RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Locked Up RC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/locked-up-rc/)
-   -   OTVD Steering axles! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/locked-up-rc/562405-otvd-steering-axles.html)

Locked Up 04-22-2016 09:40 AM

OTVD Steering axles!

http://www.lockeduprc.net/images/logo/logo3dark.png
Presenting our new OTVD.
http://www.lockeduprc.net/drivetrain...839-SCOTVD.jpg

Locked Up RC is happy to present our solution for those that are looking for a stronger, reasonably priced, replacement steering axle shaft for their AX10/SCX10.
Although these units offer twice the strength of a stock "CVD", we stuck with the "OT" name because you all know and love it!

OT shafts offer several improvements over other shafts:
1. Torsional tensile strength rating of 180in/lbs. That is double a typical stock CVD shaft, which suffers destruction in the 70-85in/lb range.
2. We thread the end of the shaft several extra turns vs some other aftermarket shafts. So if you are trying to narrow up your rig with narrow hex hubs and our .185 SLW hubs you can run them with less or no washers behind your wheel nuts.
3. We use a coil to keep the pin in. This means you can assemble the shafts and leave them in your parts bin and they won't come apart like other units.
4. 50* of steering throw.

Even with these improvements these are usually a direct replacement requiring little or no modifications to a stock vehicle.
You can expect a direct slide in fit or light press fit with stock lockers...
They will be tight with an FI Spool, because we make FI spools to be tight with everything!

Compared to a standard CVD:
http://www.lockeduprc.net/drivetrain...9-SCOTVD-3.jpg

No animals were harmed in the making of this product... but a lot of metal was ...
http://www.lockeduprc.net/drivetrain...9-SCOTVD-2.jpg

thanks for reading!
"thumbsup"

Teasley4Crawlers 04-22-2016 12:35 PM

Re: OTVD Steering axles!

These look great, another product added to my wishlist

madtinner 04-22-2016 03:14 PM

Definitely need some of those.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jslick 04-23-2016 01:23 PM

Next purchase for my TKO10 axle build. Need to pick the rear axles as well to go with my LURC spools.8)

Prime 04-24-2016 08:48 PM

I told my wife just the other day that I need to pick up some CVDs for Deadbolt. She told me to pick a set and I could get them as soon as I get back from the Ohio comp. Guess I have now found the ones I am going to be putting in my rig. "thumbsup"

Just file these like the stock axles to get them into the F1 spool?

Locked Up 04-25-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 5492179)
I told my wife just the other day that I need to pick up some CVDs for Deadbolt. She told me to pick a set and I could get them as soon as I get back from the Ohio comp. Guess I have now found the ones I am going to be putting in my rig. "thumbsup"

Just file these like the stock axles to get them into the F1 spool?

Exactly!
"thumbsup"

cherokee95 04-25-2016 11:02 AM

Now we need and Arse-ender version :shock:

youngblood 04-25-2016 12:37 PM

Now we need XR10 width

badhoopty 04-26-2016 07:08 AM

oh hell yes.

50% strength increase over stock dogbones(?), uni's, competitors cvds, or vvds?

Locked Up 04-26-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 5492911)
oh hell yes.

50% strength increase over stock dogbones(?), uni's, competitors cvds, or vvds?

Double the torsional strength of an Axial CVD (70-80in/lb).
The Axial CVDs allow for very little yield before breaking, all our tests were broken inside the ball but most field failures come from the pin due to wear or bad EPAs.

Some of the competitor stuff we tested was just sad.
Like under 70 or did not register.
Nothing you'd get from a vendor on here that I know of though.

We don't have a large enough sample size of VVDs to really certify anything so I don't want to speak to numbers.
Honestly, they are just expensive for us to destroy in mass.
The numbers we do have from the sample we destroyed put OTVDs within a few % of them.

Truth be told we were planning on just a mild improvement over the stock stuff... like 33%.
When we started breaking the OTVDs on the jig we said: "HOLY S*&T these are strong!"
Then we started wondering "how strong is a VVD?" So we busted up a few of them.
They are also "F*&#king strong".

XR Uni's we broke around 120.

No data on dog bones.

Hope that helps!

Bogncrawl 04-26-2016 04:46 PM

I'm going to have to test out a set of these.

Locked Up 04-26-2016 05:33 PM

Now that I look at my math, I see it's not exactly correct.
OTVD's are more than double an Axial CVD's torsional strength, not 50% more.... 100% more.

