Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro Mod bible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #81
GJM
Rock Stacker

This is my Micro that I have been working on for a couple of weeks.

1. Home Made Bug Body
2. Hand cut chassis and skid-plate
3. New Links (bottom links have antenna tubing for spacers)
4. Hi-tec Servo
5. Simmed the lower link potions with nylon washers
6. Widened with nylon washers
7. Wheel base lengthened to approx 5"
8. Battery relocated
9. ESC shrink wrapped
10. Double stock foam in the rear tires
11. Weight added to the front with memory foam
12. Rubber band on the rear springs for damping
13. shock relocated
14. cross braces with all threat and antenna tubing
15. Red spring in the front and black in the rear

GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #82
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_ul View Post
One thing I noticed. When mirroring the tranny, you obviously have to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter. Well, this is the wrong way to do it. I noticed that there's more throttle steps on one way than the other (ESC). So in order to get the same throttle resolution going forward, you have to invert (resolder) the motor wires.

Marco
Awesome advice. That was one of my complaints with the lipo was that it was too fast/too powerful to really get controlled slow crawling. Hopefully rewiring the motor will help. Thanks!

Devin
Devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #83

GJM, do you have specs/dimensions on that chassis/skid plate? Looks good and I might have to try making one too.
imnotsogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinb View Post
Awesome advice. That was one of my complaints with the lipo was that it was too fast/too powerful to really get controlled slow crawling. Hopefully rewiring the motor will help. Thanks!

Devin

Just swap the wires at the motor plug or am i missing something? a small flat-head will pop them right out. seams re-soldering the wires is too much work for the same outcome.
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_ul View Post

One thing I noticed. When mirroring the tranny, you obviously have to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter. Well, this is the wrong way to do it. I noticed that there's more throttle steps on one way than the other (ESC). So in order to get the same throttle resolution going forward, you have to invert (resolder) the motor wires.

Marco

Can anyone clarify if this is correct? In stock form, my mini rock crawler and my micro rock crawler go opposite directions (they are both bound to a Losi LSR-3000 that came with the MRC). If Marco is correct, one of them is limited in its potential right from the factory... The MRC came out first, so this would mean that the McRC is backwards when you buy it.

Last edited by cipe; 01-14-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: clarity
cipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #86

Just do the test yourself:

Put your crawler wheels up, where you have no resistance on the wheels. SLOWLY move the throttle trigger in both directions and notice the wheel speed steps.

One way will have 3-4 slower steps before hitting the first step of the opposite direction. You want the direction with the most slower steps to be your forward.

So if you mirror your tranny, leave the servo reversing switch to original position on your transmitter and invert the motor wires instead. You can swap the wire at the connector or resolder on the esc or motor, any way you are the most comfortable with.

In practice, when you put your micro crawler wheels down, you may not see a big difference in the end. Why? Binding may prevent you to benefit those low speed steps. A stronger motor with more torque would also really help to get the most out of the ESC.
marco_ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #87
jwo
Rock Crawler

well i've made some changes to my micro. i was tired of that stock chassis. its very limited. i ended up making my own. its similar in design but has a few changes. i added more shock positions for fine tuning. used different end fittings for the top of the shock to push them in. shocks no longer rub on the top links. the shocks are much smoother now, and i gained more flex. i ended up narrowing the tranny plate, because the material i used was a little thick for my liking. didn't want a little fatty. in the end its the same width as stock. i also ridded it of the body posts and used Velcro mounts on top. the next change was adding more wieght to the front. helped climbing big time. went back to cut foams with the center channeled out. better support. the servo wire is way to long so i dissected it and shortened the wire just long enough to plug into the esc on top of it.i also lengthened the drive shafts due to more flex with it being longer. a paper mate pen tube reamed out was the perfect fit. finally i tried what marco_ul suggested. i don't really notice a big difference, but it did seem to help slow speed. i found that reverse is slightly faster then forward.weird...anyways i got a couple pics so here they are.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

del

Last edited by Alex_Core; 01-26-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Alex_Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

sorry. Has removed messages as they are not actual.

Last edited by Alex_Core; 01-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Alex_Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #90
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCOG View Post
Just swap the wires at the motor plug or am i missing something? a small flat-head will pop them right out. seams re-soldering the wires is too much work for the same outcome.
So I went this route, as it seemed like it would be much easier. Then while trying to take the wires out of the plug, one of the wires came off the motor. So I ended up soldering anyways. And man do I suck at soldering.
Devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Yea, 1 run after i swaped mine i also broke off a wire. this "opertunity" allowed me to replace stock motor wire w/softer more flexable wire.
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #92
Rock Stacker

One more thing... excuse my ignorance (first post!), but how and why do you clock the front axle. Thanks

Marco[/QUOTE]

Clocking your axle has to do with the pinon angle.
you want both axle connection, diff side and trans side to make as straight a line as possible

You adjust the angle by lengthening or shortening the upper or lowwer links
Shorten the bottom links and lengthening the uppers will rotate the axle upward.
macruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinb View Post
So I went this route, as it seemed like it would be much easier. Then while trying to take the wires out of the plug, one of the wires came off the motor. So I ended up soldering anyways. And man do I suck at soldering.
haha.. i did the same thing man..so i robbed the motor from my micro t and tried agian swapping the plug.. worked this time. micro t motor seems to have heat capacitors on it??? thats a good thing i guess
BRUSHLESSAX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Default Micro Boss Claws

Took some Losi eclipse tires and cut off the lugs, then glued them to the stock Rock Claw. BIG improvement on all types of terrain.
Attached Images

Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
Took some Losi eclipse tires and cut off the lugs, then glued them to the stock Rock Claw. BIG improvement on all types of terrain.

what glue did you use dooder?
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #96
RCC Addict

Loctite 406, the best a man can get.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

LOL

good lookin out sir!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #98
rik
RCC Addict

i too reversed the motor wires and did notice a slight improvement on the forward throttle. though, i bought me some non-polorized micro deans and did it that way. i figured if it did not work, just flip the plug...
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

which micro-t springs are ya'll running...the front or rear?
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow View Post
which micro-t springs are ya'll running...the front or rear?
White in the front, red in the rear,...

I like slinky's!
3dRookie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/216157-micro-mod-bible.html
Posted By For Type Date
Breaking The Silence... - TheToyz Forums This thread Refback 10-04-2011 06:23 PM