Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Worm gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Worm gears

I saw a post asking about pics of the gears but of course, now I cant find it. I deal with worm gears at work so I know how important it is to keep these things well lubed so I had to open it up and take a look. So here you guys go

They seem OK (hard to see in the pics) but I'm going to add some better grease just to be sure.
samson_simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Very nice thanks!

Good to see bearings in there. What lube is best?

So what do you do for work?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

At least there's some in there; I've heard of others not having hardly any! Plus, the way that setup works, it ends up pushing the grease to one side of the long gear and then what bunches up (assuming there's enough in there to collect sufficiently) get carried back to the beginning with that brass looking gear, so the more grease in there, the better I would think anyhow...
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I haven't had my axles torn down yet. I am just glad the worms aren't plastic. That would of been a letdown for sure. Thanks a ton for posting up the detailed pics. I got some very thick marine grade grease here on the hobby table to go in there. Actually I have everything I need to completly waterPROOF the servo and electronics here on my hobby table..... If I choose to waterproof it I will post up a vid of some underwater crawling. Sno season is upon us
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I took my axles and tranny apart, not much grease in either. I put in some vasiline like stuff, better than what was in there.
danhikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

vasaline is actually a good lubricant. However it also breaks down quickly and becomes very thin.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I used to work in a textile mill as a loom fixer. The looms used worm gears as part of the machine. and depending wether the speed of the material being pulled off the loom needed to be sped up of slowed down according to how fast the material was being woven we would change the worm gears on the side of the machine. I've seen worm gears that were brand new still with the paint on get worn down to nothing over an eight hour shift because someone forgot to grease the gears.

It would almost seem wise to drill a small hole that could be plugged up, so you could add more plastic safe grease regularly. The thicker the better cause those worm gears slide across the sprocket teeth so there is a lot of friction involved.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote