LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Locked Up RC - FI Spool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Your wife is a nun?
Think dirtier

On another note, these things are bad ass!!!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

can i order them here?because i visited your page but it say that i have not met the minimum order?what is the minimum order?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #83
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
can i order them here?because i visited your page but it say that i have not met the minimum order?what is the minimum order?
I'll look into it.

Last edited by Locked Up; 06-20-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

any help?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #85
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
any help?
There is a minimum of $100 for orders in your area and payment must be made via western union.

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by Locked Up; 06-23-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

At a bit of a loss, I am using them with the HD overdrive gear set and CV universals. They wouldn't come close to going in.. so tap tap tap with a hammer (lightly) and in they went. But now it's as if they are not straight, and I get a gear grind/resistance in one spot during rotation after axle reassembly. The shafts are not bent, just don't seem to seat at that perfect perpendicular angle to the locker. They are absolutely impossible to remove. I fear bending one of the CV shafts. Now I am just stuck and don't know what to do from here. Anyone have any experience?
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #87
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
At a bit of a loss, I am using them with the HD overdrive gear set and CV universals. They wouldn't come close to going in.. so tap tap tap with a hammer (lightly) and in they went. But now it's as if they are not straight, and I get a gear grind/resistance in one spot during rotation after axle reassembly. The shafts are not bent, just don't seem to seat at that perfect perpendicular angle to the locker. They are absolutely impossible to remove. I fear bending one of the CV shafts. Now I am just stuck and don't know what to do from here. Anyone have any experience?

The FI Spools have a very, very close tolerance and some shafts may require a bit a filing. I had to remove just a hair off my front RC4WD shafts with a file.

Do you have the axle apart and the spool and shaft out of the housing?
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Yes everything is a new build so I haven't put it all together yet. I just have to figure out how to get the shafts out of the locker now. I may try a vice as not to bend the shafts while pulling. They went in so easy with a few light taps, I thought I was home free. I'll keep at it, it's not a product problem, the locker is flawless in it's engineering, more of an operator error.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #89
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Shoot us a ticket on the contact us part of the website and we'll get you walked through it!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #90
Pebble Pounder

I just got two and I like them so far. They were a super tight fit with xr axles in my curries. A couple taps and they were in. Absolutely zero slop. I just wish we could use m3 hardware for the ring gear. That's what I broke with my other locker. They sheared off and tore up my axle center section.
Fly Krisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Issue solved. I am running the Locker with Axial Uni's and OD front HD Gears. After so much frustration it turns out that the plastic axial axle housings are slightly warped. When re-assembled they pull the locker/gear set into the pinion every half rotation. I am just going to shim out the locker/gear set for now and it will clear up the problem. This set deserves aluminum housings, so I better get on that soon.

I gotta tell ya, these spools ARE F.I. I beat the crap out of mine trying to get stuck shafts out! I viced them, clamped them, blow torched them and even froze them with liquid nitrogen. They are an incredible little piece of hard ass steel. They are still true, still tight and not a mark on them.

*Edit I have now installed them WITH the stock axial gasket between the spool and the gear. It seems that in my case the extra 1/32" shim of the gasket was needed to get the perfect mesh running the Axial HD Overdrive gears. If your binding, I would suggest this trick.

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 07-18-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #92
RCC Addict

I just bought and installed two of these. The stock Axial rear axles fit nice and tight, but the RC4WD CVDs are still slightly wobbly in their sockets. Is that normal?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #93
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I just bought and installed two of these. The stock Axial rear axles fit nice and tight, but the RC4WD CVDs are still slightly wobbly in their sockets. Is that normal?
I've not tested as many RC4WD parts but we do engineer these to be a tight fit to Axial, VP and RC4WD parts. The focus is on Axial though as they are the most common.

If the Axial are tight and the RC4wd are loose I would suspect the RC4WD shafts to be a bit smaller than ideal. This is not to say there is anything wrong with the RC4WD parts or the lockers. Even with tolerances smaller than a human hair, a hint of slop in the socket will amplify out at the tires.

If you have a dial caliper and/or want to troubleshoot with us, drop us a ticket on the contact us tab of our website. Depending on how bad it is there are some different things we could try to help you shim out the slop.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #94
Rock Stacker

I just tried to buy two of these. It rejected my card, so I used a different one. Same results. So I used a paypal account and some other BS popped up. Is there anywhere else that actually keeps stuff stocked that I can order through?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Pgambardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
I've not tested as many RC4WD parts but we do engineer these to be a tight fit to Axial, VP and RC4WD parts. The focus is on Axial though as they are the most common.

If the Axial are tight and the RC4wd are loose I would suspect the RC4WD shafts to be a bit smaller than ideal. This is not to say there is anything wrong with the RC4WD parts or the lockers. Even with tolerances smaller than a human hair, a hint of slop in the socket will amplify out at the tires.

If you have a dial caliper and/or want to troubleshoot with us, drop us a ticket on the contact us tab of our website. Depending on how bad it is there are some different things we could try to help you shim out the slop.
After a couple runs, the Axial rear axles loosened-up too, so now all four wheels wobble a bit. Given the enormous amount of leverage the tires have compared to the tiny interfaces between the spools and the axles, I suppose some amount of rounding-out is inevitable, as long as it doesn't completely round-out and strip the axle.

The actual amount of wobble is very small, about the size of one tread block on the surface of the tire. It's not significant, I had just expected it to fit like they were welded together based on the product description.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #96
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgambardella View Post
I just tried to buy two of these. It rejected my card, so I used a different one. Same results. So I used a paypal account and some other BS popped up. Is there anywhere else that actually keeps stuff stocked that I can order through?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sorry you are having problems with paypal!

I don't see any stock at our distributors at the moment. If you send a note to us on the contact us tab of our website I'm happy to try to get something sorted out for you!

Quote:
After a couple runs, the Axial rear axles loosened-up too, so now all four wheels wobble a bit. Given the enormous amount of leverage the tires have compared to the tiny interfaces between the spools and the axles, I suppose some amount of rounding-out is inevitable, as long as it doesn't completely round-out and strip the axle.

The actual amount of wobble is very small, about the size of one tread block on the surface of the tire. It's not significant, I had just expected it to fit like they were welded together based on the product description.
The super tight fit is normally what we are after.
Your lockers or axles may be on the high/low end of the tolerance zone.

If you can, please send us a note on the contact us tab of our website. That way we can track this, add it to our knowledge base and provide you faster support!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #97

Will These Work on the front of the Axial Yeti to lock the front Diff ?
KKRC Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRC Productions View Post
I'm wondering the same thing.
npcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #99
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRC Productions View Post
They were not designed for it but it looks like they might with the right universals.
Check out the post we just shared on our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/LockedUpRC

I don't have a Yeti yet myself so I'm not sure what all you need to make this it work correctly.

Last edited by Locked Up; 11-03-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #100
RCC Addict

If you want to run an FI spool in the front of your Yeti, put retaining springs in the outdrive cups even if the cups fit tightly into the spool at first, because they *will* loosen up eventually.

Locked Up RC - FI Spool - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
traxxas slash 4x4 spool or no spool? Oregon crawler Formula Offroad 12 03-17-2012 02:02 PM
Diffs locked or not locked? aorquiz Formula Offroad 8 05-20-2011 09:58 PM
Spool mtwheelin Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 08-04-2007 12:04 PM
Axial AX10 Locked Axle Set and Locked Transmission Xtant3150c General Crawlers 13 07-22-2007 01:39 PM