Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Need your opinions on building a scale rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Need your opinions on building a scale rig

I would say i am a beginner at RC's but learning very fast. So far, i've built 3 nylint rockcrawlers that crawl very well. My recent one is a gladiator model with a stretched wheelbase, 4-link rear and some other crap. I think i'm ready to move on to something more advanced but need your opinions.

I have another gladiator body laying around and i would like to use that again. What would be a good hobby grade chassis/axles/motor to use? I don't want to spend alot of $$ (under $200) and i don't want anything far too advanced for me. I was thinking of grabbing a clod buster that was already built (on ebay) and using the motor/axles/etc to build a capable crawling chassis for the gladiator. I'm not really sure of the crawl-ability of the clods or other hobby grade crawlers out there. I'm into the scale lookin rigs, preferrably 1/6 size.

Which HG crawler setups out there are cheap but crawl well?

Any info to get me started is appreciated.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Not sure about the crawlability of the clod? At least 60% of the super class cralwers are clod axle based
For the Jeep gladiator body you will not find a 'hobby grade' chassis as it is just too big. If you look through some of the other builds in this forum you will see how each one runs a scratch built chassis either out of brake line or steel tube.
Axles and drive train will depend on the look you want for your build. If you want to keep the tires in the fenders TLT axles or wheely king axles are the ticket. If you dont mind the tires sticking out a little then clod or TXT axles should be on the shopping list.
Since you are coming from Nylints I would recomend clod axles (can be picked up for $90 used), a simple steel tube frame, and a 4 link suspension. This will give you a rig that performs well (if built well), easy to build, and reasonably priced. Once that itch has been scratched go for a shaft driven rig to step things up
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
Not sure about the crawlability of the clod? At least 60% of the super class cralwers are clod axle based
For the Jeep gladiator body you will not find a 'hobby grade' chassis as it is just too big. If you look through some of the other builds in this forum you will see how each one runs a scratch built chassis either out of brake line or steel tube.
Axles and drive train will depend on the look you want for your build. If you want to keep the tires in the fenders TLT axles or wheely king axles are the ticket. If you dont mind the tires sticking out a little then clod or TXT axles should be on the shopping list.
Since you are coming from Nylints I would recomend clod axles (can be picked up for $90 used), a simple steel tube frame, and a 4 link suspension. This will give you a rig that performs well (if built well), easy to build, and reasonably priced. Once that itch has been scratched go for a shaft driven rig to step things up
Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. If i get the clod buster kit (combo with everything needed), i want to build my own frame and stretch the wheelbase along with using a 4-link setup. Will i need anything other than all the stock components (minus frame and links)? Does the clod buster have low range to crawl slowly? I'm not really familiar with it but my buddy bought one and i've seen all the parts (it's not assembled). I'm looking to build a "trail rig" that can do it all, not just a rock-crawler. I want it to crawl slow, like the 4:1 rubicons, but also have decent hi-range speed for getting around.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

i agree with slugzracing start with some clod axles then you can eliminate the extra work for the driveshafts, then switch out to txt axles with driveshafts if ya want, hard to beat a clod with a shaft driven vehicle (can be done tho)
mrmaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

is this stuff good enough to start off?

Lookin like i will invest into a clod and start from scratch. I listed what i plan to get to get me started. Hopefully that'll be what i need. I'm looking for a motor/pinion combo for the clod that'll give me the slowest crawl but at the lowest price. not sure where to start lookin so i'm gonna start searchin ;)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

if ya get the kit then you will have all kinds of fasteners etc. to play around with
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaxxman View Post
if ya get the kit then you will have all kinds of fasteners etc. to play around with
good or bad?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

way good!!!!you can never have too much of the screws and what nots, they come in real handy on future builds and mock ups:-P