Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Fricker08 joins the 25lb fun party

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08 joins the 25lb fun party

Well I’m no stranger to bigger is definitely better when it comes to RC’s. My old man and myself raced 1/5 scale HPI Baja’s over 10 years ago and that was the most fun I’ve ever had racing.
So when axial dropped the scx6 it immediately peaked my interest. I passed on a lot of decent deals, ultimately waiting for the right deal to come along. Low and behold that opportunity presented itself on Saturday.
I had bought a 2nd rc speedy c2 chassis back in February when he announced they would be discontinued. But after that he produced a literal Sh*t ton more. Making my purchase not very fruitful. Anyways fast forward to last weekend when a local guy asked if anyone wanted to trade an scx6 for a speedy c3, and after a few messages back n forth we agreed on the deal.
It’s a JLU which I was hoping to get into a honcho when they were released but this will still suffice.
It’s basically stock with some vitavon chassis braces. My plans are to eventually swap out the wheels, get it programmed to my dx5c and go from there.
Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I’ll try to keep this updated as I go along.
I also noticed what looks like grease coming out the bottom of the transmission. I figured I’d go in and service it and the diffs. Are you guys still using marine grease on these? Or should I step up to something thicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fricker08 joins the 25lb fun party

I know for a fact you’ve already bought parts for this rig…

Curious to see wth is leaking out of the trans… could just be grease I guess?

twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

I don't have one of these behemoths and don't know if I'll ever get the chance to own one, but I'm following along to see what all you have in store for it.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The leaking grease is fairly normal. The grease they've use is incredibly hard to clean off so I would recommend just wiping it down but not opening the tranny.

I've thrown out some tips in a few other threads in this section: SCX6 Beast 2000 Servo install

SCX6 usefull mods/free mods and 3D prints

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-15-2022 at 07:44 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I know for a fact you’ve already bought parts for this rig…
Who have you been talking to!? Haha
He’s right though.. I stopped by my lhs last night looking for an ecto and the proline wheel faces caught my eye.
Well I happened to trip and fall into the lhs on my way home from work again today to order that ecto and the wheel faces were in my truck when I left.
I was eyeballing the honcho they have on the shelf.. contemplated trying to sell this one and make up the difference but I’ll let it ride for now.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:33 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Regarding the size, something tells me that pictures will never do this thing justice. Congrats on the behemoth. Love those wheels on there.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just make sure you have enough battery - I ran out 3/4 of the way through my trail run (forgot a battery in the truck) and had to carry that damn truck all the way out. It was not fun!

Congrats on the purchase!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Welcome to the Party!
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Picture’s definitely do not do it justice HPD. Every time I go to pick it up I’m reminded that this isn’t a 1/10.
OSRC, yea I bought 2 4s packs to run in the truck so when the first one dies I can drive it back to the truck lol! I did read about the tow strap idea putting it in neutral and I might have to keep a dog leash or something with me just in case.
Thanks guys! I really want a honcho, been contemplating selling this one to get the other but I doubt I’ll do it

Old 11-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Be mindful using 4S, its rated for it but Axial doesn't recommend it. I forget the exact reasoning for it, I bet some of the early reviews mention it if you wanted details.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:28 AM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Love the look of them Method wheel faces!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:37 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Be mindful using 4S, its rated for it but Axial doesn't recommend it. I forget the exact reasoning for it, I bet some of the early reviews mention it if you wanted details.
If my memory serves me right, the ESC can handle 4S but the stock motor is only rated for 3S. I personally run 4S batteries with the stock system and I've had no issues in doing so.
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

I’ll keep that in mind, although on the scx6 description it states to use 3s. I checked the motor and Esc descriptions separately on the spektrum website and they both show they’re rated for 4s. I’m sure it might be geared a tad high but I’ll keep an eye on things

Old 11-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Iv been running 4s in mine since mid December last year with zero issues. Switched when my steering servo went out and replaced with a 4s direct power servo. If you look on horizons web site for replacement parts both are listed as 2-4 cell.

I wouldn't open up the transmission unless it's making noise, the grease is super sticky and hard to clean off and seems to work really well. Not sure how many miles I have on my scx6 but when my servo died I had 120 ish mid December. I live in Michigan and it was the only rc I was able to take out due to all the snow we get and my sports tracker shows I have 140 miles for January and February. So a minimum of 260 miles without issue.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:33 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Hell yea thanks for the info. Did you re-gear running 4s? Sounds like I’ll just clean the trans off then. Has anyone checked the diffs to see what’s in there? I may at least do that and just give it a mild cleaning.
My free 4 day shipping on my batteries turned into free 9 day shipping smh. I did see it run before I made the deal but was hoping to have some batteries for this weekend.
Also sounds like I should be prepared to change the servo. I’ve got a 10 year old hitec from my hpi Baja racing days, but the stock servo says it has more muscle according to the internet

Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

It's awesome to see more and more members getting these.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
It's awesome to see more and more members getting these.

Man I wanted one as soon as they came out. Just couldn’t justify it… not sure why considering just about every 1/10 truck I own I’ve got over $1,000 invested in if not more. But when the offer presented itself, I couldn’t pass it up. Hopefully next weekend I’ll be able to run this beast

Old 11-20-2022, 11:22 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Man I wanted one as soon as they came out. Just couldn’t justify it… not sure why considering just about every 1/10 truck I own I’ve got over $1,000 invested in if not more. But when the offer presented itself, I couldn’t pass it up.
I’m sure there were way more of us in the same boat, we just don’t want to admit it… or let the better half in on the secret of creative spending and justification

Once you get to run it, I hope it is everything you expected.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:42 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I didn't regear. Didn't goto 4s for more speed just the servo, and it's retained it's nice slow control even on 4s. Still running the stock radio as well, just seen to work for me.

That grease that is in the transmission was also in my diffs.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:14 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I’m back…..

Some of you may know I got rid of the previous scx6 in a trade deal. Well this thing popped up locally for super cheap. Started as a jeep, which the jeep body is included. Treal axle housings and shock towers. Proline method wheel faces, dual stage foams and hyrax tires. The guy included all the stock parts as well as an upgraded radio. Going to run this one on 3s I think and upgrade the steering servo. I may even strip it down a little further and grab the cliffhanger body.. we will see

Fricker08 joins the 25lb fun party - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fricker08 Joins the party with a TF2 kit Fricker08 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 45 01-29-2024 12:34 PM
1stGen Joins the Party (build thread) 1stGen Axial SCX10 III 22 01-17-2021 05:32 PM
What are some decent shocks for a 7.25lb rig. Tom95YJ Axial SCX-10 20 01-05-2015 09:03 PM
End of the SEASON raffle,awards and Fun crawl PARTY CRAWLER-DAD Arizona 28 05-17-2011 07:12 PM