Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: WW2 Dodge WC-57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default WW2 Dodge WC-57

It's been some time since I've thought about this project.
Lately, I am/was trying to trade or sell out the xtm x-factor axles due to the width of the axles and body issues.Trying to find a body that I like and matching it up with these axles is the main issue for me.

Then the genuine draft started flowing thru my veins and reminded me I had this "thing" in storage. Not only that but the body issue isn't as bad as I previously thought. I think an offset issue for the wheels is more the culprit than the size of the body to match these axles up with. I'm after a semi-realistic look. Nothing like a 1/18th body on clod axles or in this instance, x-factor axles.
Im not sure which wheels would fit this best.I just started resurfacing some thoughts of the past and touched the tip of the iceberg(to my knowledge) on what wheels are available or ones that can be modded to fit with this set up. Ive seen some of the circle design orginial wheels from xtm for the x-factor but Im not sure if they would match up for the look Im after. The chrome would definitely be axed off them. There isn't any room for bling on this thing.

From the reviews I read on xtm axles and comparing them to the clod axles I think these guys are at home on this truck. Not saying clod axles aren't as good but when I fit the clod axles underneath it, they just dont have that hefty,beefy look like the rest of the truck does.
I tried the txt axles as well and I really liked the way they sat under there. They completed the trucks look even more so than the x-factors axles did. Alot of meat on those txt case covers which really set this off. But I think the xtm axles would be best for the weight of this thing.

spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
tjb
Rock Crawler

That body kicks azz! who makes it???????????????????????

Looking forward to seeing this progress!
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
That body kicks azz! who makes it???????????????????????

Looking forward to seeing this progress!

^ x2 ^ I have been looking for a hard body dodge. can't wait to see this finished.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice amps in the back there... cool body as well.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
JJR
Quarry Creeper

That looks so cool. This is going to be a good build.
JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

21st Century Ultimate Soldier Command Car. 1:6th scale of course. I've been looking for one to cut the front off and make into a cab and make a personel carrier.
Not cheap though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-21st-centur...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 08-21-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
21st Century Ultimate Soldier Command Car. 1:6th scale of course. I've been looking for one to cut the front off and make into a cab and make a personel carrier.
Not cheap though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-21st-centur...QQcmdZViewItem
Their stuff is worth it though, but for 79.S&H KMA will have to keep looking around..... Thanks for the info!
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. Thor has everything correct on the information. They released this back in '02-'03. Prices have gone up since the release on them. Shipping costs are always high on 1:6 scale stuff though especially if the seller and buyer are pretty distance from one another.
Im looking at the savage wheels

for this thing & want to modify the look of them. IMO,they need to look more aggressive than what they look now.I have a few ideas in mind just hope they work out. But Im not sure if these wheels will fit the imex k-rock tires and I would probably have to change the wheel axles to savage. Im not sure if that will fit up with the xfactor axles or not. OFNA may have better matches.
I need to download a copy of the xfactor manual to find out the info I need on everything as I dont have the hexes for these axles so not sure what mm they come with.m guessin 17mm. I also dont have the screws to mount the knuckles to the axles.
I also found these wheels but finding tires 1.6 wide with an aggressive look will be a challenge.

& these

Last edited by spiderxx; 08-21-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looks sweet! Have you thought about trying Wheely King axles under it? never saw that body style before, just the trucks.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Have you thought about trying Wheely King axles under it?
I did think about it but for the weight of this thing I dont think they would hold up nor last long. I think they would be a bit too small in width as well.
I just messed around with the imex j-dawg tires that are a closer style to the ones that came with the truck. I wanted to keep it close to as the way it came and military style.
Have a look and see what you guys think. I'd like to hear opinions on it but I think the k-rock tires are the better fit.(If this is too many pictures let me know or mods/admins feel free to remove some).

Imex J-Dawgs

Tire Comparison

Body lowered with K-Rocks

Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
~THE SCALE SHOP~

looks MUCH better with the lowered body
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking the same thing . I think the k-rock tires would handle the weight issue much better as there is more side wall. But dam those j-dawgs were the look I was after.
Ill have to try and lower the body with those tires and see what it looks like. But I doubt the side walls will hold up & I dont know how to make new foams that would be more firm.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

about time i see one of these....the guy next door has one, if you need some scale pics ill hook you up with some, just pm me
foodstamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
if you need some scale pics ill hook you up
Thanks for the offer. You have a pm