Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Don's BWD Micro Wedge Prototype!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysnarf View Post
exactly what I was planning on doing... Thanks..
You have to drill out the hole to 3/32 of an inch I think. I didn't have one so I used the next smallest drillbit and reamed it a bit bigger with a mini screwdriver. I'm off to get some supplies, then I'll start my own Micro thread. Sorry for the hi-jack......
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #22

any pics on how you did the esc?
4hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

So do you want me to pm you with my shipping info?
slashracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Back to business. Here are some pics RTR guys...battery and ESC mounted and connected in all of these new pics

You can see the ESC in these pics. I pulled the case apart, the switch slides off the case, and put the board in battery heat shrink. Make sure to trim out around the white button, and your servo connection. ESC new weight with heat shrink, 6 grams. The ESC is double sided taped to a small piece of lexan, and the battery is held on a similar piece of lexan via velcro.

I also got tired of messing with these tiny body clips, and since I needed a way to extend my posts given the new super narrow chassis...here's what I came up with. Medium sized fuel tubing slides right onto the stock body posts and is uber tough to pull back off. I then transferred the new holes into the body and pushed some 3mm x 6mm buttonhead screws through the body and into the fuel tubing that extends beyond the stock post. Holds perfectly and the screws are easily removed when you need to swap batteries...but won't come out when it rolls over or flips back.

Now for the first report of it in action...WOW. I knew it would make a difference but there is just no comparisson. It off cambers like the big boys without issue, is skinny enough that it slides over off camber break overs and through cracks without hanging up, and has such a low CG it handles much steeper approach angles. I picked up a second Micro today so I can shoot vids comparing this with the bone stock setup. I'll be working on that all day tomorrow (or tonight if the wife permits )

This rig is so much fun to mess with. Every mod I've done so far is cheap...from mini t rod ends for links to fuel tubing and old 3mm button heads for body mounting. I will of course keep updating as I work on things and add another new upcoming product or two to the build (perhaps later today or at least by this weekend). Videos and action pics are also on the to do list so please stay tuned and feel free to post up feedback.

As for being too much...I have to disagree. The other micro r/c's on the market (especially the other micro losi's) have aluminum upgrades, brushless conversions, and all sorts of other goodies...so why can't micro crawlers have some custom touches of their own, if for nothing else, pure cool factor

Don
BWD
Attached Images

billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Damn, That looks really good.

Availability?
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Damn, That looks really good.

Availability?
HAHA, I posted in your thread about the same time you posted here. I already have some spare side plates here for this...and am trying to get some skids in ASAP. All it takes in addition to that is some losi mini t rod ends, some 2mm all thread, 2 inches of small or medium fuel tubing, and 4 3mm bolts

I am at the mercy of job shops right now which has me currently waiting on Mini Wedges, MOA Wedges, AX-Wedges, and SSS-R's...along with a few other things. Good news is I think we are getting this lag issue resolved now.

Thanks man,

Don
BWD
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Here's a few pics of the Micro Wedge along side the stock Micro...and that's it for me tonight. More updates should be posted tomorrow some time

Don
BWD
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

wow this thread makes me feel funny in the pants
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Dahn man add my name to the ever growing list. Nice Work. Thanks for the eyecandy I think I just put on 10 pounds. lol I am luvin my MicroC as well.
WrenchHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #30
Holdin my 40oz.

Well Don, that is one sick lookin micro chassis! I really like how you did it up. Will definitely be interested in it when it becomes available. As always, great work! I've been a fan of your work from day one. Keep it up!
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

So I was wondering , does the weight of the motor offset the "heavy" weight of that stock batt mounted on the other side like that... I take it you are running the stock batt.. for the testing of your micro wedge? do you plan on switching to the smaller lipos, or prefer the stock nimh?
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So I was wondering , does the weight of the motor offset the "heavy" weight of that stock batt mounted on the other side like that... I take it you are running the stock batt.. for the testing of your micro wedge? do you plan on switching to the smaller lipos, or prefer the stock nimh?
The weight offset by running it there is neglegible, and as the videos will show it side hills and off cambers very nice

I will do at least the first full vid using the stock battery, with no added wheel weight, for an apple to apple comparison with the stock Micro. That said, I will be running a 180 or 200 MAH 2s Lipo along with a bit of wheel weight on my rig for improved wheel speed and to make the sprung/unsprung weight ratio more ideal.

Don
BWD
Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #33

Lots of cool ideas there, I like 'em.

Don't know if you will remember but I was in the shop the other day with my little girl looking at these while you were in there getting some parts. I ended up buying us (OK, her) one after she drove the shop one and loved it. I need another one around the house so we can run together, and may try some of these ideas once I have my own.

Anyway, keep it up!
suchmuchfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchmuchfun View Post
Lots of cool ideas there, I like 'em.

Don't know if you will remember but I was in the shop the other day with my little girl looking at these while you were in there getting some parts. I ended up buying us (OK, her) one after she drove the shop one and loved it. I need another one around the house so we can run together, and may try some of these ideas once I have my own.

Anyway, keep it up!
Thanks. Yeah, I remember. My second one is going to end up being my 3 year old lil girl's...just need a nice princess body for it and she's good to go. I'm prolly gonna take this one up to Roys today to show the guys and play on Patrick's course a bit.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Now i have to ask what your method will be for adding wheel weight? or do you have some micro beadlocks in the mix!??
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I remember. My second one is going to end up being my 3 year old lil girl's...just need a nice princess body for it and she's good to go. I'm prolly gonna take this one up to Roys today to show the guys and play on Patrick's course a bit.
First thing my daughter said after we got in the car was she wanted a clear body to paint purple with pink dots like her Axial. I need to look through her toys and see what might work.

We are also building a portable course out of an old suitcase from the garage sale pile. Should have that done this weekend sometime.
suchmuchfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Now i have to ask what your method will be for adding wheel weight? or do you have some micro beadlocks in the mix!??
I have a few options in the mix...one of which might just be revealed this evening some time
Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchmuchfun View Post
First thing my daughter said after we got in the car was she wanted a clear body to paint purple with pink dots like her Axial. I need to look through her toys and see what might work.

We are also building a portable course out of an old suitcase from the garage sale pile. Should have that done this weekend sometime.
Awesome, I'm taking this thing out to one of my MRC test areas today so I can have some real fun with it...on video
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
I have a few options in the mix...one of which might just be revealed this evening some time
Ah, the anticipation.... what a wonderful feeling. Cant wait to see what you have come up with now.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Well guys, here's another update that I mentioned would be coming along. It's the first ever adjustable wheel weight system for the Losi Micro Crawler. This kit was created with the intention of being ultra budget friendly, while helping maintain a better sprung:unsprung weight ratio.

Here's some weight specs:

Wheels With stock rings = 11 grams
Wheels With 1x #1 (large hole) rings front and back = 16 grams
Wheels with 1x #1 ring back and 1x #2 (small hole) ring front = 18 grams
Wheels With 1x #1 ring back and 1x #3 (solid) ring front = 19 grams

The rings are made from mild steel and will be provided in raw finish. You can polish/brush and clear coat, paint to accent your rig, or run 'em raw for that patina look.

I'm waiting on hardware but you can fit up to two rings on the front of the wheel and the back of the wheel without interference. For two rings up front, countersunk hardware would be recommended. I will have more info on the kits with hardware soon.

Anyway, on to the pics

Don
BWD

BWT, still putting the first vid together but should be done with it soon.
Attached Images