I get hit in the head a lot....
:ror:

Making corrections to the above to reflect.

Prime 05-15-2016 08:24 PM

I just ordered myself up a set of these for my Deadbolt. Can not wait to get them installed. :)

Prime 05-25-2016 06:47 AM

I got my CVDs installed but think there may be a slight problem. The tolerances between the c-hub and cvd seem very tight to me, I can not get a sheet of paper between the cvd and the c-hub. And not sure but they may be actually touching a bit. Is this intentional? Debating on filing down the hub or just let them "wear" into each other. Just wanted to get some advice before I do either or to see if I missed something. Either way I can say this, these puppies are beefy!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...zz100_1240.jpg

Also I noticed the stock wheel hexes will not seat on the stub with out opening them up a bit. One set of aftermarket hexes I have will and the other set (that I run) I had to enlarge the hole on the front just a touch.

Thank you for your time.

Locked Up 05-25-2016 07:37 AM

Sorry for the issue!

It is somewhat intentional.

As with most things we do, we try to remove slop and use all the available space, so it will be a tight fit.

C-hubs may be under 14mm ID due to variances in tolerance or burrs where the king pin holes are threaded. Older C-hubs or plastic may have been pinched over time may require some slight "love" for them to slide in.... and removing a bit of material on the C-Hub is not going to cause you any issues with strength.

There are a few things you can check though to make sure the OTVD are inside the 14mm spec. I'll work on a downloadable set of instructions for you and will try to have them up this afternoon.

In the meantime, you can check with a set of calipers (if you have them) to make sure the assembled OTVD is not going over 14mm. If it is, it's probably going to be where the coil wire is ... and if so, you can check to make sure there are no burrs on the outer where the cross pin hole is machined. A burr there will cause the wire to stick up and make the OTVD effectively over 14mm.

I hope that helps and I'll post an update in here when we get some instructions up for you.
"thumbsup"

Locked Up 05-25-2016 07:45 AM

Will have to check on the wheel hexes.

Could just be due to tolerance stacking and as I said... we like to make things that are tight.

Do your stock hexes slide on inside out?
Just wondering if it is the outer portion where the threads are, or the part where the pin itself is.

Prime 05-25-2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locked Up (Post 5508202)
Sorry for the issue!

It is somewhat intentional.

As with most things we do, we try to remove slop and use all the available space, so it will be a tight fit.

C-hubs may be under 14mm ID due to variances in tolerance or burrs where the king pin holes are threaded. Older C-hubs or plastic may have been pinched over time may require some slight "love" for them to slide in.... and removing a bit of material on the C-Hub is not going to cause you any issues with strength.

There are a few things you can check though to make sure the OTVD are inside the 14mm spec. I'll work on a downloadable set of instructions for you and will try to have them up this afternoon.

In the meantime, you can check with a set of calipers (if you have them) to make sure the assembled OTVD is not going over 14mm. If it is, it's probably going to be where the coil wire is ... and if so, you can check to make sure there are no burrs on the outer where the cross pin hole is machined. A burr there will cause the wire to stick up and make the OTVD effectively over 14mm.

I hope that helps and I'll post an update in here when we get some instructions up for you.
"thumbsup"

She is actually tighter on either side of the coil. The CVD is right under 14mm. If it rubs it is very very close. Figured it was due to tolerances. So just going to lightly knock down the in c-hub just a touch. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locked Up (Post 5508208)
Will have to check on the wheel hexes.

Could just be due to tolerance stacking and as I said... we like to make things that are tight.

Do your stock hexes slide on inside out?
Just wondering if it is the outer portion where the threads are, or the part where the pin itself is.

No they do not, the opening in the outer face (toward wheel nut) is just a touch too small to slip over the raised step up of the stub. Just a touch though. Some quick lite drill work solved that problem. Though minor prob thought maybe one should be away of. I still love the way these cvds look and feel and I am sure they will stand up to the abuse I plan to throw at them. :)

Locked Up 06-21-2016 06:46 PM

These are back in stock!
"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

XSRCdesign 06-29-2016 09:46 PM

If you know a guy making XR width ones, I know a guy that would buy them

Locked Up 06-30-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSRCdesign (Post 5527068)
If you know a guy making XR width ones, I know a guy that would buy them

We can make anything you want.
"thumbsup"

Couple of questions though...
I'm assuming AR60 outer.
For the inner, do you actually want it XR length and style?
OR XR style cut down to SCX10 length?