Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Broken shock shaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Broken shock shaft

Any one have this happen? The metal shock shaft broke right at the end of the threads where it goes into the lower plastic rod end.
King of Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Sr. Product Developer

Were you removing the shock when it broke or did it break under a fall? We did a lot of drop testing a pretty good heights without failures. I have seen if you are not careful that the shock shaft can bend or break.
It is a Micro and caution needs to be used when removing them.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That is exactly what i was doing. I even read your warning about it before hand. I took special care to grab the plastic rod end as i was trying to remove it but i didnt imagine they would be so weak. I figured out with the others that i should remove the cap first then unscrew the shaft before removing the rod end from the ball. Any chance you guys will replace those with a stronger part?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Im in the same boat.

What do you recomend Rich?

Thanks -Brian
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I called horizon hobbies and the shocks are on back order for at least two weeks. I bought it yesterday drove it once and now.... I am at a loss.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

use a servo case screw as a shock shaft until you can get it replaced.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beers View Post
Any chance you guys will replace those with a stronger part?
Like he said, it's a micro. Larger diameter shafts will require larger shock bodies, requiring more clearance and such. These things are already super tight.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm in the same boat, Mine were bent out of the box and I tried to straighten one and it broke Found another end that worked and glued it on Other than that this thing is a blast!!!
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRiver View Post
Good suggestion!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRiver View Post
It's not the shaft that's the problem it's the end with the broken piece stuck in it thats the prob
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
It's not the shaft that's the problem it's the end with the broken piece stuck in it thats the prob
Sorry, I misread. :
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
im in the same boat... :(
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

mine havent broke, they only bent from constantly removing them, so i bent them back lol
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Like he said, it's a micro. Larger diameter shafts will require larger shock bodies, requiring more clearance and such. These things are already super tight.
Stronger does not necessarily mean larger.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Sorry not trying to revive an old thread, just think it's easiest for Rich is it's all in one place.

I broke one driving around the yard, no real hard falls, a couple tumbles. All of sudden one side just collapsed, Luckily I found the spring.

I applied some ca gel to the shaft and glued it back to the rod end, than wrapped it in some thin solder (not melted) and added more glue, so far it's holding and acting like a bump stuff.

I've been into Micros for years now and I understand all to well about the limits of size, but in this case I think the shocks could use a redesign, does that mean recall, no I don't think so, I think it's just something the aftermarket should handle, they work for the most part they just need to be better.

Oh and just so I don't look like a whinner, AWESOME product Rich, my only real complaint is that it took this long for an RC company to give us what we all wanted. and considering it's suppose to snow today, which is un-freakin-common in Houston I'll be glad to have an indoor crawler.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Were you removing the shock when it broke or did it break under a fall? We did a lot of drop testing a pretty good heights without failures. I have seen if you are not careful that the shock shaft can bend or break.
It is a Micro and caution needs to be used when removing them.

Rich

It is nearly impossible to remove them without breaking them. I used extreme care when I took mine out and still bent/broke 3 out of 4 of them.
_NICO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _NICO_ View Post
It is nearly impossible to remove them without breaking them. I used extreme care when I took mine out and still bent/broke 3 out of 4 of them.
Take the screw out of the top cap first..... ive done this on all mine, had them on and off prolly 10 times between mockup of my scaler and the stock chassis and still have yet to break one.

IMO some peoples care levels just need adjusted to work on such small and fragile parts....

On a side note, i do believe the shock shafts out of the Micro T shocks are stronger, go ahead and switch them out before you break them deeming the bottom end unusable.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

same boat i hope they get them in soon .
aquatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post
Take the screw out of the top cap first..... ive done this on all mine, had them on and off prolly 10 times between mockup of my scaler and the stock chassis and still have yet to break one.

IMO some peoples care levels just need adjusted to work on such small and fragile parts....

On a side note, i do believe the shock shafts out of the Micro T shocks are stronger, go ahead and switch them out before you break them deeming the bottom end unusable.

Agreed, never broke a shock sfat while working on any of my Micro-t's of course the design was different and better.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post

This is exactly how i did it after i broke mine. Much easier!! I ended up using a paperclip and a candle to melt and remove some of the plastic arount the broken threaded end so that i could grab it with a small pair of needle nose and unscrew it. Then i simply solderd the shaft back togeather Now its even stronger than new.