Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Bought a King Krawler Kit, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bought a King Krawler Kit, now what?

I just bought the 1/5 scale King Krawler Kit. Now I need wheels/tires, esc's, motors, transmitter/receiver, and a body. What would you guys use if you were in my position? I want great torque and good wheelspeed. Big ass tires and some nice beadlocks. Ive only got about another $1000 that I can invest in this thing. Let me know what you guys think! thanks!
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

does no one else have a King Krawler??
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

most likely not. your talking about the giant one from RC4wD right?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

someone actually bought one of those???? I thought they built it as a gimic to show what they "could do"
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

hey beau, give me a call, i have some stuff for you if you need it.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
someone actually bought one of those???? I thought they built it as a gimic to show what they "could do"
not much in the form of advice.. are you saying RC4wd makes POS's? It appears that alot of people have bought ONE OF THOSE!!!! ha. always a hater somewhere..
and John (billygoat), I will give you a call tomo.. thanks bro
Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
most likely not. your talking about the giant one from RC4wD right?
yeah, here's a few pics from the website

Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
man, it looks like alot of cool stuff for good deals on the website link in your sig. Too bad that your smart a** comment will keep me from doing business with you or whoever you are representing. Bad business ethics in my opinion. I did NOT see anything as well built as the king krawler on that entire site tho, including the generic 1/5 scale gas powered truck.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

"Killer krawler" has nothing to do with "King", King says he will not endorse it as such. The King is very annoyed about this.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagefromthesprings View Post
I just bought the 1/5 scale King Krawler Kit. Now I need wheels/tires, esc's, motors, transmitter/receiver, and a body. What would you guys use if you were in my position? I want great torque and good wheelspeed. Big ass tires and some nice beadlocks. Ive only got about another $1000 that I can invest in this thing. Let me know what you guys think! thanks!

To get back on topic...

It looks like 540 sized motors work, so I think it's begging for some holmes hobbies pullers and a HH torquemaster ESC (6s capable, with a nice BEC on board.)

Bodies - New bright made some 1:6 scale bodies, and there's a guy on ebay selling them for about $30. They are a little heavy, but some of them come with interiors. Shoot Stangkiller has an av with tube work for sale...
One problem you might have is the big spacers on the axles cause a lot of swing steer. (The wheels have a large steering arc which means you'll need space front and back of your wheels to accomodate this.

Wheels/Tires - That's tough, because it's going to depend on what body you go with and if you want scale appearance or monster truck style. Jumbo Kongs are huge, clod wheels might work, and 40 series or even 2.2s will work depending on what you are looking for in terms of style.

I'd love to see what you do with it, I think I've got one of the only other big scalers in Colorado. You're going for more wheelspeed though, so I'm interested to see it done.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
"Killer krawler" has nothing to do with "King", King says he will not endorse it as such. The King is very annoyed about this.
I apologize. The KILLER krawler is what I purchased.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
To get back on topic...

It looks like 540 sized motors work, so I think it's begging for some holmes hobbies pullers and a HH torquemaster ESC (6s capable, with a nice BEC on board.)

Bodies - New bright made some 1:6 scale bodies, and there's a guy on ebay selling them for about $30. They are a little heavy, but some of them come with interiors. Shoot Stangkiller has an av with tube work for sale...
One problem you might have is the big spacers on the axles cause a lot of swing steer. (The wheels have a large steering arc which means you'll need space front and back of your wheels to accomodate this.

Wheels/Tires - That's tough, because it's going to depend on what body you go with and if you want scale appearance or monster truck style. Jumbo Kongs are huge, clod wheels might work, and 40 series or even 2.2s will work depending on what you are looking for in terms of style.

I'd love to see what you do with it, I think I've got one of the only other big scalers in Colorado. You're going for more wheelspeed though, so I'm interested to see it done.
thanks for the input! Are the tires in the pictures 40 series? Im going more for the look as above with the Wrangler body. Not looking for anything really scale because I plan on beating the s*** out of this thing! ha. What about transmitter? Do I need one of the $500 fancy ones or can I get away with something cheaper?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks for the input! Are the tires in the pictures 40 series? Im going more for the look as above with the Wrangler body. Not looking for anything really scale because I plan on beating the s*** out of this thing! ha. What about transmitter? Do I need one of the $500 fancy ones or can I get away with something cheaper?
Not sure what wheels are on it. I've never seen one of these things in person.

Look for Revo sized bodies or even baja 5b/5t bodies if you're looking for plastic bodies. I've got a crowd pleazer body that is kind of cool, they are a little small for the chassis, but if you're not going for scale realism (why is it in the scale section?) then even a baja 5t body might look cool on it.

The expensive transmitters are really only necessary if you are going to run near other rcs or want a million options on the tx. KO Propo has a nice 3 channel 2.4ghz radio that does all the same stuff as a DX3R for only $180 or so new, but you could get away with a TQ system. The KO Propo EX-5 comes with a spare receiver you can use in another vehicle. It's got a 5 position 3rd channel, so if you use that for rear steer or dig, it gives you a few options on what to do with it.

