RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Locked Up RC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/locked-up-rc/)
-   -   Commando Free Spool Winch System (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/locked-up-rc/512863-commando-free-spool-winch-system.html)

Locked Up 10-22-2014 05:33 PM

Commando Free Spool Winch System

http://www.lockeduprc.net/images/newlogo/logo3.png
http://www.lockeduprc.net/electronic...o/commando.png

This has been a long time coming for us and I'll thrilled to announce it!

The Commando Winch System kit is our add on solution for those of you looking for free spool winching action within a reasonable budget.

This kit works with your existing 3 Racing CR01-27 scale winch and installation can be done with common RC tools.
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/8QGW4uNOt1Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/8QGW4uNOt1Q?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

These are currently ONLY available at LockedUpRC.com while we build up our supply.

http://www.lockeduprc.net/electronic...ommandokit.jpg
http://www.lockeduprc.net/electronic...mmandokit2.jpg

Thanks for reading!!!

old man 52 10-22-2014 05:53 PM

Re: Commando Free Spool Winch System

Nice addition to the 3r , Free spool is a good time saver and I'm glad to see all you vendors keep developing cool new stuff , But i can't justify 60.00 bucks on a 20.00 winch , But thats just me.

Jslick 10-22-2014 07:44 PM

I look at it this way, how much do other free spool winch options cost? CLAW if you can find them anymore are expensive, quicksand winches are big bucks and most servo winches are too big for my liking. The commando option creates a small realistic looking free spool winch for a reasonable price. There are great motor options for these winches also. The design of the kit is impressive. I know that I have at least 4 3racing winches for my scale rigs. The free spool will be awesome during a scale comp when time is an issue.

Locked Up 10-22-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old man 52 (Post 4926289)
Nice addition to the 3r , Free spool is a good time saver and I'm glad to see all you vendors keep developing cool new stuff , But i can't justify 60.00 bucks on a 20.00 winch , But thats just me.

Thanks for the Kudos.
"thumbsup"

We actually used to (as did everyone that had them) sell the CLAW winches for about $150. So even if you buy a new 3R winch and this kit you are still at half of that.

The 3R winch itself is a decent unit for what you get. It looks good and has realistic power. I know, I know... servo winches are significantly stronger ... but for something you mount to the bumper I like them for the actual scale pulling power.

And for those of you that want to increase the power we have a batch of hot motors coming that I tested myself and was totally blown away!

Stay tuned!

Meatwad 10-22-2014 07:54 PM

Agreed its pricey, but for what it is and what you get.. its worth it. For someone that already has one or a few laying around, a free spool option even being available is awesome.

old man 52 10-22-2014 08:21 PM

Iv'e never owned a 3r , what voltage and how strong are they.

fr8cture 10-22-2014 08:45 PM

The one thing I don't like about the 3 racing is the the plastic case (Mainly the molding marks) also it just look cheap to me. Is there any possibility of doing something like this to a RC4WD Warn winch? Maybe some how use the fake switch? I think that would be so sick.

Locked Up 10-23-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old man 52 (Post 4926428)
Iv'e never owned a 3r , what voltage and how strong are they.

You will get a lot of varying opinions I'm sure.

3R instructions call for a 7.2v battery.
For the sake of the included controller I would stick to that ... but ... if you upgrade to a HeyOK controller you can certainly push the little motors to do more.
I ran my stock 3R winch at 8.4v with a HeyOK controller and it seemed tolerant of the voltage.

I do not have any weight lifting video tests but am working on some with the new motors we will be releasing for the system soon.
"thumbsup"

Locked Up 10-23-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr8cture (Post 4926449)
The one thing I don't like about the 3 racing is the the plastic case (Mainly the molding marks) also it just look cheap to me. Is there any possibility of doing something like this to a RC4WD Warn winch? Maybe some how use the fake switch? I think that would be so sick.

I'm the other way around.
I don't see molding marks on the 3R but the case split on the RC4WD (front and back case halves) is what I notice. :ror:
The 3 piece design of the 3R looks closer to a 1:1 winch to me but everyone is different!

Possible? I would say it is ...though maybe not with the switch up there.
Possibly more expensive though because it has the 2 aluminum case halves and not a 3 piece design. For our system we had a new mold made for the end cap to fit a larger bearing. Depending on how the activator is done for the RC4WD it may require 2 new case halves (or milling of the aluminum case if there is enough substance in there to fit the activator) etc. I have not really looked into it though. That winch came out after I got my first prototype for this and have been buried trying to focus on this one!
"thumbsup"

old man 52 10-23-2014 09:56 AM

So you get a new end cap for the winch with the kit?

Locked Up 10-23-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old man 52 (Post 4926756)
So you get a new end cap for the winch with the kit?

Yep.
New end cap is necessary to fit the larger bearing, which is necessary for the new internal components.
"thumbsup"

old man 52 10-23-2014 10:12 AM

Well now that i got my foot out of my mouth:oops: , I understand the cost of the kit which isn't bad at all. Now i have to get a 3r winch than order the kit. Thanks for clearing this up for me."thumbsup"

Locked Up 10-23-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old man 52 (Post 4926770)
Well now that i got my foot out of my mouth:oops: , I understand the cost of the kit which isn't bad at all. Now i have to get a 3r winch than order the kit. Thanks for clearing this up for me."thumbsup"

No worries!

We have both in the store in the commando section:
Commando Parts

"thumbsup"

Jslick 10-26-2014 01:01 PM

A lot of work and thought was put into this kit.
The spool and the one end cap on the winch are custom made.

I started by removing my winch from my Class 2 rig.

I removed the one end cap and got ready to assemble the components of the commando.

The brass bushing and the larger bearing go in the cap end.

The spool get the shaft through and a small pin pushes through.
It is a press fit and does not require anything to keep it in place.

The washers and spring fit over the spool shaft and go through the new case provided.
A small bolt holds it all in place at the dend of the spool shaft.

The more washers added the firmer the spring return.
Insert the smaller bearing on the motor shaft.

Push the ends together, make sure that the Dshaped output on the winch motor fits into the machined end of the freespool shaft.

When the bolt sits flush it is locked.
When it is out you are in free spool.

Locked Up 10-26-2014 02:56 PM

I like what you did with the washers for the spring but we now have firmer springs (and softer ones) for people to make choices with:
http://www.lockeduprc.com/Commando-Parts_c_52.html
"thumbsup"

Should also have all the HV motors and test videos up this week.
I know the motors are more powerful I'm just trying to figure out the best way to showcase a side by side (off the same battery with the same weight, etc).

maxxdrive 10-26-2014 11:34 PM

Ordered mine today can't wait to get it in stock and try it out.

Jslick 10-27-2014 07:36 AM

To show the difference between the two motors a spring scale for fishing might be a good way to go.
It would show where the motors stall out at. I looked for my old one and can't find it.
I have video of the difference in speed between the two motors just not the pulling power.

Here is something I did with my free spool end bolt.
I had a tough time getting my fat fingers in to properly grab it when the body was mounted.
This made it easier for me to release it."thumbsup"

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb142f85f.jpg

Hoosierdady 10-28-2014 05:57 PM

Man...I need one of these kits for my C1!

maxxdrive 10-29-2014 04:44 PM

Got mine in today. It's a very easy install and works great. Now I need to order 6 more kits. Do you do bulk pricing lol.

Locked Up 10-29-2014 05:45 PM

New "hot" motors will be up on the site this evening.

These things are beasts!
No problems lifting over 6lbs.

Specs put them at nearly double the power and torque of the standard 3 racing motors but I'll let yall watch the videos and make your own calls.
"thumbsup"