Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Thoughts on Lipo?

Having played with a micro-T a bit I had a couple spare stock batteries and a pair of Lipo batteries before I bought the McCR. For the most part I have been using the stock batteries. The other day I tossed the Lipo on and I can't say I was pleased. Torque was better, but I have a much harder time getting the thing to crawl, rather than speed over everything. My low speed control is all but gone. I want to give it more time, and I'm sure if I had a better tx I could dial a bit of the low speed back into use. I do think the extra torque has potential. I, just think the wheel speed it now too much and the low speed control is minimal. What have you experienced?
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i have not got my micro yet, its in the mail, but from what i have dead on here so far is you can get alot more control out of a smaller pinion gear and larger spur gear if im right. im sure someone will correct me if im not. i have also read that the micro t spur and pinion will work. hope ya figure it out, i ordered me 2 280mah lipos off ebay they are shipping as well. ill let you know what i figure out when they get in
88gmchog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I know the stock transmitter has crappy low speed control, maybe the throttle increments are to large, I'm not sure. My buddy was using his stock losi mini crawler transmitter and he had the same problem. He's now using a DX2.0 and says it's way better, I've been using a DX3R since day one so I'm not sure but on 2 cell lipo it has plenty of low speed control. I tossed in the Atomic BB2 motor and lost a bit but very minimal, it still crawls pretty good and has enough wheel speed to pop wheelies when going from reverse to forward. I've heard you can run a 1 cell lipo to tone down the speed a bit but haven't tried it yet.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yes, definitely with a better Tx, you could get your low speed control back. It could even be done with a different ESC (like a 1/18th Sidewinder, for example). Both the Tx and the CC ESC have the ability to write throttle profiles. A profile similar to an exponential curve will give you more low speed control. I set up my comp crawler like this...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I've been using a DX3R since day one so I'm not sure but on 2 cell lipo it has plenty of low speed control.
X2, LiPo has been good to me.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a 2c lipo with all stock electronics including the Tx and I have complete control over every speed with my micro. Maybe I just got a well built Tx with mine but I have zero complaints. I have however seen videos where it almost looks like the driver has an on off switch for the throttle when they are driving, that would bug the crap outa me
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have been running lipo only since day 2 with the crawler and will certainly not go back, I bought a BND though and have it bound to my dx3r so I was able to dial back the lower half of the trigger.

I have run an RTR on the lipo as well and certainly know what you mean about lack of low speed control.

I love the extra power and wheel speed and certainly will not be going back to nimh.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

We have a lot of our customers picking up the our Thunder Power 250 2S for there micros. Never heard of anyone having any problems with no lowend yet. Everyone seems to really love the extra wheel speed and torque!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm about to try the lower pinion, even though I use the stock battery and a lipo. Low end is fine with the stocker but tricky with lipo, especially when I just want to creep.
The wheel speed is nice, though.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Yeah I really do think it is the tx/esc combo that makes the low end an issue. I know its there, and I know with a better system ahead of the battery/motor that I would be able to use it, just that with the stock RTR electronics I have troubles getting the thing to creep around. With the NiMH I could run it from just starting to roll all the way to wide open. I think with the extra voltage though and the RTR electronics that finding that rolling pace is much harder with Lipo. I guess that give me a better reason to buy a new controller.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

after getting mine today, i ran it once with the stocker and tossed it aside for the lipos and never looked back. im running a 280mah lipo and love it, i dropped to the smallest pinion and largest spur gear and it does fine, i would like more low end too but im happy
88gmchog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I am running the Atomic BBII motor, 350 2S Lipo and have no problem at all with even the slowest creep
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote