RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Micro-Rock Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/)
-   -   Don's BWD Micro Wedge Prototype! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/214599-dons-bwd-micro-wedge-prototype.html)

billet works 12-02-2009 10:57 PM

Don's BWD Micro Wedge Prototype!

5 Attachment(s)
Well, here's where I got so far tonight...after getting my side plates a few hours ago. Hand made skid and losi mini t rod end links for now. This is a pretty extreme setup for such a small crawler...and a bit more involved than simply swapping side plates out. Unfortunately I broke a shock shaft putting it together a few minutes ago, so I'll have to make a new one tomorrow before I can get some wheel time and make a vid or two.

I've gone ahead and eliminated the servo saver and replaced the stock servo with a Hitec HS5065MG digital metal gear micro servo. It's a tight squeeze but it fits. I'll also be posting up a few more upgrades in the next couple of days :mrgreen:

I'll post up more info and specs tomorrow when I can.

Vid Link on the rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8WhmUuKAw

Vid 2 Link Indoor Challenge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ymKNANVRQ

Impossible Lines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEBOKcR7gM

Don
BWD

2JSC 12-02-2009 11:02 PM

Good god Don... really?! :shock:

Shaun 12-02-2009 11:25 PM

That is awesome! Very nice work. I think you need someone to test it out for you. :D

I can't wait to see more.

username 12-03-2009 12:33 AM

cool beans

Gizmo 12-03-2009 07:51 AM

Great lookin rig! What is your wheelbase now?

billet works 12-03-2009 08:01 AM

Thanks, I'm currently sitting at 4.15"...but I'll be raising the ride height a notch which puts it back down to 4.0". "thumbsup" Wheel base is easy enough to adjust as you simply turn your rod ends in or out to rech desired WB...within reason. Now I'm workin on some sleeves for the lowers and pulled the rec/ESC out of the case (dropped the weight from 11 grams to 6 grams and the size down to 25% thickness). I also ordered up some countersunk hardware for my sides/skid mounting to get rid of those nasty snag points :mrgreen:

billet works 12-03-2009 08:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few flex shots...has about another 1/8" with no batt or wheel weight and will go up a bit more once those are added. Now back to work on that shock :shock:

JeepinOR 12-03-2009 08:30 AM

Nasty! :twisted:

Lookin' extreme, indeed. I like it. More, more!

billet works 12-03-2009 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I got the shock fixed up. Here's what I did to get me by, for those of you who were faced with a broken shock shaft as well. I broke the threaded part off my other front shock so I had an even pair...and left the springs off. Then I scored the end of the shaft in several places to give it some bite. Using the short mini t rod ends I filled the hole with some IC-2000 CA, and placed the shock shaft into it and let dry. Your shock shaft MUST be in your shock body before glueing! Once dry, pull the shock cap off the shock body (small phillips screw), install your shock spring, then put your shock cap back on. Here's what it looks like all done "thumbsup"

Don
BWD

billet works 12-03-2009 10:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
And here's after a bit of body work. I've still got to extend my body posts out to hold the body but this is how it will sit. Now I'm off to pick up some heat shrink for the esc/rec board so I can get this thing crawling :mrgreen:

MrNate 12-03-2009 10:38 AM

Oh man, that's killer! I'm at the point on my MC that I'm going to have to upgrade the chassis to get any more out of it. This one looks like a great option.

The Cow 12-03-2009 10:54 AM

Where do I sign? "thumbsup"

Heath

Big Chris 12-03-2009 11:20 AM

it looks really good but it really is too much for such a small crawler

King of Beers 12-03-2009 11:29 AM

You can never have to much. Looks like a big improvement over the stock frame.

billysnarf 12-03-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Chris (Post 2141787)
it looks really good but it really is too much for such a small crawler

I do not agree... LOL... I want to see more , more , more... I cannot get enough of these little guys.. Push the micro scale to the limit!!

VooDuuChild 12-03-2009 11:37 AM

.....um, too much is never enough...

keep it up!!!

AdverseCity 12-03-2009 11:46 AM

Nice build, I'm off to the hobby store right away to get a servo and a 1/24th scale model body. I've already switched to droop and moved the upper shock mount holes, opened the tranny and axles and greased everything up, moved the battery, added 2 wraps of roofing lead to the front rims, added 1 wrap to the rears and star cut the foams. I just love the fact that upgrading these micros costs so little......

billysnarf 12-03-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdverseCity (Post 2141816)
Nice build, I'm off to the hobby store right away to get a servo and a 1/24th scale model body. I've already switched to droop and moved the upper shock mount holes, opened the tranny and axles and greased everything up, moved the battery and just about everything else you can do without a trip to the LHS. I just love the fact that upgrading these micros costs so little......

just curious did you just drill new holes to lay the shocks down a little?

AdverseCity 12-03-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billysnarf (Post 2141830)
just curious did you just drill new holes to lay the shocks down a little?

No, I just removed the electronics tray and the battery holder and mounted the shocks to those holes. Next, I'm drilling new holes for the upper links to make them more parallel to the lowers and I'll see how that works. Most likely I'll make some new sideplates but I like trying to make the stock chassis better first, it helps me to know what I want in the new chassis.

billysnarf 12-03-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdverseCity (Post 2141862)
No, I just removed the electronics tray and the battery holder and mounted the shocks to those holes. Next, I'm drilling new holes for the upper links to make them more parallel to the lowers and I'll see how that works. Most likely I'll make some new sideplates but I like trying to make the stock chassis better first, it helps me to know what I want in the new chassis.

exactly what I was planning on doing... Thanks..