quite pleased with it on initial 3hr day, now the clock starts to see how durable it is. And I carry the stock one as a spare in case it dies on the trail. Fits in the Honcho's rear toolbox lol.

AK KRAWLER 11-20-2022 07:34 PM

Thanks chilly, good info.

I have had good luck with the cheaper Amazon servo's for the 1/10th scale stuff and suspect the bigger ones would do fine.
And I am also okay with the fact that they are slower. I am generally just crawling around with my kids.

It will be good to see your thoughts in the months/years to come.

Fricker08 11-20-2022 11:52 PM

I’ve got that 80kg servo in my cart.. I’ve got a new bec laying on the bench already also. Curious to see how it holds up, but the specs sound pretty good and considering I can buy 3 of these to most the other name brand servos.. I think I’ll take a chance. Not saying the others aren’t worth it because I’m sure they most definitely are, but I think there’s a time and place like everything.

chilly 11-21-2022 07:10 AM

Agreed, the high and servos I’m sure are much better and cost a lot for very legitimate reasons… real production costs, innovation, small sales volume, etc. I don’t think they’re trying to rip us off or anything. And I know the Chinese ones blatantly misrepresent specs and are disposable (are the fancy ones rebuildable?)

I just don’t feel the need one so massive. Honestly, the stock one after adding the BEC was working out pretty good for me. Only a few situations where I could’ve used a little more torque. I wouldn’t even have replaced it except for all the horrible failure reports I didn’t want to get stuck on the trail. So I replaced it before it died so I can keep it as a spare.

But I’m the same with motors and ESC’s. To me, this thing has more power than I could ever need stock and seems to have great low speed control to me. Why would you spend money upgrading it? It probably has enough torque to break an axle or strip gears if you wedge a wheel into a gap and force it, and It goes faster than the suspension and geometry is designed to function effectively on (in bumps) and it’s not gonna jump for crap. Same reasons I don’t crawl with my 6s Arrma EXB.

I even drive a Volkswagen GTI on the street. Would I rather have a skyline GTR, sure. But I don’t track it and so much of that is just wasted on the street. The GTI is the perfect streetcar imho and is less than a quarter of the price. Then I have so much money left to blow on $1100 RC cars!

UZI4U 11-21-2022 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER (Post 6127183)
Man, that thing is a beast for sure. How is it performing?

I know it must go with the territory, but it would be a hard pill to swallow to spend $250-$500 to upgrade the servo. :shock:

At the price point of the rig, it would be nice if they installed a better servo from the start, but I guess we always say that about the RTR servos :lmao:

So far so good. I had a friend print off the adapter to mount the rear battery tray up front and I got some 4S 1500mah batteries to run the Servo off of. It's a beast of a servo and It takes anything with ease. Yes it was a hard pill to swallow. I got my SCX6 used and it came with a SAVOX servo in it that was better than stock but I wanted at least 1,000oz.'s out of the servo b/c my rig has Vitavon axles and it weighs more than 30 pounds. I wanted something that would be good for the truck and at 2500oz. I could not be happier.

AK KRAWLER 11-23-2022 11:01 PM

Sounds like it’s a beast for sure, glad it’s working well for you.

UZI4U 02-09-2023 02:21 PM

UPDATE: Took the 6 out for a quick crawl with my son on some rocky terrain and the stock panhard lasted 5 minutes until it snapped. Vitavon replacements have been ordered. Might get the GPM rod ends next!

Lashlee 02-10-2023 02:58 AM

I put one of the NSDRC servos in mine, along with the Bowhouse RC panhard reinforcement pieces. So far so good. One thing I noticed on mine is the stock radio lacks endpoint adjustment which allows the servo to push on the panhard. I guess i'll be getting another receiver soon to pair with my 7pxr that I use for the rest of my rigs.

UZI4U 02-10-2023 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lashlee (Post 6132300)
I put one of the NSDRC servos in mine, along with the Bowhouse RC panhard reinforcement pieces. So far so good. One thing I noticed on mine is the stock radio lacks endpoint adjustment which allows the servo to push on the panhard. I guess i'll be getting another receiver soon to pair with my 7pxr that I use for the rest of my rigs.

There's a YouTube video that shows you how to program the endpoints so that doesn't happen. I had to do it with the stock radio when I installed this servo. It can be done without replacing the radio setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNqu0LooD8