I think you'll have money to spare within your $1k budget really (I wouldn't mind helping you get rid of the extra in the budget .) the most expensive parts might be wheels/tires. The motors will run you 80 a piece, and the esc is another 100, punk dig is fairly cheap, servos are about 80 a piece maybe, you could get away with under 200oz-in servo(s) and be fine for a basher. If you're looking for batteries, HobbyKing has some good deals on some, as well as other places.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Not sure what wheels are on it. I've never seen one of these things in person.

Look for Revo sized bodies or even baja 5b/5t bodies if you're looking for plastic bodies. I've got a crowd pleazer body that is kind of cool, they are a little small for the chassis, but if you're not going for scale realism (why is it in the scale section?) then even a baja 5t body might look cool on it.

The expensive transmitters are really only necessary if you are going to run near other rcs or want a million options on the tx. KO Propo has a nice 3 channel 2.4ghz radio that does all the same stuff as a DX3R for only $180 or so new, but you could get away with a TQ system. The KO Propo EX-5 comes with a spare receiver you can use in another vehicle. It's got a 5 position 3rd channel, so if you use that for rear steer or dig, it gives you a few options on what to do with it.

I think you'll have money to spare within your $1k budget really (I wouldn't mind helping you get rid of the extra in the budget .) the most expensive parts might be wheels/tires. The motors will run you 80 a piece, and the esc is another 100, punk dig is fairly cheap, servos are about 80 a piece maybe, you could get away with under 200oz-in servo(s) and be fine for a basher. If you're looking for batteries, HobbyKing has some good deals on some, as well as other places.
Thanks man! Is a dig unit necessary when you have MOA's? I thought you could just put 1 axle in neutral and dig with the other? And what exact servos would you recommend for front and rear steer?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks man! Is a dig unit necessary when you have MOA's? I thought you could just put 1 axle in neutral and dig with the other? And what exact servos would you recommend for front and rear steer?
MOA's have a different method for dig, it's electronic to cut electricity to one motor. The punk dig switch allows an easy way to control that. Same effect as a shafty dig, but adds the capability for "rear burn" where the front wheels can lock, and the rear wheels are allowed to drive. For a basher, rear burn is used for burnouts, and front dig is used for low speed tight turns. If you're going with 4WS though, you may not need dig.

For servos, I don't have a recommendation, but either standard or 1/4 scale servos should do, anything with 140 - 250 oz-in should work just fine.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

dang... I wasnt meaning it to be mean... if you look at my comp rigs they are both rc4wd's. I was just referring to the fact of how large the Killer krawler is (and pricey) and that I didnt think anyone actually bought them. Learn to laugh a little...

As for advice:

The truck was designed to use standard monster truck bodies so the Jeep and Bronco bodies from HPI/proline will work.

Punkrc.com dig unit is the only way to go for an electronic dig (you could use switches but punk is cleaner)

Tires, Kongs would prolly LOOK good, no good choices for large crawler tires

Motors, who knows, the thing is huge and heavy maybe some cobalt outrunners...

As for the radio, I prefer the dx6 (old one) for MOA's

Last edited by jetboat; 10-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
dang... I wasnt meaning it to be mean... if you look at my comp rigs they are both rc4wd's. I was just referring to the fact of how large the Killer krawler is (and pricey) and that I didnt think anyone actually bought them. Learn to laugh a little...

As for advice:

The truck was designed to use standard monster truck bodies so the Jeep and Bronco bodies from HPI/proline will work.

Punkrc.com dig unit is the only way to go for an electronic dig (you could use switches but punk is cleaner)

Motors, who knows, the thing is huge and heavy maybe some cobalt outrunners...

As for the radio, I prefer the dx6 (old one) for MOA's
ok man. thanks for the advice. I looked at your site in your sig and was wondering if the 1/5th scale gas powered truck is any good? Is it fast? Good for bashing? Decent on the track?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'm guessing you mean RC Slot... I really haven't a clue, I only drive for their team (1/5 scale stuff is out of my budget). I would recommend calling the shop and asking... The owner usually answers the phone, let him know that Jeff from Team RCSlot sent you and he will set you up.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:

What about rc4wd's selection of 4.0 crawler tires and wheels? -Slingers, Crushers, Rok Loks, and X-loks. Rc4wd pictures the killer krawler with 4.0 Crushers, and those new 4.0 Rok Loks are beastly... 8.6" tall .

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.ph...acturers_id=16
monstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertruck View Post
What about rc4wd's selection of 4.0 crawler tires and wheels? -Slingers, Crushers, Rok Loks, and X-loks. Rc4wd pictures the killer krawler with 4.0 Crushers, and those new 4.0 Rok Loks are beastly... 8.6" tall .

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.ph...acturers_id=16

As far as the 4.0 crushers go I wouldnt get them if you're looking for performance. THey are pretty hard and only look awesome
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote