Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro Mod bible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

It gives you a small amount of droop with softer springs.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #122
Pebble Pounder

hey guys I've see a load of stretched drive shafts using aluminum ... i think its aluminum lol but what kind? what dimensions do you use? do you wrap it? stick solid rod at the tranny end how? and i agree with beelzebob this is a chinese menu we need more pics and details cos I'm a lost newbe at the mo :s
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #123
Quarry Creeper

I used 9/32 aluminum tubing from the local hobby shop. I think it was K&S Engineering brand.

I cut my stock driveshaft in half, slid one half into one end of the aluminum tube, the other half into the other & used super glue (CA) to bond the new shaft together. The length of the aluminum tubing depends on the individual rigs new wheelbase.

Its pretty simple, really- if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, it will kind of explain itself once you get started.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
I used 9/32 aluminum tubing from the local hobby shop. I think it was K&S Engineering brand.

I cut my stock driveshaft in half, slid one half into one end of the aluminum tube, the other half into the other & used super glue (CA) to bond the new shaft together. The length of the aluminum tubing depends on the individual rigs new wheelbase.

Its pretty simple, really- if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, it will kind of explain itself once you get started.
Exactly as explained...

T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

I know this is is something a good number of people swap in either for a binding issue or to act as a heatsink so I tossed a how to together for the Hot racing trans case. Even has pictures!

How to: Hot Racing trans case
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #126
Pebble Pounder

have swapped out the origional motor with a bb2 motor.
that's about it lol.

mods to come.
replace links
washer wheel weights
stretched drive shafts
hitec 65 mg
Hot racing bead locks
rock smashers
led set (home made)
micro deans
wall charger 12v 400mah charger mod
replace wires with 16awg silicone flex
and i might decase the esc/ex but i don't know yet
will post before and after pics
Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjasper1988 View Post
that's about it lol.

mods to come.
replace links
washer wheel weights
stretched drive shafts
hitec 65 mg
Hot racing bead locks
rock smashers
led set (home made)
micro deans
youre gonna want a pinch chasis at least too and get the bwd wheels much nicer but this is a thread for posting new mods that you recommend
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #128
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjasper1988 View Post
that's about it lol.

mods to come.
replace links
washer wheel weights
stretched drive shafts
hitec 65 mg
Hot racing bead locks
rock smashers
led set (home made)
micro deans
ok i got my 16awg silicone flex and just realised how big it it :s ill order the 22awg i think lol
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #129

Here's the list so far:
BWD Vertex's
Rock Crushers
Lipo
Inboard upper shock mounts front and rear
Shaved down tie rod
Trimmed and flipped plate on rear axle
Shock spring removal (droop set up)
Switched around electronics
Deans plugs
Tappered,dovetailed and chopped Scout 2
Coil spring limit straps
Foams out of tires
Tow strap
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #130
Pebble Pounder

can someone put up a pic of inboard and out board shocks cos I'm clueless.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #131

Default shock mounts

here's how I got it done
Old 12-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

So I just read through this whole thread. Lots of great information. I am thinking about getting one of these. What I want to know is, after all these mods, are you all happy with the performance? Do they crawl good with these mods? Or are you still left with a lot to desire?
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #133

Thumbs up mods

the inboard shocks got me an extra 1/4" more flex.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #134
Pebble Pounder

re wire using 22awg noodle silicone wire and micro deans, also of you wanna show off with some lights use the stock connectors and solder one onto the deans that accepts the battery then your ready for leds
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
So I just read through this whole thread. Lots of great information. I am thinking about getting one of these. What I want to know is, after all these mods, are you all happy with the performance? Do they crawl good with these mods? Or are you still left with a lot to desire?
Well.

Me and the Girl got ours a year ago.

Stock the were fun for about a month.

Then they sat for about 9months until I got all motivated and such.

SCale. If you done get yourself a micro frame chassis and a 1/24th scale model truck, the fun is endless.

At local comps and get togethers, everyone is amazed at how cool, and yet capable my lil Commando is.

As far as a capable rig, like a comp style, you need a few things.

New chassis, wheel wideners, new tires and rims.

I am partial to the BWD's chassis. Mine is a lil secret waiting @ home for the last 3 parts.

Its going to be the most capable micro ever
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

Default steering beef up and repair.......free!!!

My steering pitman/servo arm busted between the servo mount hole and draglink ball hole. I took a paper clip and matched the shape of the arm, then used lock-tite super glue. Works like a champ. I'd recommend this as a first upgrade before it breaks.

Last edited by Midlife Crisis; 12-31-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #137

Default 3/4" electrical knockouts for wheel weights

These are 3/4" electrical knockouts and they are nearly perfect size for full faced wheel weights and thick enough with the right drill bits to countersink the screws. I just got my MCRC and this Mod Bible has been a huge help. I found this mod myself and thought I'd share.

If you buy this one you get 6 blanks for your customization pleasure..... LOL.....

oh forgot to mention the 3/8" and 1/2" washers as well just as reference... Sorry don't have picks of those search function should help.

Last edited by ashman; 12-31-2010 at 08:23 PM.
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #138
Pebble Pounder

Smile What is the best battery for losi micro crawler ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Ive been trying to fit 4 cells from my 18R battery. I think it runs fine on 4.8 volts and with 1200mah I can run the thing for an hour. Plan is to have 2 cells on the rear axle and two on the front.

Anyone else try this or have any thoughts?
Hi could you tell me where to buy these battery's as i would love for my micro crawler to run for an hour thanks
ben'smicrocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #139
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
What I want to know is, after all these mods, are you all happy with the performance? Do they crawl good with these mods? Or are you still left with a lot to desire?
If you compare the performance w/ the mods against the performance straight outta the box, there's no question about it- you've gotta be happy w/ the modified performance.

I've done a good amount of the mods here, & I'm real happy w/ mine. It crawls a hundred times better. And I still have the stock chassis & run the stock tires/rims (although I did the PVC beadlocks, added solder, & ditched the foams).
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
If you compare the performance w/ the mods against the performance straight outta the box, there's no question about it- you've gotta be happy w/ the modified performance.

I've done a good amount of the mods here, & I'm real happy w/ mine. It crawls a hundred times better. And I still have the stock chassis & run the stock tires/rims (although I did the PVC beadlocks, added solder, & ditched the foams).

I read the mod bible and I just bought mine. I ordered all the hop ups I knew I would want beforehand. If you crawl all of them need hop ups directly out of the box (I.E. AX10, SCX10, CC-01, I dont have an XR10 wish I did). Biggest upgrade to a crawler is always a low COG the companies just don't ever get it right. Also reading the forums you will see the factory glitches. I instantly bought/did the following:

DP Torsion - To fix the stock you could cut or buy springs but for a few more bucks you can get rid of the springs and upper arms all together (boil it like dogbreath says tried it both ways boiled=better), also run it loose I use the .050" hex to gap the torsion arms away from the mounts for consistency or a spark plug gap gauge for fine tuning, and as an added bonus BTA steering in the future

Hitec 65MG - More torque is always better and goodbye servo saver

HR trans case - Heard about the binding issue and also aluminum heavier and acts as a motor heatsink maybe a little more weight lower in the chassis as well

Losi Lipo - Wheel speed, torque, and run time improvement

Glued the slipper - This rig is way too light to need a slipper

Remove the tire foams and start playing with different weights in the wheels an absolute must especially in a torsion chassis. There is no perfect weight it all deponds on you and how/what you drive on. GooBGone the stock claws they are soft but the tread lugs are stiff to me.

I have also ordered HR beadlocks and RC4WD Rok Lox. Played with the PVC beadlock idea not a permanent enough fix to me. Wheel weight requires too much trial and error for the little screws and plastic wheels to take.

Conclusion:
As expected it needs mods its an RC car, plus I can't have anything stock LOL. Out of the box just as all the vids on youtube show top HEAVY rollover happy. After mods whoa this thing can crawl some pretty impressive shiz, Still working on getting some better side hilling action, I expect it will come with new tires right wheel weight and the full break in of my nearly new chassis. So much cheaper to mod then the big guys!!!Other things i expect to upgrade soon as I can:

Getbent's 80T/90T motor
Custom bent links for the lowers only haha the tops are done.
Crawlerx or other Wheel spacers for some added width

Just my .02

Just go buy one mod it and if you are like me take it across the world to the desert on an upcoming deployment for the good ole USAF.
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-micro-rock-crawler/216157-micro-mod-bible.html
Posted By For Type Date
Breaking The Silence... - TheToyz Forums This thread Refback 10-04-2011 06:23 PM