Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Definative lipo cut-off information?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

Default Definative lipo cut-off information?

Ok. I have read every post in this forum from day one. There have been many observations regarding the lipo cut-off built into the stock electronics. Most people have heard there is a lipo cut-off but I have not seen anyone saying that this cut-off has actually occurred.

Rich (with LOSI) mentioned that it didn't make it in the manual but there is definitely a lipo cut off.

I would like to know at what voltage is the cut-off set for and how many cut-offs do you get?

My observation to this point has been that my rig will "cut-off" (no drive but still steer) then comes back after a few seconds never to cut-off again. According to my charger the battery has @ 6.6v at this point. Is this a good voltage to cut at? My batteries accept full rated charge at this point too (200mah) so it must be a good cut..lol.

It is easy to miss this "one time" lipo cut-off in the the midst of crawling (the way I crawl anyway).

Another theory that I have is that maybe after the first (and only) cut-off the ESC now recognises a lower voltage and now thinks there is a 5 or 6 cell NiMH battery instead of a lipo....therefore no more cut-offs. Doh...I should have looked at the light to see if the color changed!!!!

Again...none of this is official. This is what I have observed and think.

Ultimatley, I would like a revised manual (download..no need to re-issue) to indicate the lipo cut-off details. Then we will know if our rigs are working properly and if we are managing our batteries right.

Any thoughts, observations or corrections?

Thanks
Hankinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i noticed a red light on my esc..wasnt sure myself of the cutoff but the batt took the usual amount..when a new batt its green
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankinator View Post
Ok. I have read every post in this forum from day one. There have been many observations regarding the lipo cut-off built into the stock electronics. Most people have heard there is a lipo cut-off but I have not seen anyone saying that this cut-off has actually occurred.

Rich (with LOSI) mentioned that it didn't make it in the manual but there is definitely a lipo cut off.

I would like to know at what voltage is the cut-off set for and how many cut-offs do you get?

My observation to this point has been that my rig will "cut-off" (no drive but still steer) then comes back after a few seconds never to cut-off again. According to my charger the battery has @ 6.6v at this point. Is this a good voltage to cut at? My batteries accept full rated charge at this point too (200mah) so it must be a good cut..lol.

It is easy to miss this "one time" lipo cut-off in the the midst of crawling (the way I crawl anyway).

Another theory that I have is that maybe after the first (and only) cut-off the ESC now recognises a lower voltage and now thinks there is a 5 or 6 cell NiMH battery instead of a lipo....therefore no more cut-offs. Doh...I should have looked at the light to see if the color changed!!!!

Again...none of this is official. This is what I have observed and think.

Ultimatley, I would like a revised manual (download..no need to re-issue) to indicate the lipo cut-off details. Then we will know if our rigs are working properly and if we are managing our batteries right.

Any thoughts, observations or corrections?

Thanks
At 2:45 in the video Rich states there is a cutoff and the esc is compatable but no details...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-ZP...eature=related
03NCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The Losi Lipo battery has some sort of built-in cut-off. From what i've heard the ESC has not.
In decription of Lipo battery on Losi homepage it is stated that the battery has a cut-off.

Why should Losi have a double cut-off??
KuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuJo View Post
The Losi Lipo battery has some sort of built-in cut-off. From what i've heard the ESC has not.
In decription of Lipo battery on Losi homepage it is stated that the battery has a cut-off.

Why should Losi have a double cut-off??
Because the losi lipo is made for the micro-t which dosent have a lipo cut off esc
savagerb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankinator View Post
how many cut-offs do you get?
I have heard a lot of question but never that one. When it dies, might as well unplug the battery and recharge it. The longer you try to run it after to first cut off, the more of a change that you'll have of messing up the battery. There is no need to keep on going. Min voltage for a lipo is 3V per cell. Sounds like it it cutting off at 3.3V per cell. This is perfectly normal. I usually run 3.3V per cell cutoff in all my stuff anyway, just to be safe.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

TCS has the digital Batt. voltage displays for like $8.

those could held shine a lil light on the issue!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Have no proof of this but it seems the cut off is more of a blip, slight cut off...meaning since it's ok to run nimh's down LOW but not lipo's, is it possible the "cutoff" gets to 6.6v and blips off so you lipo users know it's time to charge but the nimh users can wait it out and keep on runnung??
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I don't know what you mean by a momentary cutoff then it starts to run again.....when mine stops, its done, end of story whether I'm running the nimh or the lipo. The nimh runs slower until it no longer puts out enough juice to spin the worm drives then its done. The lipo runs till the cut off built into the losi battery shuts it off, then its done......there is no wait a minute and it takes off again.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
i noticed a red light on my esc..wasnt sure myself of the cutoff but the batt took the usual amount..when a new batt its green
Lipo runs great - but I too get that Red LED while using [2s] Lipo (even fully charged).

Anyone else?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I've been running my lipos all the way until the cutoff. There is an actual cutoff. The truck will simply not allow power to the motor but allow you to still turn your servo. The voltage of my lipos after the cutoff have been at 6.2x every single time.

I'd say fear not... the cutoff is there.

In case you're wondering, I'm running Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 250mAh 2-cell. It does not have the built in lipo cutoff like the Losi ones do.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
I don't know what you mean by a momentary cutoff then it starts to run again.....when mine stops, its done, end of story. The lipo runs till the cut off built into the losi battery shuts it off, then its done......there is no wait a minute and it takes off again.
That's what happens to me also, running a 240mAh Hyperion lipo and it charges anywhere from 238 to 243 mAh. I've never seen less than 6.6V once I hook it up to the charger either.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote